PDA

View Full Version : Gut Hook App

Rowdy Yates
10-04-2017, 09:17
:-? I hear a lot about the Gut Hook App. Is it only for smartphones? How much does it cost? Does it include the entire A.T.? Just curious.

tflaris
10-04-2017, 09:24
http://atlasguides.com

http://atlasguides.com/appalachian-trail/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2017, 09:58
Guthook is best known as a smart phone app that downloads a map for the trail (or trail segment) you've purchased. The app works with your cell phones GPS and therefore can pinpoint your location on the map even when you are out of cell phone range. The map includes way points for things such as trail intersections, campsites, water sources. Again, the app uses the GPS and the known length of the trail to tell you how far away you are from these land marks.

For shorter trails, like the 210 mile JMT, a single Guthook purchase provides the data for the entire trial.
For longer trails, like the 2000+ mile AT, a single Guthook purchase provides the data for a section of the trail.

I purchased the Guthook app for my JMT thru and really liked it. While there's definitely room for improvement (I'd like to see the ability to add your own way points), I believed it was well worth the cost.

BILLK
10-04-2017, 17:16
You can purchase Guthooks app in sections for the AT, the approach trail is free if you want to check it out. You will need a smartphone and it works in airplane mode so you don't use up battery power too quickly and you do not need to have reception for it to work. It lets you see exactly where you are on the trail and distances to next shelter and water source as well as brief description.

soumodeler
10-04-2017, 17:24
Purchasing the entire set gets you a discount over buying individual sections. If I remember right, the entire set costs $60 and the individual ones cost less than $10 each.

Well worth it in my opinion. I tend to use it more than my AWOL guide now, but I do take both- as a backup in case of phone failure and for the different info included in AWOL.

methodman
10-08-2017, 18:00
If you purchased the entire set for the A.T. how long do the maps get updated? Is there a time limit? After a certain period of time, will the app not continue to work without further payment ? It will be some time before my attempt and I want to use it on hikes on the A.T. before my thru attempt.

soumodeler
10-08-2017, 18:20
Lifetime as far as I know.

methodman
10-08-2017, 18:21
Also the updates?

soumodeler
10-08-2017, 20:14
I believe so.