PDA

View Full Version : Tent Suggestions?

Hiker4Jesus
10-04-2017, 08:34
Has anyone had any experience with either of these tents on a thru hike? I'm looking at the SMD Lunar Solo LE, it weighs about 1 lbs 8 oz for $180 w/out seamseal (would seal it myself). I also really like the Big Agnus Fly Creek HV UL2. It weighs about 1 lbs 15 oz and costs $389; waiting for BA to be on sale at EMS.

Hosh
10-04-2017, 09:33
Steepandcheap.com rules, EMS drools

Here ya go https://www.steepandcheap.com/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-tent-2-person-3-season?skid=BAG009M-ASH-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDozLVNlYXNvbiBCYWNrcGFja2luZyBUZW50czo xOjI2OnNhY0NhdDEwMDIwMDUwOA==

Bought my daughter one, not freestanding, but what is, nice straight walls, when staked out properly, mesh at end close to ground, so if desert camping possibility for sand to enter. Easier exit/entry if you're limber

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2017, 10:05
I've borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 before and didn't like it. The tent is a bit smaller (in floor space and volume) than comparable tents (such as the Copper Spur). Getting into the tent felt about like getting into a sleeping bag. I much prefer the side entry.

However, the single head entry and smaller size means it's a lighter tent than comparable tents.

But at the Steep and Cheap price point, I would definitely consider this tent if you up-side it (meaning utilize a Fly Creek UL2 as a 1-person tent, or the UL3 as a 2-person tent).

Hosh
10-04-2017, 10:16
I've borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 before and didn't like it. The tent is a bit smaller (in floor space and volume) than comparable tents (such as the Copper Spur). Getting into the tent felt about like getting into a sleeping bag. I much prefer the side entry.

However, the single head entry and smaller size means it's a lighter tent than comparable tents.

But at the Steep and Cheap price point, I would definitely consider this tent if you up-side it (meaning utilize a Fly Creek UL2 as a 1-person tent, or the UL3 as a 2-person tent).

I agree on the front entry, young and limber, versus old and treacherous. BA did increase entry height with the HV, high volume, changes, but it's still pretty low. They also put a larger eyebrow above the entry to lessen impact of rain inside. The UL2 version is only 5 ounces or so heavier than the UL1, so it's a no brainer to go for the extra space.

I haven't seen any CS's on SNC for awhile. Maybe later this winter they'll get some for sale.

Venchka
10-04-2017, 11:00
SMD Lunar Solo LE. Definitely! I recently spent a week in Wyoming with a friend who had the Lunar Solo LE. It worked perfectly. I was using my new, HUGE StratoSpire 1. I was envious of the lack of weight and packed size of the Lunar Solo. The price can't be beat. Set up is a breeze. In good weather, we both used our tents as ground cloths for cowboy camping. PERFECT!
Definitely. Lunar Solo LE.
Wayne

DuneElliot
10-04-2017, 18:43
Honestly, I hated my Lunar Solo and couldn't wait to pass it on after 1 night. I didn't like the head room, or the steep walls and floor space. I also have two dogs if that makes a difference...and it was a very tight fit, and they couldn't stand up or get in easily.

However, a lot of people like them and the friend Venchka mentioned loved hers...I was with them also briefly. They are really solid in wind and made well.

For the price and quality, the Lunar Solo can't be beat, but I ended up with the ZPacks Duplex and wish I'd gone that route to start with.

Instead of the FC UL2 you might want to look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL too...so much better with the side entry vs the head entry of the Fly Creek.

DuneElliot
10-04-2017, 18:44
Shallow walls, not steep walls

cmoulder
10-04-2017, 19:00
I have a hiking buddy who uses the Lunar Solo and really likes it. It is indeed a quick pitching shelter. I've inspected it up close and think I could get used to it, but I am pretty sure it would not work for me and my 65 lb pooch.

However, I have a Duplex which has been my primary shelter when the pooch is with me. Other times I use a tarp+bivy and, in the winter, a silnylon Duomid.

