PDA

View Full Version : advice

Darrien
10-03-2017, 11:06
I am wanting to do a section of the AT during my spring break 2018. I am wanting to start at Springer Mt. and go for a week. Where do you think I will end up in a weeks time? I am 56 years old male and have put in 20 mile days on the Foothills trail in South Carolina. I completed the foothills trail in 2015 (77 miles) in just 3.5 days. What are my chances on the AT?

FlyPaper
10-03-2017, 11:19
Based on this information, I'd suggest you target Deep Gap, NC, which is about 7 trail miles north of the NC/GA border. This puts you a little over 80 miles I think.

Far enough to be a challenge, but short enough that you can enjoy.

Disclaimer... Based on analysis of thru-hiker behavior, most thru-hikers take about 9 days to get this far. Sounds like you'll be a little better prepared than most of them.
But be prepared for a harder hike than the foothills trail.

I am wanting to do a section of the AT during my spring break 2018. I am wanting to start at Springer Mt. and go for a week. Where do you think I will end up in a weeks time? I am 56 years old male and have put in 20 mile days on the Foothills trail in South Carolina. I completed the foothills trail in 2015 (77 miles) in just 3.5 days. What are my chances on the AT?

skater
10-03-2017, 12:06
Yeah, Deep Gap sounds about right, but leaves you with a bailout point at Dick's Creek Gap if needed. Water sources should be good that time of year (we hope), temps are good for cranking out miles, and the blowdowns should be cleared by then. The reroute around Justus Mountain is open now, so you should be able to blow right through there. I'd plan a resupply at Mountain Crossing, to keep you food weight down without leaving the trail. Climb the steepest hills you've got handy while wearing a full load for practice, and you should be good to go.

blw2
10-03-2017, 21:31
Hey, I'm thinking of joining you, so to speak. I've also toyed with a spring break start at Springer...although I might get delayed to June-ish. I'm 50 but not trail tested like you, not having done anything more than short day hikes since backpacking just a bit many years ago. I'm in decent enough shape, but I figure I won't get nearly as far as you..... and with travel time I'll only have 5 days or so on trail....
anyway, wish you the best with your treck....

Turtle-2013
10-04-2017, 08:03
I'm about your age ...did that section as part of my total section hike of the AT in April 2015. Because of the costs related to shuttling I started at Amicolola and ended at Dicks Creek Gap Five days later ... one 21.2 mile day. It is more expensive to be shuttled to the top of Springer, and Dick's Creek is easier to get to than Deep Gap. However, if shuttling hadn't been an issue ... I could have made it to Deep Gap ... since I arrived Dick's Creek at about 10am on my last day.

MuddyWaters
10-04-2017, 09:00
If your pack be under 30 lbs, you should have no prob doing 15 mpd. Plan a resupply/zero somewhere

Darrien
10-04-2017, 10:29
My pack will weigh in the 30'ish range. Thanks for the info everyone, and other suggestions will be appreciated.

gpburdelljr
10-04-2017, 11:19
Here is a mileage chart of the AT, by state.

http://www.summitpost.org/appalachian-trail-mileage-chart/593282

Darrien
10-04-2017, 11:29
Thanks, I have that chart already.

saltysack
10-04-2017, 11:38
Could leave your car at Standing indian campground or kiosk so you could stop at deep gap, glassmine or rock gap as all are close via short blue blazed trails..this gives lil more mileage if feel up to it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrien
10-04-2017, 12:42
I am going to get dropped off and hopefully picked-up by my wife. That is great information, thanks.

moldy
10-06-2017, 19:13
You will hike on average 15 miles per day for 7 days and end up at US-64 Winding Stair Gap. So it is written so is it done