PDA

View Full Version : How do you ruggedize your phone for the trail?

DownEaster
10-01-2017, 04:22
I've got an Android phone (Moto G4) which I want to take on the AT with me next year. It's not waterproof or shockproof, so I want to add some extra protection. What's the best way to go about that? I'll likely want to have a headset plugged in, so sealing it away in a plastic bag wouldn't be good for me. (The FM radio app uses the headset wire as its antenna, which is the reason for using a wired headset instead of going strictly bluetooth.)

Traveler
10-01-2017, 05:14
An Otter Box would probably work to keep the phone from being damaged due to rough handling. You can make your own protective cushioning but not much beats the OBs in terms of ruggedness. That would probably be the easiest way to protect the device, though it may cost a few dollars.

Waterproof won't be an option if you want to use a plug in set of ear buds, but water resistant can be as easy as a baggie with a wire tie around the cord. It won't stop the phone from taking on water eventually or slowly if dropped in a stream, but would prevent the phone from taking on water in heavy rain when your stuff gets waterlogged.

rafe
10-01-2017, 06:14
Otterbox case for my Samsung S4.

peakbagger
10-01-2017, 06:15
There are mil spec androids out there. I have one as when I am jobsites it gets beat up. Its impact resistant and waterproof. The own side is the ones offered generally have fewer features and older operating systems.

DownEaster
10-01-2017, 07:05
An Otter Box would probably work to keep the phone from being damaged due to rough handling.
I went to otterbox.com and their newest model for Motorola phones is for the 3rd generation, so they don't accommodate G4 devices.

DownEaster
10-01-2017, 07:06
There are mil spec androids out there. I have one as when I am jobsites it gets beat up. Its impact resistant and waterproof. The own side is the ones offered generally have fewer features and older operating systems.
Yeah, I'm not interested in buying a new (replacement) phone with old technology just for greater durability.

ScareBear
10-01-2017, 07:28
I've got an Android phone (Moto G4) which I want to take on the AT with me next year. It's not waterproof or shockproof, so I want to add some extra protection. What's the best way to go about that? I'll likely want to have a headset plugged in, so sealing it away in a plastic bag wouldn't be good for me. (The FM radio app uses the headset wire as its antenna, which is the reason for using a wired headset instead of going strictly bluetooth.)

https://www.yogaoutlet.com/p/aquapac-mp3-case-39895/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInbWUv6jP1gIVxluGCh2ptga8EAQYBSAB EgK2o_D_BwE

ScareBear
10-01-2017, 07:29
There is also a Pelican case, for the ultimate in waterproof durability....

https://www.adorama.com/pli1015cb.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInbWUv6jP1gIVxluGC h2ptga8EAQYAyABEgLwvvD_BwE

Google is your friend...

Cheyou
10-01-2017, 07:37
I use a Sangean DT180 radio . Like having AM for baseball and DXing . Use a Merit case for iPhone se . Very happy with the durability of the case . Good luck finding a case .

Leo L.
10-01-2017, 08:05
The smartphone I'm using (Sony X3 compact) is waterproof. Other than I did take it once to a little canyoning excursion where it got fully dipped into water several times, I never really needed the waterproof ferature while hiking. Smartphones, even waterproof ones, don't work in rain anyway (raindrops on the screen will be interpreted as translated into user interaction - a most unwanted scenario). I doubt if you would have your phone running in radio mode during a downpour? More likely you would pack it away (in a waterproof bag) until better conditions.

I put my phone in a plastic casing covering its back and around the edges, and put a Gorilla glass atop the screen.
Both accessoires saved my phone several times from demage when it dropped. Both were cheap and easy to replace.

rafe
10-01-2017, 08:17
Otterbox may not have a fit for the G4 but Google does show loads of options, including ruggedized cases.

egilbe
10-01-2017, 08:38
I put my phone in my pocket and leave it there, unless I’m taking a picture. Stream crossings, I put it in a ziplock. I prefer the sounds of nature while I’m hiking, or conversations with my gf, rather than the discordant sounds techno-noise.