Lunar Solo

Hiker4Jesus
10-04-2017, 19:44
i'm 5'2" so space is not a problem.

Venchka
10-04-2017, 21:50
i'm 5'2" so space is not a problem.

My friend’s tent selection criteria: Under 2 pounds. Under $200.
@ 5’-2” the Lunar Solo will be spacious for you.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwathHiker
10-04-2017, 23:03
Check steep and cheap right now and also REI garage and regular REI [I]both[I]for the Big Agnes because they are on sale.

T.S.Kobzol
10-05-2017, 04:21
Seam sealing tents belong to yesterday. I still have a few, I like them but I would not choose one if I were to buy today.

Venchka
10-05-2017, 04:42
Seam sealing tents belong to yesterday. I still have a few, I like them but I would not choose one if I were to buy today.
Taped seams don't stay taped forever. Seam sealing may be needed when you least expect it.
Seam sealing can be reapplied if needed.
Do it yourself. An enjoyable morning's project. You will know if your seams are sewn properly. You will know that your tent is sealed.
I've sealed 3 tents myself. No leaks since forever. The most recent tent that I sealed passed a 6 hour rain test in Colorado.
Wayne

T.S.Kobzol
10-05-2017, 04:45
Yes yes. Have always seam sealed DIY and no, not enjoyed it. [emoji3]

Venchka
10-05-2017, 04:49
Yes yes. Have always seam sealed DIY and no, not enjoyed it. [emoji3]

LOL!
"I love the smell of GE silicone in the morning."
Grinning!
Wayne

MuddyWaters
10-05-2017, 05:07
Shallow walls, not steep walls
Why it provides good coverage and sheds wind so well.
Headroom is tradeoff as you say

With rear into wind, it can take pretty big gusts,

DuneElliot
10-05-2017, 20:00
Why it provides good coverage and sheds wind so well.
Headroom is tradeoff as you say

With rear into wind, it can take pretty big gusts,
That's why I initially bought it in the first place but the headroom, despite being short, was just a non-starter for me

SwathHiker
10-07-2017, 21:48
Okay so I posted one of my NEW REI Dash 2 UL 2-person tents up on Gear Trade for $200 if anyone is interested. I have another one. It's a good way to get basically the benefits of a Big Agnes Copper Spur (2 doors and vestibules) without the price tag. I wouldn't want to sleep 2 people in it, and it is very drafty. You also have to pitch the fly taught or you'll get wet. I can't list it on here because I haven't posted on here enough times.

Please don't report me, I'm not trying to make money, that thing will sell like hotcakes no matter whether you want it or not. It's 2.5 pounds. Probably a couple more ounces than that because I seam-sealed the heck out of it. But generally 2.5, and has free upgrades I made like Ti stakes and a new REI footprint plus free tyvek for groundcloth and Kelty Triptease guylines. Never used.

SwathHiker
10-07-2017, 21:50
AH Big Agnes website, and Zpacks website say no seam sealing necessary. I will stick with those in the future. What a hassle. And adds weight. Big Agnes says if the tape doesn't do the job send the tent back. I will!

SwathHiker
10-07-2017, 21:56
Oh, I guess I have enough posts now to sell things on here. Anyway, I had told someone somewhere in this thread about that Dash 2 and now it is for sale on Gear Trade. I'm not going to bother listing it also on White Blaze. I have a new Titan tea kettle up and a few other extremely coveted thru-hiker items like a few new eVent ultrasil stuffsacks also listed.

RamboJuice
10-28-2017, 11:49
I personally would stay away from anything Big Agnes. I hiked on the PCT this last season with my wife. We started off with a UL3 copper spur, that we bought through backcountry BTW. The test completely fell apart, bug netting failed, both zippers failed, which was common for all BA tents. Then getting BA to warranty anything during a through hike was an absolute nightmare. If you are going to get one, to yourself a favor, just pay the extra and get it through REI, because when it fails you just take it back to REI, Backcountry has great prices but they only warranty anything they sell for 30 days, so you will have to deal with BA. This is what they expect you to do to warranty on a thru-hike. 1. they will not accept pictures! 2. they want to to pay for what ever part upfront and pay shipping of the old part back to them. 3. Then they will look at the old part you sent them to see if it is warranty, and they will charge you accordingly. I warrrantied alot of stuff last year on my hike, EVERBODY else just sent me another one. I ended up with a Tarptent Saddle2 and it is awesome light weight easy to use and durable, you can really tell the difference in at tent made my someone who cares and one made in a sweatshop in Vietnam, the stitching materials and the finish are just in different leagues.

