PDA

View Full Version : Another great meal from Skurka!!!

saltysack
09-30-2017, 18:44
I hate Ramen.....but made this today out of boredom and can say it was awesome!!!!

https://youtu.be/z7xlhToKSTI

Dogwood
09-30-2017, 19:56
Several including ahem myself have shared similar beginning many yrs ago and as recently as yesterday. I like SOBA gluten free buckwheat Noodles, which are much more nutritious than the CHEAP Nissen or Maruchuan brand ramen, cutting out the siracha, and alternatively using tahini(sesame seed paste, found in mainstream grocery stores, can be used similarly as other nut and seed butters) but almond or PB can be substituted for the tahini. It's enjoyed cold, tepid or heated. I's similar to what you find served cool on some Chinese Food menus. A large tablespoon of sesame seeds and some fresh chopped chives round out the meal with possibly some thinly sliced red and yellow sweet peppers. For the siracha alternatively a dry packet of red pepper flakes can be used. Delish cold too. I like that Andrew adds EVOO.

Venchka
09-30-2017, 21:53
He has a new favorite? Yesterday's favorite was the beans, rice, cheese and Fritos.
I'll have to try the peanut sauce. Plain and simple. I have some Udon noodles in the fridge. Thanks!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
09-30-2017, 22:07
I hate Ramen.....but made this today out of boredom and can say it was awesome!!!!

https://youtu.be/z7xlhToKSTI

You aren't buying the right Ramen.
https://www.theramenrater.com/2017/04/17/top-ten-instant-noodles-2017/
Chapagetti is good.
https://www.theramenrater.com/2012/06/06/re-review-meet-the-manufacturer-nongshim-chapagetti-chajang-noodle/
Asian markets have the good stuff.
Wayne

Venchka
09-30-2017, 22:15
The other favorite.
https://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/
Enjoy.
Wayne

saltysack
09-30-2017, 23:15
Several including ahem myself have shared similar beginning many yrs ago and as recently as yesterday. I like SOBA gluten free buckwheat Noodles, which are much more nutritious than the CHEAP Nissen or Maruchuan brand ramen, cutting out the siracha, and alternatively using tahini(sesame seed paste, found in mainstream grocery stores, can be used similarly as other nut and seed butters) but almond or PB can be substituted for the tahini. It's enjoyed cold, tepid or heated. I's similar to what you find served cool on some Chinese Food menus. A large tablespoon of sesame seeds and some fresh chopped chives round out the meal with possibly some thinly sliced red and yellow sweet peppers. For the siracha alternatively a dry packet of red pepper flakes can be used. Delish cold too. I like that Andrew adds EVOO.

I’ll try the soba noodles but what’s wrong with siracha? Curious?

saltysack
09-30-2017, 23:20
The other favorite.
https://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/
Enjoy.
Wayne

Yep...I laughed when he gave the same exact intro as its his favorite meal......think I posted that one also..I will say those two meals are way better than any dehydrated or freeze dried meal I’ve bought.....

Venchka
10-01-2017, 03:16
Yep...I laughed when he gave the same exact intro as its his favorite meal......think I posted that one also..I will say those two meals are way better than any dehydrated or freeze dried meal I’ve bought.....

I'll have to give both an effort. On the other hand, I rather like some of the Mountain House meals. Nothing could be easier. They are bulky in the food bag.
More meal practice on the deck.

DrL
10-01-2017, 07:50
Both recipes are great and are regular additions to my menu.

You can make curry peanut noodles without premixing the ingredients.

Dry bag:
Ramen
Golden Raisins
Curry powder

Sauce packets:
2 x Justin's Honey Peanut Butter (the honey version is MUCH easier to work with)
1 x soy sauce packet
1 x sriracha packet
1 x olive oil packet

saltysack
10-01-2017, 09:58
Both recipes are great and are regular additions to my menu.

You can make curry peanut noodles without premixing the ingredients.

Dry bag:
Ramen
Golden Raisins
Curry powder

Sauce packets:
2 x Justin's Honey Peanut Butter (the honey version is MUCH easier to work with)
1 x soy sauce packet
1 x sriracha packet
1 x olive oil packet

I try to avoid so much trash and expense of all the lil packets...think I’ll try to simply add the ingredients in a quart freezer bag before the trip. Heat water then add to bag, stir and put in cozy.. all the ingredients are shelf stable so don’t see an issue. I love curry so I’ll have to try adding that thx

Venchka
10-01-2017, 10:30
Don't overlook the PINT freezer bags. Or maybe those are just for me. I don't get hiker hungry at altitude.
Packets are easy at junk food fast food stops. Sometimes. Or use the 1 and 2 ounce Nalgene bottles at the Container Store or sometimes loose at REI. But then that's a handful of stuff to manage.
Or a bushel of peanut m&m's, Jerky and instant breakfast?

Dogwood
10-01-2017, 16:12
A Taste of Thai brand offers a dry peanut

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dogwood
10-01-2017, 16:14
A Taste of Thai offers a 3.5 oz dry peanut sauce ready to go. I find one package good for 2 to 3 meals as Skurka laid out.

saltysack
10-02-2017, 15:01
A Taste of Thai offers a 3.5 oz dry peanut sauce ready to go. I find one package good for 2 to 3 meals as Skurka laid out.

