PDA

View Full Version : February Northbounders vs. Old Man Winter

ed bell
02-05-2006, 15:37
Looks like winter is showing up after all. Mt. LeConte reported a low of 6 deg F, Mt. Mitchell a low of 8 deg F for the 24 hours ending at 7:30 AM Feb. 5th. LeConte, less than 10 miles from Newfound Gap, was reporting 5 inches of snow with several chances for more snow this week. Couple that with another blast of cold air for the weekend of Feb. 11th and winter seems to be finally settling in down here in the Southern Appalachians.:sun:clap:cool:

TwoForty
02-05-2006, 15:45
It's about time. My water bottle didn't even freeze in late December!

Roland
02-05-2006, 15:54
I'm happy to hear that cold air is moving my way. January was unusually mild, even in the Whites. I think there was more snow when Squeaky came through in late October, than there is now.

It rained in Gorham the last two days. Yesterday, temps rose into the 50s. As I write this, it is still 45F. It would be nice to get a few months of winter, before mud-season begins.

Big Dawg
02-05-2006, 15:58
Great news for my upcoming hike on 2/10,,, man I was so afraid it was gonna be warm. :rolleyes:

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 16:53
im leaving for springer this friday .will see you all up the trail. best wishes ,matthewski checking way out .

ed bell
02-11-2006, 18:12
Great news for my upcoming hike on 2/10,,, man I was so afraid it was gonna be warm. :rolleyes:

Let us know how it went. Must have been an exciting time considering the weather changes.:cool:

mweinstone
02-11-2006, 18:43
now its tuesday possibly. im negotiating with online rideshare folk .the weather on wed will be clear and 40 . theirs this famous omish breakfast place in the reading terminal market here in philadelphia where i go. as this is my last saturday here,i pigged way way way out. then went to bassets turkey and ate a side of stuffing with gravy. now its chips and hagendaz. well its all about the weather now. i can leave with the first ride if weather permits. im only concerned if its deep snow. cold, i laugh at. but snow too deep makes a AT hiker into a sweating ,postholeing,un ventable,condensating mess.come on global warming,do your thing for me!matthewski toys with the devil.

Krewzer
02-12-2006, 17:57
Beware the Smoky Mountains in February and March. These are peak months for snow up there. I've seen the snow drifts waist deep on the AT between Rocky Top and Thunderhead in February. Pack your warm stuff and enjoy.

awol
02-12-2006, 18:05
4 inches o Springer FRI. Another Inch or so SAT night. Where were the Thrus? I postholed 15 miles and only met mikey from Duluth