PDA

View Full Version : tennis ball launcher for rock sack

jefals
10-05-2017, 20:04
Has anyone ever tried something like this for getting the rock sack over the branch?
I don't really have the arm strength any more to just throw it over some tall branches. .

saltysack
10-05-2017, 20:13
If you can’t hang effectively simply use an odor barrier bag and sleep with it away from the rat traps where animals are accustomed to finding food. Another option that some recommended is the Ursack, simply tie to a tree away from camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
10-05-2017, 20:21
Has anyone ever tried something like this for getting the rock sack over the branch?
I don't really have the arm strength any more to just throw it over some tall branches. .

well for starters, sling it underhand.

or use a cannister if you dont like sleeping with food.

blw2
10-05-2017, 20:28
I haven't
but a suggestion....google search for "arborist slingshot"
I had an arborist come out once to do some maintenance on a huge oak at my old house. He had a slingshot and a slick pull rope to haul up his climbing lines up into the highest branches. He climbed all over that tree without spikes.... like a squirrel. I have thought that a slingshot rig, perhaps something using a hiking pole as a base frame, might be a great alternative to throwing....could serve dual purpose, also for sport/fun target shooting or even for survival hunting in survival mode.....

blw2
10-05-2017, 20:31
i meant to add.... I don't think it would need to be nearly as big or strong as the arborist slingshot..... that was just the idea for inspiration. No need to go that high....

jefals
10-05-2017, 20:34
If you can’t hang effectively simply use an odor barrier bag and sleep with it away from the rat traps where animals are accustomed to finding food. Another option that some recommended is the Ursack, simply tie to a tree away from camp.

Yeah, I actually do have my food in an odor barrier bag, inside an ursak. I used to tie it to a tree a couple hundred steps from camp, but now I sleep with it.
But my son just gave me this idea about the tennis ball launcher, so I figured I'd see what you guys think about it.

jefals
10-05-2017, 20:36
i meant to add.... I don't think it would need to be nearly as big or strong as the arborist slingshot..... that was just the idea for inspiration. No need to go that high....
Sounds like a similar idea. I like to watch these guys also when they're trimming my maple tree...

Slo-go'en
10-05-2017, 21:27
Hope you got a lot of line, one of those (tennis ball launcher) can shot over the top of a 100 foot tree! I can't see wanting to carry one around. They are usually made out of a couple of pounds of PVC tubing and are kind of bulky. Various forms of propellants can be used. Compressed air is common. The other is lighter fluid and that is a bit more dangerous. Anyway, not a practical solution.

A 20 oz soda bottle about 1/3d full of water makes an ideal throwing weight. Tie a light cord around the neck of the bottle or under the cap if possible. The bottle shape and size is such that it fits in the hand nicely and it's nearly impossible to get it snagged in a tree. Look around any campsite, you'll bound to start seeing bits of rope handing off of tree limbs as the result of it getting snagged around a branch. My underhand throw always angles to the left (right handed throw), so I aim to the right of where I'd like it to go. Takes some practice and often a couple of tries, especially when tired after a long day.

jefals
10-05-2017, 22:18
Hope you got a lot of line, one of those (tennis ball launcher) can shot over the top of a 100 foot tree! I can't see wanting to carry one around. They are usually made out of a couple of pounds of PVC tubing and are kind of bulky. Various forms of propellants can be used. Compressed air is common. The other is lighter fluid and that is a bit more dangerous. Anyway, not a practical solu
Hmm. Not sure we're talking about the same thing. I see one on Amazon for 7 bucks that weighs 4 ounces. I'm thinking the flexible plastic handle is what gives you the ability to sling that tennis ball ( or rock sack? ) farther; no propellant involved.

George
10-05-2017, 23:24
that is a dog tennis ball thrower - mostly to keep the spit off your hand

jefals
10-05-2017, 23:52
yeah, that's what I was talking about. if it'll do the job of helping you get the rock sack over the branch, that's all you need....nothin too fancy...

blw2
10-06-2017, 06:25
ahhh....interesting idea.
I too was picturing any form of canon.
ive never used one, how acurate and precise can you get with them? I guess anything is possible with practice....

Venchka
10-06-2017, 07:58
Hmm. Not sure we're talking about the same thing. I see one on Amazon for 7 bucks that weighs 4 ounces. I'm thinking the flexible plastic handle is what gives you the ability to sling that tennis ball ( or rock sack? ) farther; no propellant involved.