Thx....I’ll try it

saltysack
10-02-2017, 15:27
A Taste of Thai brand offers a dry peanut

Do you see an issue with simply pre mixing skurkas recipie with crushed ramen style noodles several days before use in ziplock and simply add hot water when ready to eat?

Venchka
10-02-2017, 17:10
I found powered coconut milk at my favorite organic inorganic food emporium today. Will that work for the peanut sauce and just add water at cooking time?

What's wrong with smashing the ramen noodles at cooking time? I wouldn't mix any wet stuff with the noodles before I hit the trail. I can break the noodles into 6-8-10 chunks without breaking the package.
Wayne

saltysack
10-02-2017, 20:07
I found powered coconut milk at my favorite organic inorganic food emporium today. Will that work for the peanut sauce and just add water at cooking time?

What's wrong with smashing the ramen noodles at cooking time? I wouldn't mix any wet stuff with the noodles before I hit the trail. I can break the noodles into 6-8-10 chunks without breaking the package.
Wayne

Good pt...I really liked the taste and calorie content of his recipe...actually ate it for lunch today....probably best to keep ramen separate till ready to add water...

Venchka
10-02-2017, 20:45
There are lots of ways to buy noodles that cook fast and are packaged by themselves.
High end and good. I can find them in East Texas.
http://www.hakubaku.com.au/en/products/us/
Wayne

Another Kevin
10-03-2017, 17:30
Yeah, nothing wrong with good ramen. Maruchan is not good ramen.

I like mine with tomato sauce (Harmony House tomato powder, dehydrated veggies, spices), soppressata sausage and string cheese.

Luna Anderson
10-07-2017, 05:11
Love this recipe but we have to bring a lot of ingredients if we want to cook this peanut noodles when camping outside. I just bring my solo stove and some noodles packages for cooking. Btw, my favorite camping recipe is Campfire Cinnamon Buns, it's delicious and easy to prepare. I have included a few great campfire recipes in my blog http://hikertrack.com/campfire-breakfast/. You can choose the best one for myself. Cheers!

blw2
10-07-2017, 05:29

I like mine with tomato sauce (Harmony House tomato powder, dehydrated veggies, spices), soppressata sausage and string cheese.
Yeah I guess I've never had "good" ramen...
I ate so much of the stuff back in my college days....a great way to fill up on a budget. I think it was 6 packs for $1 back then....but I could have that wrong. All I can say I had my fill. I Haven't had ramen since...and that was a long long time ago.....
well now that I think about it that's not exactly right, The Loop does a Crunchy Broccoli salad I like, instead of croutons it has what looks to be broken bits of dry ramen browned in butter or oil

Maybe some of these days I'll have to get into an asian market and try some of the "good stuff"

Venchka
10-07-2017, 20:04
My link a few posts back are for Japanese style noodles that cook quickly. Just the noodles. No Spice Packet of Death usually found in the generic cheap ramen.
If you can find an Asian market you should be able to find decent Korean ramen.
On the other hand, good noodles are all you need and add your own stuff to the noodles.
Tortellini works as well.
Wayne

rocketsocks
10-08-2017, 10:02
Hey, I like ramen as much as the next guy...but I'd never refer to it as great!

Venchka
10-08-2017, 11:33
Hey, I like ramen as much as the next guy...but I'd never refer to it as great!

Ramen has taken on a negative connotation in the context of the 10 for a $1.00 variety of noodles in cellophane packaging.
In reality, Ramen is a type of noodle. Organic varieties even.
Google: The Ramen Rater.
Once in awhile I’ll go nuts and buy a $2.00 package of Ramen in search of the perfect trail meal. I’m still looking.
Wayne

Venchka
10-08-2017, 11:53
I like this particular version of Ramen. It comes in a hiker hunger size too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/08b103dfb088d86949356134ab8a342a.jpg
Wayne

rocketsocks
10-08-2017, 17:29
I like this particular version of Ramen. It comes in a hiker hunger size too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/08b103dfb088d86949356134ab8a342a.jpg
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCool, I'll look that over...I like this fella.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHoQN9vQwHE

Venchka
10-08-2017, 17:46
I guess they didn’t hear about time lapse video?
Wayne

rocketsocks
10-08-2017, 22:51
I guess they didn’t hear about time lapse video?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkyup, the first 4 mins were painful, I should've told ya that.

Venchka
10-08-2017, 23:06
LOL! Tanks!
Wayne

taylorshiver
10-10-2017, 13:17
I need to give this a try.

My wife thinks I am crazy for doing sample meals for my section hike coming up :)

Venchka
10-10-2017, 18:50
It’s even crazier to get way back in the woods and find out that Knoor Sides and Tuna in Foil make you GAAAGGG!
Experimenting on my deck is relatively painless knowing that a PB&J is handy if the latest Internet Recipe proves to be inedible.
Wayne

Venchka
10-10-2017, 18:51
Knorr Sides. Sorry.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
10-11-2017, 16:18

I like Sapporo Ichiban Ramen. It's been around for a very long time. It translates as "Sapporo's Number One Ramen". It really isn't from Sapporo, but Sapporo was historically the Ramen capital of Japan, so this is just a bit of marketing. When I lived in Sapporo, the locals would still make fun of it, but it is still way better than the 10 for a dollar grocery store ramen.

The_John_Muir_Way
10-18-2017, 16:32
thanks for the link, that looks really good and easy!

brswan
10-18-2017, 18:52
Looks tasty. I may have to try it