PDA

View Full Version : Stoves

Hiker4Jesus
10-04-2017, 08:55
I may be borrowing an MSR Pocketrocket, but as an alternative has has anyone had any experience with the BSR 300t stove and did it last a Thru Hike?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5WRJ8A/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507121688&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=brs+3000t+stove&dpPl=1&dpID=41Z8rbzLj6L&ref=plSrch

Starchild
10-04-2017, 09:35
FWIW the week spot with that stove that I have heard is the threads are aluminum and will wear and could strip. But I have not heard that happen, just concern over that.

But for the weight you could carry 2 of them and still be far under the weight of the pocket rocket.

For me I would take that stove and not look back. If it fails I can limp by till I can get another one and there are plenty of people to help that limping back if you are doing a traditional AT NoBo.

Venchka
10-04-2017, 10:51
My personal experience:
A Pocket Rocket 2 for free beats the BSR thingie.
Just a Geezers opinion.
Wayne

HelloNeiman!
10-04-2017, 11:21
I have one, it works fine. It is very flimsy but if you are careful it will last. Also, the fuel efficiency is not very good so expect it to take longer to boil water. This will mean more canisters along the hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
10-04-2017, 11:59
I have one, it works fine. It is very flimsy but if you are careful it will last. Also, the fuel efficiency is not very good so expect it to take longer to boil water. This will mean more canisters along the hike.

These are 2 different things. Efficiency basically is how many boils you can get out of a canister, speed of boil is something different. Case in point the MSR Windboiler (now Reactor) can boil water faster then the Jetboil (IIRC 20 seconds faster per standard amount), but is less efficient, so uses more fuel to achieve that faster boil time.

As for that any canister stove can be made more efficient by not running it flat out max (to a point).

I do find it hard to believe that this stove is both less efficient + has longer boil times, since it is burning a common fuel which has a very consistent burn rate, and would like to see the math and method of which you base you assertion on.

Slo-go'en
10-04-2017, 12:34
Efficiency is a measure of how much heat is lost to the environment. There are a number of factors which will influence this, like ambient temperature, wind, size of the of the pot, what kind of metal the pot is made from, how far it is from the flame.

For a given volume and starting temp of water, it will take a certain amount of heat energy to bring it to a boil. How fast that volume of water can be brought to a boil depends on how fast you can transfer the heat to it. A stove turned up to high will boil faster then a stove turned down to low, but the same amount of energy is used in both cases, so the same amount of fuel should be used. The only difference maybe how much heat is lost to the environment. Which way is more efficient could be hard to determine. I suspect there isn't enough difference to be of concern.

DownEaster
10-04-2017, 13:56
Adventures in Stoving (https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-brs-3000t-worlds-lightest-stove.html) found that the BRS-3000T failed in windy conditions. If the wind pushes the flame so it's consistently heating one of the pot supports, the thin material will warp and you end up dumping the pot.

So no, this probably won't last a through-hike; it may not last a single meal without a windscreen.

HelloNeiman!
10-04-2017, 14:53
These are 2 different things. Efficiency basically is how many boils you can get out of a canister, speed of boil is something different. Case in point the MSR Windboiler (now Reactor) can boil water faster then the Jetboil (IIRC 20 seconds faster per standard amount), but is less efficient, so uses more fuel to achieve that faster boil time.

As for that any canister stove can be made more efficient by not running it flat out max (to a point).

I do find it hard to believe that this stove is both less efficient + has longer boil times, since it is burning a common fuel which has a very consistent burn rate, and would like to see the math and method of which you base you assertion on.

I'm not providing any technical expertise, but I have this and my experience is that it works well, just not as well as a stove that is designed to be more efficient with less gas (e.g. Jet boil). It simply uses more gas because of the loss of heat in getting to the pot. This statement is not meant to be scientific, simply that you are trading weight of stove for weight/cost of more gas.

And it is very flimsy, so can break easily. I dropped it off a window ledge once and an arm broke off. Cheap to replace it ... but the truth is that you get what you pay for in a $10 stove.

With care and good windscreening it should work fine. I plan to bring this as an emergency backup to my alcohol stove during my thruhike.