MuddyWaters
10-01-2017, 08:48
Ziplock, in pocket

eblanche
10-01-2017, 10:00
I took my several years old Motorola incredible 4g lte non waterproof anything on my AT through hike last year with no case or screen protector garbage and never had a single incident. I would ziplock bag it during rain though which limited pictures and did not use it for music so no issues with the cord. With that said, I just got a new phone and went backpacking and first day out I let it slide out of my pocket and dunk directly into the stream while trying to get water. The phone was submerged for a good few seconds. I think this phone (moto g5 plus) must be water resistant at least because the phone was unaffected.

No experience with cases as I dislike how much bulk they generally add.

RangerZ
10-01-2017, 10:03
Otterbox for my iPhone. I accidently dropped a phone once and drop kicked it in stride. It bounced and skittered about 10' down the sidewalk. The Otterbox was beat up but the phone was fine.

The Otterbox isn't waterproof so when I go out I put it in a Loksak also. My Anker battery is also in a Loksak..

I also have a piece of cardboard cut to cover the Loksak screen to (maybe) further protect it.

My phone usually rides in the mesh pocket on the underside of my lid. If it's actively raining it goes inside the pack liner.

The phone isn't for entertainment but safety and info - "I'm ok" texts, weather, radar, etc - when there is service.

My question is - what are the most durable earbuds? My wires eventually break at the earbud or plug.

TwoSpirits
10-01-2017, 10:21
I used to keep my phone in a ziplock in my pocket, but it was a drag everytime I needed to pull it out for pictures (which tends to be fairly frequently.) I dropped the bag a few times due to wet fingers, and wasn't always confident that I had the bag closed properly. I never actually damaged the phone with water or drops, but it was a hassle and a worry and I was willing to pay for it to become a non-hassle.

My most recent phone (S7) has a Lifeproof case - waterproof & shockproof, and has an adapter that will let you use your headphones if you like. It's not cheap -- something north of $50 I think -- but worth it to me for the peace of mind.

MisterMoon
10-01-2017, 10:48
Lifeproof cases work pretty well in my experience during a lot of small boat sailing expeditions in salt water. One would work just fine for an AT hike. Salt water in small boats is about as tough as it get for electronics, and Lifeproof passed the test for me.

Hikingjim
10-01-2017, 11:06
I just use my standard lightweight case with tempered glass, and then have a ziplock for when it's needed. Never had an issue
Anything truly waterproof (like the pelican case) is heavy.

They do have cases similar to the style below that are not typically very heavy, which I use canoeing to keep a gps map up, and you can use navigate through the plastic. But the annoyance would be far too much for hiking, where it's not really needed
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1430WQ/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bAEU2tn_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDK IKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=9VCSPBNAXSV6NW8953FK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=511130d8-a1ba-575a-afbe-7e08ec08db1c&pf_rd_i=9375358011

Venchka
10-01-2017, 11:30
I treat my ancient iPhone 5s the same no matter where I am. Carefully.
Double Ziplock bags handy when backpacking.
I haven't broken it in daily use for years. Why would I suddenly break it in the woods?
Think about it. The phone gets virtually no use in a backpacking situation. Where I go I loose cell coverage miles before I leave pavement. Then another 30-40 miles on dirt roads. Then more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
10-01-2017, 11:32
Otterbox for my Samsung Galaxy 5(?) 6(?) plus a screen cover. Dropped, rained on, puddles, etc. with no problem until I dropped it on a granite sidewalk in Vermont. Cracked the screen in a "Y" formation, but this has NO effect on functionality.

Played my music from my phone in the wet and rain with NO problems.

Venchka
10-01-2017, 11:37
... miles on trail. I look at the phone occasionally for a Guthook position update and a photo now and then.
The phone is safer backpacking than at home.
Stop worrying.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
10-01-2017, 11:48
I just put my phone in a plastic bag (zip lock) when it was raining. The rest of the time it rode in the waist belt side pocket. The only "protection" I gave it was one of those plastic screen covers to keep from scratching the display up.

I found this waterproof bag with integral headphone jack and lanyard at Walmart. But it's only good for small phones, I can't fit my big 5.5" screen phone in it.

DownEaster
10-01-2017, 15:17
OK, so a lot of suggestions, but not many applicable to the Moto G4.

Best ruggedization approach without adding too much weight seems like an impact-absorbing case for the back and sides (either silicone gel or TPU) plus a tempered glass screen protector. If it rains, pop it in a Ziploc and do without FM radio for local weather forecasts until I get to shelter. I'd prefer one of those cell phone dry bags in place of the Ziploc, but haven't found any that work with a phone that's larger than 6" (Moto G4 is just over 6.25").

