PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap ...

PcolaDawg
10-03-2017, 09:12
Going to take three days this weekend and hike the first half of the A.T. through the Smokys. The first night will be at Russell Field Shelter and the second night at Silers Bald Shelter. There is a bear warning out for Russell Field, but the shelter is still open.

Any info on the condition of the trail and shelters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ashepabst
10-03-2017, 09:34
the observation tower at Clingmans is closed, so that'll kinda be a bummer.

jundar
10-03-2017, 10:21
I just finished with that section last night. Stayed at Russel Field and Double Springs 1.7 miles past Silers Bald. I didn't see any bears out, nor did anyone else I met. Trail is pretty tough...lots of ups and downs. Water is spotty but both shelters you are staying at have good water supplies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

TNhiker
10-03-2017, 10:26
Don't leave your bag (even without food in it) unattended at Russell...

bears have be known to grab them and run off with them...

PcolaDawg
10-03-2017, 10:41
I just finished with that section last night. Stayed at Russel Field and Double Springs 1.7 miles past Silers Bald. I didn't see any bears out, nor did anyone else I met. Trail is pretty tough...lots of ups and downs. Water is spotty but both shelters you are staying at have good water supplies.

Nice to know about the water. Thanks. How were the temperatures at night? I try to get a feel for the weather by checking the weather in Knoxville, but I know up in the mountains it can be very different.

Thanks again.

PcolaDawg
10-03-2017, 10:42
Don't leave your bag (even without food in it) unattended at Russell...

bears have be known to grab them and run off with them...
Good to know. Wouldn't want Yogi running off with my shuttle money.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2017, 11:13
I assume you have already gotten your permits for those shelters. This is a holiday weekend of sorts, so if you haven't already gotten your permits, all the spots might be gone.

As for weather, the AT weather app is showing lows in the 50's for Silers Bald shelter and a 30-40% chance of showers all weekend.

PcolaDawg
10-03-2017, 13:24
I assume you have already gotten your permits for those shelters. This is a holiday weekend of sorts, so if you haven't already gotten your permits, all the spots might be gone.

As for weather, the AT weather app is showing lows in the 50's for Silers Bald shelter and a 30-40% chance of showers all weekend.
I got my permits a few weeks ago. Amazingly, though, Russell Field and Silars Bald shelters still have plenty of room as of this morning (there are 3 in my party, and we've got Silars Bald all to ourselves - as of now).

HooKooDooKu
10-03-2017, 13:46
Mountain-Forecast for Silers Bald (https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Silers-Bald/forecasts/1709) shows low's in the mid 50's with lots of rain come Sunday.

jundar
10-04-2017, 21:50
Temps were in the low 40s to upper 30s I'm guessing, but it's hard to tell for sure. One guy who was up earlier than I was the last morning said there was frost. I was not the least bit chilly using a 40deg down bag and liner--but I do sleep warm. You'll definitely want a light to mid base layer for mornings and evenings at the shelters.

PcolaDawg
10-10-2017, 12:28
Alright - made it back from an eventful 40 mile hike from Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap this weekend.

Friday was gorgeous. The weather couldn't have been better. The view from the Shuckstack fire observation tower may have been the best view I have ever had of the Southern Appalachian range.

Spent the night at Russell Field Shelter where there was just the three of us. Me, my son, and a third individual hiking South bound. That night, almost as soon as the sun went down, the wind came in - roaring. So loud it became hard to sleep at times. Unbeknownst to me, the GSMNP sent me an email that night (at 6:51 pm) warning of approaching T.S. Nate and strongly suggesting I alter my hiking plans.

Saturday was extremely windy - especially on the balds approaching Thunderhead Mountain. Strongest sustained winds I've ever hiked in.

Spent Saturday night at Silers Bald Shelter with 7 others. That night the rain joined in with the wind.

Sunday was extremely windy with a steady rain the entire day. The A.T. was pretty much a creek. Made it to Newfound Gap at 2:15 pm, about 45 minutes before our shuttle back to Fontana Dam was to arrive. Sat and waited in the rain. Our shuttle arrived on time at 3:00 pm and our hike ended successfully.

Thanks for those above that helped with the info. We did have good water sources at Russell Field and Silers Bald. Mollies Ridge Shelter's water source was just a mud puddle (which is probably improved now due to the rain from Nate).