Crossup
10-28-2017, 23:10
Time for some popcorn;)

AllDownhillFromHere
10-29-2017, 00:31
A lot of BA and Nemo tents out there this year. I own a Fly Creek 2, fond of it, most people were. People who had the "Platinum" BA didn't like them - too much mesh, no privacy, no splash/sand protection near the ground level. The 1lb,15oz weight is without stakes, so... plan accordingly. There's a sweet way to pitch just the fly using some string to act as a footprint, google it.

HooKooDooKu
10-29-2017, 01:01
BA Copper Spur was the single most common tent I saw during my JMT thru. The night I was camped near Guitar Lake, something like 10-15% of campers were in Copper Spurs. About the only thing more common was an Osprey back pack.

Ethesis
10-29-2017, 15:40

at the REI garage sale there were three of those.

I ended up in checkout behind a tiny tiny girl buying one and a larger gentleman who happened to have returned that tent.

It seemed the right choice for both (both the return and the purchase).

Singto
01-18-2018, 06:57
Save yourself the hassle, you've already listed one of the best shelters available. Go with the lightweight, generous space, single hiking pole Lunar Solo.

nate.2346
03-03-2018, 16:51
Tarptent Rainbows are right around your price range. I'm a big fan!

HooKooDooKu
03-04-2018, 22:45
Tarptent Rainbows are right around your price range. I'm a big fan!
Good to hear... I've considered tarptent as a new purchase if and when I take my son on a thru hike of something like the JMT or Wonderland trail. I currently use a "large" 2P tent when we camp in GSMNP, but it's a little on the heavy side for two people, and as he gets larger, I want something with more room.

Ethesis
03-05-2018, 11:31
“Extremely coveted” ??

Hosh
03-05-2018, 11:56
I personally would stay away from anything Big Agnes. I hiked on the PCT this last season with my wife. We started off with a UL3 copper spur, that we bought through backcountry BTW. The test completely fell apart, bug netting failed, both zippers failed, which was common for all BA tents. Then getting BA to warranty anything during a through hike was an absolute nightmare. If you are going to get one, to yourself a favor, just pay the extra and get it through REI, because when it fails you just take it back to REI, Backcountry has great prices but they only warranty anything they sell for 30 days, so you will have to deal with BA. This is what they expect you to do to warranty on a thru-hike. 1. they will not accept pictures! 2. they want to to pay for what ever part upfront and pay shipping of the old part back to them. 3. Then they will look at the old part you sent them to see if it is warranty, and they will charge you accordingly. I warrrantied alot of stuff last year on my hike, EVERBODY else just sent me another one. I ended up with a Tarptent Saddle2 and it is awesome light weight easy to use and durable, you can really tell the difference in at tent made my someone who cares and one made in a sweatshop in Vietnam, the stitching materials and the finish are just in different leagues.

Does Franco have 2 logins?

CalebJ
03-05-2018, 12:31
Does Franco have 2 logins?

I think that's a huge stretch to even hint at.

cmoulder
03-06-2018, 07:51
I think that's a huge stretch to even hint at.

Also reads nothing like Franco, and it isn't his 'style' to bash.

Mighty suspicious of a first-time, one-poster that includes a line like "The test completely fell apart, bug netting failed, both zippers failed, which was common for all BA tents."

Really?? lol I'm personally not a fan of BA products but I've seen plenty of them on the trail and this simply isn't true.

CalebJ
03-06-2018, 10:14
Agreed. I've only had one of their tents (a Seedhouse SL2), but between me and a friend that eventually inherited it, it performed flawlessly for ten years before the seam tape disintegrated.