What's better for impact protection: silicone gel or thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU)?

Analog_Kidd
10-01-2017, 15:41
I found an interesting package at work that some hardware was delivered in. It looks like one of the ziplocks with the sliding closure, but it is made up of bubble wrap. I snagged it, thinking i could use it to keep my electronics in.

You could easily make a similar pouch out of bubble wrap and duct tape. Put phone in a ziplock, and then in the bubble wrap pouch. Won't protect it while you are using it, tho.

Venchka
10-01-2017, 15:45
OK, so a lot of suggestions, but not many applicable to the Moto G4.

What's better for impact protection: silicone gel or thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU)?
Don't drop it. Keep it in a secure pocket or the pack.
Disrupt the addiction.
Wayne

Dogwood
10-01-2017, 16:08
I know this isn't what you want but I began from the get go by looking at smartphones for backpacking that had good impact and water resistance. I then used an otter box and gorilla glass. I still broke the gorilla glass. IMO if the camera, phone, fm radio, music, compass, etc isn't able to be readily at hand able to readily employ I'm hamstringing myself on trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
10-01-2017, 16:48
FM radio stations give local weather forecasts? I though they stopped doing that years ago. But then, I gave up on trying to listen to FM stations while hiking a long time ago too. They keep fading in and out, if I can even find one I can stand listening to.

If it's raining, your probably not going to use your earphones anyway. I seemed to ruin a pair that way. But if you do, putting the phone in a ziplock and just having the headphone cord come out a corner of the bag works.

axmdr40
10-01-2017, 17:00
I've found the Pelican water tight case to be the best...Lifeproof was apparently not Abram-proof.

scrabbler
10-01-2017, 17:07
By the time you add all of that protection, and no guarantee it still wont break or suffer damage, you have something twice as bulky. I keep my phone naked, and have Samsung insurance that covers me no matter what happens. Its about the cost of a few of those high end cases people are mentioning. If you have a high end phone, it makes sense to me. If it's just a run of the mill android, keep it backed up and just buy refurbs as needed.

bigcranky
10-01-2017, 18:14
I put my phone in a ziploc bag, then inside my ditty bag of personal gear, which is inside my pack liner inside my pack. Needless to say I don't use the phone much on the trail....

My wife uses her phone for photos, GPS, a journal, a guidebook, databook, etc., so she needs quick access. Hers is in a Lifeproof case, attached to a short length of spectra cord, carried inside her waist pack for easy access. The cord keeps it from hitting the ground when she drops it. :)

Puddlefish
10-01-2017, 18:24
Moto X 2, was supposed to be splash resistant, so I just took it naked onto the trail with no problems. Of course within a few days of being home, it fell all of twelve inches onto a wooden floor and the screen cracked.

Feral Bill
10-01-2017, 18:40
Leave it at home, or in the car.

D2maine
10-01-2017, 18:45
power bear iphone case (for the battery and protection) and a ziplock

scrabbler
10-01-2017, 19:28
Leave it at home, or in the car.
And instead carry your watch, your journal, your pen, your flashlight, your camera, your calendar, your trip notes, your maps, and your GPS, etc. Makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Venchka
10-01-2017, 19:36
power bear iphone case (for the battery and protection) and a ziplock

Wrong phone.
Wayne

D2maine
10-01-2017, 19:44
Wrong phone.
Wayne

they make em for other phones...and the thread title is "how do YOU ruggedize YOUR phone..."

so um thanks for playing...i guess

Ethesis
10-01-2017, 19:46
I put my phone in my pocket and leave it there, unless I’m taking a picture. Stream crossings, I put it in a ziplock. I prefer the sounds of nature while I’m hiking, or conversations with my gf, rather than the discordant sounds techno-noise.

zip locks for the Win.

saltysack
10-01-2017, 20:18
Lifeproof if they offer one for it...

evyck da fleet
10-01-2017, 21:04
Lifeproof case for my phone and a cheap MP3 player for a few extra ounces for music. I don't burn thru my phone battery listening to music before I go to bed and carry a dual charger.

