PDA

View Full Version : specific boot specs and critique

rohri
02-05-2006, 16:16
So I'm looking to buy boots and I find myself to be a "spec junkie" and can't make up my mind. I was first thinking about all-leather boots and after reading and reading and trying some on, I've decided against that. I don't have confidence in my ankles so I can't do the trail-running thing either. So what I'm looking for is the in-between, light-weight, less stiff boots. I have four requirements and am very willing to listen to arguments convincing me to change one of my requirements.

Preferably under 3 lbs/pair
Goretex waterproof lining
Vibram Soles
Wide Width or good for high volume (fat) feet

I have found many boots that fulfill 3 of 4 and a few that fit all 4 requirements but also haven't felt one that doesn't feel a bit to narrow. I am just curious to see if anyone has a suggestion for a boot they might know off hand. Every bit helps. In the meantime I am just gonna have to keep trying on everything I can find.

sliderule
02-05-2006, 16:39
I tired a number of boot types. LL Bean Cresta Hikers finished first in my survey. Although the probably don't meet your weight criteria, unless you have small feet.

Peaks
02-05-2006, 17:39
OK, the most important thing in selecting boots is fit. The next most important thing is fit. The thrid most important thing is fit. Go with what ever boot fit your feet the best.

Since the heavy all leather boot is out and you don't want trail runners, I would suggest looking for a mid-ankle height boot with fabric and leather uppers.

Zzzzdyd
02-05-2006, 18:05
"Goretex waterproof lining"

If your doing a NOBO thru-hike of the AT ? I would suggest you forget this
requirement. Your feet are going to get WET !! Been there done that !!
Nothing worse than slogging along in wet Gore tex boots. Believe me !!

A fast drying upper with a good foot-bed is a much better choice IMHO.

Montrail TRS Comps and NB 903's work real well for me,
but I do not have wide feet,
but I am sure they come in wide feet sizes.

AS Peaks said: Fit.. Fit.. FIT !!

Wide feet do not mean you have high volume feet either. As I
understand it, volume comes from your arch mostly ?

Go see a pro and tell them what you want to do and how much your
packs weighs. Take your loaded pack with you if at all possible.

good luck :sun

Skidsteer
02-05-2006, 18:08
So I'm looking to buy boots and I find myself to be a "spec junkie" and can't make up my mind. I was first thinking about all-leather boots and after reading and reading and trying some on, I've decided against that. I don't have confidence in my ankles so I can't do the trail-running thing either. So what I'm looking for is the in-between, light-weight, less stiff boots. I have four requirements and am very willing to listen to arguments convincing me to change one of my requirements.

Preferably under 3 lbs/pair
Goretex waterproof lining
Vibram Soles
Wide Width or good for high volume (fat) feet

I have found many boots that fulfill 3 of 4 and a few that fit all 4 requirements but also haven't felt one that doesn't feel a bit to narrow. I am just curious to see if anyone has a suggestion for a boot they might know off hand. Every bit helps. In the meantime I am just gonna have to keep trying on everything I can find.

I have fat feet( I prefer the term wide )and I wear Hi-Tec V-lites. No Vibram soles, but they meet your other criteria if you stipulate that Sympa-Tex is as good as Gore-Tex( I do ). I am seriously considering boots without a waterproof-breathable liner for my next pair as the drying time should be reduced.

Edit. I forgot to mention that they're around 80.00 a pair. I have, at a rough guess, about 500 miles on mine and they are holding up fine.

clayrfarris
02-05-2006, 22:57
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?AFC-google&productId=39173193&memberId=12500226

My requirements appear to be near the same as your. I am leaning toward these Merrills. I don't think they have make a wide for this boot. May be worth invesstigating. Good Luck

greentick
02-06-2006, 00:43
I had a similar requirement set, minus the vibram sole. I have wide feet with high arches. I use la sportiva venture mids xcr. I have only used them in cold weather but they work great. Feet stayed super dry (I wear smartwool sock too). Initially they were a little tight but broke in completely after about 10 miles. I would check out zappos.com if you have weird foot sizes as they have good selection and you can print out free return shipping labels if they don't fit.

timhines
02-06-2006, 10:17
what about Gore Tex boots with gaiters? Or is that pointless too?

restless
02-06-2006, 10:29
A very nice pair of boots that seem to have held up rather well for a lot of long distance hikers is the Montrail Torre GTX wide. Weightwise, they might be a little heavier than what you called for but for comfort and durability they cant be beat. If you are planning for a thru hike, you may want to consider using boots during the colder parts-say until Hot Springs or so-and then switch to a lightweight shoe-along the lines of New Balance, Keen, and so on. You're feet will be much happier with less weight on them. Also, keep in mind that on average, a foot will expand anywhere from 1/2 size to 1 1/2 sizes during your hike. So buy your initial shoes a little large. You should be able to get about two fingers behind your heel and the inside back of the boot or shoe. When they start feeling tight, replace them, It seems that most hikers have to replace shoes by the time they get to Damascus so keep that in mind. Shoes, however, are an item that you must find what works best for you.