Luna Anderson
10-30-2017, 22:51
For me, a solo stove is betten than these fuel stoves. These stoves is a bit lighter to carry along whilst hiking or trekking but I hate to bring extra fuel if I go for a long trip.
With the solo stove lite, the only thing we have to do is finding small wood and making a fire. A windscreen is needed in strong wind but it'll add more weight to your bag, so I dont recommend it for thu-hike.

cmoulder
10-31-2017, 08:00
Anything with an open burner will fail in the wind, even the Soto "Windmaster", which is really only slightly more wind-resistant than the others.

Simple enough to find a wind-sheltered place or to make a wind break with rocks or snow. This is an integral part of stove operation.

Photo of BRS working just fine in a 35mph breeze, ~5°F

I have a BRS that has been used a lot for testing and on the trail. I've had no problems with it, but I always handle it with the gentle touch it deserves (OK, demands!) and never use it to boil anything larger than ~750 ml (3 cup) sized pots. Occasionally after long burn times the pot supports will sag a bit but it's easy enough to bend them right back, by hand.

The only truly windproof stove 'out there' is the MSR Windburner, which is a heavy penalty for those who don't want to spend a few seconds finding a suitable wind break.

motocross269
11-03-2017, 08:07
I have both a BRS and a Pocket Rocket 2... The BRS is a fine stove and it is hard to beat the weight savings. The arms are fairly small though so it isn't good for much more than boiling water in a smaller 750ml pot. I have a few hundred miles and probably 14 or 15 cook sessions on the BRS. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a through hike because I travel light and use lightweight meals that just need boiled water. If you want to get more extravagant in your cooking kitchen I would stay away from the BRS..

zig-zag man
11-04-2017, 08:25
FWIW. I have the BRS 3000 UL stove and have used it numerous times with little/no issues. It is somewhat fragile, and requires care in positioning your vessel on it's small-diameter arms. All-in-all a workable unit. I am, however, thinking of trying to use the fancy feast alcohol stove I made going forward. I immediately identified with something Shug said on one of his videos. A canister stove, to me, sounds like a cutting torch. That is not the sound I particularly want to hear in the wild - especially since I have spent a career in the loud construction industry. It certainly masks any sounds of nature which may be present, which defeats part of why I'm in the wilderness. Alcohol stoves make no noise at all to speak of, and accomplish the same thing as a canister stove. Just my opinion.

cmoulder
11-04-2017, 08:36
Canister is better for winter, IME. Alcohol energy density and flame velocity are not good for melting snow.

Otherwise I use alcohol about 90% of the time, and Esbit when I get the bug to go really light.

I do like the silent operation of alcohol, however.

DrL
11-04-2017, 08:44
FWIW. I have the BRS 3000 UL stove and have used it numerous times with little/no issues. It is somewhat fragile, and requires care in positioning your vessel on it's small-diameter arms. All-in-all a workable unit. I am, however, thinking of trying to use the fancy feast alcohol stove I made going forward. I immediately identified with something Shug said on one of his videos. A canister stove, to me, sounds like a cutting torch. That is not the sound I particularly want to hear in the wild - especially since I have spent a career in the loud construction industry. It certainly masks any sounds of nature which may be present, which defeats part of why I'm in the wilderness. Alcohol stoves make no noise at all to speak of, and accomplish the same thing as a canister stove. Just my opinion.Yeah, the quiet aspect of alcohol stoves seems slightly overlooked. I was recently brewing a cup of tea while listening to a screech owl, perhaps two, whinny in the forest. Such a great moment made possible by the silent operation.

zelph
11-04-2017, 09:13
Yeah, the quiet aspect of alcohol stoves seems slightly overlooked. I was recently brewing a cup of tea while listening to a screech owl, perhaps two, whinny in the forest. Such a great moment made possible by the silent operation.

Shug aka Sean Emery has a way about his video that emphasizes "quiet"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAFAsPfC4s

DrL
11-04-2017, 09:28
Shug aka Sean Emery has a way about his video that emphasizes "quiet"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAFAsPfC4sYes! Loons looning or an otter ottering!

zelph
11-27-2017, 13:23
Alcohol can be used with wood burning stoves when wet wood is all you can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiPp2ZvL3h8&t=2s