Emerson Bigills
10-01-2017, 21:23
Like Muddy said, just put it in a ziplock. If you want to listen to music or if the weather is great, you can have it out of the plastic. If it is raining or starts to rain, make sure it is in the bag. As for pictures, if it is raining, there usually are not many photo ops. Probably had my phone in the pouch on my belt strap 98% of the time. If it had been hanging on the outside, I would have likely taken more pictures, but there is a higher probability it would have gotten banged up.

My Android was in an Otterbox before I left and it came home without any worse for the trip.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-01-2017, 21:36
Buy a Samsung Active.

scrabbler
10-01-2017, 21:50
Buy a Samsung Active.

Or S5 or S6 or S7 or S8, or wait for the new iPhone sometime soon.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-01-2017, 23:15
Or S5 or S6 or S7 or S8, or wait for the new iPhone sometime soon.
The Active has a built-in case.

Feral Bill
10-01-2017, 23:36
And instead carry your watch, your journal, your pen, your flashlight, your camera, your calendar, your trip notes, your maps, and your GPS, etc. Makes a lot more sense. Thanks. I mostly hike where there is no cell service whatever. I use a proper camera, headlamp and paper maps. Yet I survive.

Deacon
10-02-2017, 05:54
Do you use a phone case for every day use? IMO there’s no need to ruggedize the phone o the trail any more than for everyday use. I kept mine in a shoulder pouch. Didn’t even bother waterproofing it and it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uncle Joe
10-02-2017, 08:41
I use an Otterbox on the phone itself and carry in in a flap-over type leather case. Often it's either clipped to my chest strap or in a hip-belt pocket.

DownEaster
10-02-2017, 11:17
Do you use a phone case for every day use?
No, I don't. The most protection it gets is in a pocket in sweatpants. Hence the desire to step up my game for the AT.

Starchild
10-02-2017, 12:20
I thru hiked with a naked iPhone 4. During rain I would either put it in my pocket under my rain kilt or in the document dry bag, depending on duration and intensity of the rain. It was one of the few pieces of gear that survived the entire trail and went on for many years, actually I still have it, though I upgraded to a new active phone.

My new phone I would use a glass screen protector and a silicon case, also would carry a document dry bag.

swisscross
10-02-2017, 12:21
Bought a lifeproof case for my new phone (drowned the last one fording).
Put the case on and removed it less than a week later.
Screen sensitivity was compromised, sounds were muffled, the case itself vibrated and pictures were not a crisp.

Threw the thing in the junk drawer.

Last trip I put the phone in a wool glove liner in my front pocket...worked well enough. I want to find a dedicated soft pouch.
I do use a slim protective back case. Zip lock if raining although my phone is considered very water resistant.

Another Kevin
10-04-2017, 13:40
My currrent phone is a Samsung Active. Since it's got a gorilla-glass screen and is IP68 tested, I just put a silicone case around it to give it a little more shock protection than is built in. That way I don't lose screen sensitivity, camera clarity or sound fidelity.

My previous phone was an S4, and I had a mil-spec case for it from a supplier that seems no longer to be around. Using a sealed case was a second-best solution for all the above reasons, but at least the phone survived a couple of bad falls and one dunking in a river.

rocketsocks
10-04-2017, 17:52
Otterbox...

JoeVogel
11-07-2017, 13:15
If you are looing for somthing with a slimmer profile this one looks pretty promising. While it doesn't look 100% waterproof it does look like it would hold up pretty well in a downpour.

http://amzn.to/2zDxbn8

DownEaster
11-07-2017, 14:40
If you are looing for somthing with a slimmer profile this one looks pretty promising. While it doesn't look 100% waterproof it does look like it would hold up pretty well in a downpour.

http://amzn.to/2zDxbn8
Thanks for trying, but this case is for the Moto G4 Plus instead of the Moto G4. Somewhat different phone with different case requirements (the G4 Plus has a fingerprint reader which the regular G4 lacks).

Venchka
11-07-2017, 21:00
I mostly hike where there is no cell service whatever. I use a proper camera, headlamp and paper maps. Yet I survive.

My role model! I want to be you when I grow up!
You forgot “cook with a SVEA 123 stove”. I have one too.
Wayne

camper10469
11-08-2017, 16:11
I mostly hike where there is no cell service whatever. I use a proper camera, headlamp and paper maps. Yet I survive.

2+

i go backpacking to get away from all that nonsense.

AllDownhillFromHere
11-08-2017, 18:04
2+
i go backpacking to get away from all that nonsense.
Good thing you guys chimed in on a thread about ruggedizing a phone then.