LIhikers
02-06-2006, 11:27
My last couple of pair of hiking boots have been Vasque Clarion because they fit my feet so well and are very comfortable. I wish they didn't have the gortex but I put up with it because the boot fits me so well. Also, not a vibram sole but a good alternative for sure.

clayrfarris
02-06-2006, 15:33
I wish they didn't have the gortex but I put up with it because the boot fits me so well.

What is the problem with having Gortex?:confused:

Klezmorim
02-06-2006, 17:16
What Peaks said! Be sure to find someone who's been trained in Phil Oren's Foot System. (http://fitsystembyphiloren.com/index2.html)

I replaced my delapidated Hi-Tec PCTs after 20 years of use. I *wanted* to go lightweight or medium-weight, but the only thing that would fit my EEE-wide, clubby foot was a pair of all-leather Scarpas. They're heavy (almost 4 lbs!) and expensive, but they were the only thing that fit - and even at that the boot expert at Diamond Brand Outddor had to pound on 'em for an hour to get the fit right. The leather is silicon-treated and sheds water like a dream. These are boots!

See:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39179436

Lump76
02-06-2006, 19:18
A very nice pair of boots that seem to have held up rather well for a lot of long distance hikers is the Montrail Torre GTX wide. Weightwise, they might be a little heavier than what you called for but for comfort and durability they cant be beat. If you are planning for a thru hike, you may want to consider using boots during the colder parts-say until Hot Springs or so-and then switch to a lightweight shoe-along the lines of New Balance, Keen, and so on. You're feet will be much happier with less weight on them. Also, keep in mind that on average, a foot will expand anywhere from 1/2 size to 1 1/2 sizes during your hike. So buy your initial shoes a little large. You should be able to get about two fingers behind your heel and the inside back of the boot or shoe. When they start feeling tight, replace them, It seems that most hikers have to replace shoes by the time they get to Damascus so keep that in mind. Shoes, however, are an item that you must find what works best for you.

I also love my Montrail Torre GTX boots. I've only section hiked in them... but they held up great and were really comfortable right out of the box. I tried on similar (and more expensive) boots by Vasque, and vasquely (oops... vastly) preferred the Montrails. The ankle support is quite good but not as stiff and uncomfortable as the competitors' boots. And the gore-tex kept me dry and comfy even after slogging through a few wet and muddy sections.

Kerosene
02-06-2006, 22:12
Gore-Tex will certainly keep your boots drier for quite awhile, but eventually, given enough rain, damp, sweat, mud, creeks, dew, etc., the insides will get soaked. It takes forever to get the interior dry again. I have a nice pair of Garmont Eclipse GTX low-tops that got wet from dew (I didn't stop to put on gaitors and rain pants before walking through a wet meadow with long grass). It took several days, indoors in a warm, dry room, before they were dry again.

Skidsteer
02-06-2006, 22:29
Gore-Tex will certainly keep your boots drier for quite awhile, but eventually, given enough rain, damp, sweat, mud, creeks, dew, etc., the insides will get soaked. It takes forever to get the interior dry again. I have a nice pair of Garmont Eclipse GTX low-tops that got wet from dew (I didn't stop to put on gaitors and rain pants before walking through a wet meadow with long grass). It took several days, indoors in a warm, dry room, before they were dry again.

Allow me to add an example: I was hiking the Coosa in N. GA on a weekend that the weatherman proclaimed would be beautiful, no chance of rain. He lied, as usual, and I got caught in a sure-nuff all-day, frog drownin' down-pour with no raingear except my poncho. No problem; I stayed plenty warm and dry enough except that my boots filled up with water in about 30 seconds and didn't dry out for about 30 days. OK, OK, maybe not 30 days but it was a long time, at any rate. My hypothesis is that the same boots( sans gore-tex, sympatex, etc. ) would have dried much more quickly. I intend to test this theory if I ever wear these boots out!