PDA

View Full Version : Resupply @ Fontana Dam

4shot
10-03-2017, 10:39
I am leading a small group of HS students on a 3 day loop out of Fontana Dam. On our return we will stay a night at the Fontana Hilton before heading home the next day. Would like to pick up burgers,buns, chips, etc. for a cookout that night. Quickest place nearby to do so? Also, are there grills available at the picnic area at the visitor's center? Thanks in advance

MuddyWaters
10-03-2017, 10:58
I am leading a small group of HS students on a 3 day loop out of Fontana Dam. On our return we will stay a night at the Fontana Hilton before heading home the next day. Would like to pick up burgers,buns, chips, etc. for a cookout that night. Quickest place nearby to do so? Also, are there grills available at the picnic area at the visitor's center? Thanks in advance

Well, theres a store in the village.
Why not leave food in car for when you get back?
Leave meat frozen, in decent icechest, with dry ice and it will be frozen 3 days later. Or even regular ice if enough.

Ashepabst
10-03-2017, 12:42
there's a whole lot of nothing nearby, except Fontana Village

capehiker
10-03-2017, 13:02
From the Hilton, you'll need to call the village shuttle (there's a fee) and they can take you to the general store at Fontana Village. From what I remember this past spring, there aren't any fixings for a cookout. The Village is designed to have you eat at their own eateries. There is a basic hiker resupply and that's about it.

TNhiker
10-03-2017, 14:52
there is a grocery store in robbinsville..............20-25 minutes away...

i cant recall any grills in the area of the dam-----but then again, i really dont look for them.....

my guess---and strictly a guess-----is that there are grills in some of the pull offs with picnic tables...

also-----i think cable cove has grills in their site......

Tennessee Viking
10-03-2017, 15:27
Hit up Fontana Village will need to hitch/shuttle from the dam or the NC28 crossing.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2017, 15:33
There does not seem to be any picnic areas in the Fontana village area. You'd have to drive into the park to find one, and it would be a fairly long drive to the nearest one. In that case, you might as well spend the night at a park campground instead of the hotel.

MuddyWaters
10-03-2017, 15:34
If they start and end at fontana dam for a loop, im betting they have vehicles there.....great for stashing ....grills...food...chairs

Me....id head for pizza

TNhiker
10-03-2017, 16:34
There does not seem to be any picnic areas in the Fontana village area. You'd have to drive into the park to find one, and it would be a fairly long drive to the nearest one. In that case, you might as well spend the night at a park campground instead of the hotel.

what about around the dam---the visitors center---or the road that goes into the visitors center/AT trailhead?

MuddyWaters
10-03-2017, 17:00
what about around the dam---the visitors center---or the road that goes into the visitors center/AT trailhead?
Theres a pay campground below the dam

Analog_Kidd
10-03-2017, 19:53
https://www.tva.com/Energy/Our-Power-System/Hydroelectric/Fontana-Reservoir

Halfway down that page is a link to a odd named recreational facilities. It says there are picnic tables available, which implies maybe grills. There is also a phone number for the visitor center, they can give you all the answers.

Further on up the road a few miles at the TN/NC border is a motorcycle store / restaurant that sells burgers and fries, if you are interested in NOT cooking. I'd call and get their hours first, tho.

TNhiker
10-03-2017, 20:10
Further on up the road a few miles at the TN/NC border is a motorcycle store / restaurant that sells burgers and fries, if you are interested in NOT cooking. I'd call and get their hours first, tho.

yeah..........forgot about that place..........if its the one im thinking of----right near one of the roads to the villiage...

and it, meh, ok food...........nothing special..............but coming from hiking, it might be good....

and yeah----not sure if they close for the season or what...

George
10-03-2017, 22:27
walmart sells yeti cooler knock offs for about 1/3

your stuff should stay cold for the duration, also a cheap grill or 2 to be safe

cliffordbarnabus
10-03-2017, 23:59
the entire area surrounding the fontana hilton is the picnic area. tons of picnic tables. i cycle up there at least once a week. however, i'm a vegetarian, so i don't have a "grill eye", but i do believe there are grills.

4shot
10-04-2017, 06:24
I appreciate all the replies. I am going to take food and a grill (to be safe) so we do not need to drive after returning to the shelter.