Venchka
11-08-2017, 20:21
The real world where most of use our phones 95%-99% of the time are far more hazardous to our phones than most anywhere that we backpack.
I’ve dropped my phone 8 or 11 times on cement or tile floors. I managed to fall in a lake with my phone on my jeans pocket. Those are the biggies that pop into my brain. The phone is unblemished and functional.
By comparison, I have done nothing to harm my phone while backpacking.
Fear of nothing and fear of things that won’t happen strikes the Internet.
Chill y’all.
Wayne

poolskaterx
11-08-2017, 20:59
I have a decent rubber case that surrounds the back and sides of my phone with a little lip that helps if dropped directly onto the screen. I have a waterproof plastic pouch I "can" put it in if weather gets that wet but generally my id,cc and money sit in the bag in my pocket. Biggest issue I have is keeping it insulated as the cold kills battery. Last trip on full charge my phone would shut off showing "no charge" in less than two minutes when taking photos. Had to get creative to warm it up... brrrrr it was cold, lol!

Elaikases
11-08-2017, 21:40
I have my mophie on my phone, and when hiking toss on a zip lock bag. Has worked great for the last four section hikes and some other events.

QiWiz
11-09-2017, 14:26
I use a LifeProof case - has worked great for me on multiple trips. I'm on my second one as I got a larger phone a couple years ago.

Another Kevin
11-09-2017, 16:57
I bring my phone on the trail to serve as a backup camera, a GPS, a notebook, the novel I'm reading, and so on. It's always in airplane mode while I'm Out There, because having marginal or no service drains the battery - so I carry it to be everything BUT a phone!

I now have a ruggedized phone that is just in a silicone sleeve. Before that I used one or another sort of IP68 case - Lifeproof, Otter Box, or Seidio.

Immersion-test the case before you use it.

KDogg
11-09-2017, 17:07
For my thru hike I started with an android phone in a ziplock. Phone failed/got wet when I got to the Smokies. Bought a new phone, a lifeproof case, and never had another problem. Guess it depends on where and when you are hiking but I knew and heard of several phones failing using a ziplock as a waterproof case.

saltysack
11-09-2017, 18:04
I use a LifeProof case - has worked great for me on multiple trips. I'm on my second one as I got a larger phone a couple years ago.

Great warranty also....get a new replacement only $5...

camper10469
11-09-2017, 18:51
i can understand using the camera feature. leave it in airplane mode.

+1 there.

tflaris
11-09-2017, 19:57
Otter box Defender

TX Aggie
11-11-2017, 12:59
Otter box Defender

Agree, Otterbox is my go to.

cmoulder
11-11-2017, 14:42
Whatever you use, don't put it in your back pocket while trail running. :rolleyes:

Recently crunched my LG V20 doing just that... duh... slipped on some acorns or sticks covered by fall leaves. Damn glad I had the insurance, but even then it was a $149 (deductible) lesson — coulda been a lot more!

Leo L.
11-12-2017, 08:29
Excellent opportunity to put in a new battery!

When outdoors, I usually put my phone in the thigh pocket.
When I went rock climbing with my old friend again after many years, I did the same.
During climbing, I'm so much in an Adrenaline rush, I don't notice tearing a trousers, minor injury and such - all attention is 150% on the climbing itself.
Only at the end of the climbing session when I wanted to call my wife to get the Pizza ready I realized that the phone was cracked - not too far off from your sample.

squeezebox
11-12-2017, 10:00
So how much does the otterbox weigh by itself?

Game Warden
11-17-2017, 01:17
I leave it home.

tflaris
11-17-2017, 09:06

Unsure. It’s worth it’s weight in gold to me. The first time you drop your phone and it bounces on 6 rocks without any damage.

Weightless.....

DownEaster
11-17-2017, 09:44
In my case, nothing at all.

The answer depends on the particular model. Unfortunately, Otterbox hasn't kept up with a lot of the newer phones and they don't make one to fit the Moto G4.

cmoulder
11-17-2017, 11:50
I leave it home.

That's nice, but that wasn't the question. ;)

As mentioned by others, some of us use the other features and bring them on the trail with us — horrors!

Back in the day I used to carry a 35mm SLR and a tripod.... that thing weighed one helluva lot more than my 7.37 oz phone.