Yo Jeff,
Please show us the link to that launcher thing at Amazon. My feeble search skills can’t get close to the weight or price.
Thanks!
Wayne

saltysack
10-06-2017, 08:11
Hope you got a lot of line, one of those (tennis ball launcher) can shot over the top of a 100 foot tree! I can't see wanting to carry one around. They are usually made out of a couple of pounds of PVC tubing and are kind of bulky. Various forms of propellants can be used. Compressed air is common. The other is lighter fluid and that is a bit more dangerous. Anyway, not a practical solution.

A 20 oz soda bottle about 1/3d full of water makes an ideal throwing weight. Tie a light cord around the neck of the bottle or under the cap if possible. The bottle shape and size is such that it fits in the hand nicely and it's nearly impossible to get it snagged in a tree. Look around any campsite, you'll bound to start seeing bits of rope handing off of tree limbs as the result of it getting snagged around a branch. My underhand throw always angles to the left (right handed throw), so I aim to the right of where I'd like it to go. Takes some practice and often a couple of tries, especially when tired after a long day.

[emoji23]your talking about a potato launcher.....

JJ505
10-06-2017, 12:33
This is out there, but what about a thick elastic bag to make kind of a slingshot? Attach to the rock sack. Wouldn't weigh much, but not sure it would work. There is a dog toy that is a tennis ball with an elastic band on it. It's called the Ultra Tug. I have seen that thing really fly.

JJ505
10-06-2017, 12:38
WB, doesn't seem to allow editing, sorry. I forgot the Ultra Tug is NOT a slingshot. You throw it with the elastic band, but it isn't used like a sling shot. It takes no skill to get it right.

rocketsocks
10-06-2017, 13:03
We use to make soup can cannons to shoot flaming tennis balls...why I don't know!

Puddlefish
10-06-2017, 14:06
I got really good at tossing bear bag lines. Chances are that if you miss just once... some bratty kid will be right along to offer to toss the line for you. It's one of the guilty pleasures on the AT to discretely watch people throwing lines poorly. Kind of like watching old men dock boats in marinas.

Seriously, on the AT, there's almost always someone else around who'll be happy to help you toss a line. If you're off stealth camping away from hardened sites, there's less chance an acclimatized bear will be sniffing around your tent.

Practice with the soda bottle idea that Slo mentioned, see if you can manage the throw with a thin lightweight cord. The lighter the cord, the lighter the throwing weight.

Venchka
10-06-2017, 14:20
Jeff and I don’t backpack in the same time zone as the AT.
We rarely have company.
Moving well away from the target branch is key. You can’t throw the bag/bottle over the branch if you’re under the branch.
Wayne

Puddlefish
10-06-2017, 14:22
Jeff and I don’t backpack in the same time zone as the AT.
We rarely have company.
Moving well away from the target branch is key. You can’t throw the bag/bottle over the branch if you’re under the branch.
Wayne

Posting on an AT forum, I kind of assumed he was planning an AT trip.

Venchka
10-06-2017, 16:32

That crazy Jeff! Grinning.
He’s out hiking on the Left Coast right now.
He should pay attention. Hey?
Wayne

Another Kevin
10-06-2017, 17:34
I can't see bringing a device to throw my bear bag line, unless it had another purpose. Whirling and casting a rock doesn't take a lot of arm strength.

Rock sacks are for hikers who can't tie monkeys-fists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey's_fist).

TTT
10-06-2017, 18:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-kPGOR2gsQ

Venchka
10-06-2017, 18:59
Trebuchet or go home.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nomeW2FDDtM

Wayne

rocketsocks
10-06-2017, 19:12
Trebuchet or go home.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nomeW2FDDtM

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkalso comes in a pocket model

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6qCaDsux6aQ

jefals
10-06-2017, 19:47
We use to make soup can cannons to shoot flaming tennis balls...why I don't know!
I somehow think they might frown on that idea out here in Calif, rocket. :)

jefals
10-06-2017, 19:50

[emoji23]your talking about a potato launcher.....

I used to practice with the maple tree in my back yard, till I almost be and the neighbor's dog!
(I never DID like that mutt) !:D

GoLight
10-06-2017, 19:52

Yes, you would think so. fooled me too.

jefals
10-06-2017, 19:53
This is out there, but what about a thick elastic bag to make kind of a slingshot? Attach to the rock sack. Wouldn't weigh much, but not sure it would work. There is a dog toy that is a tennis ball with an elastic band on it. It's called the Ultra Tug. I have seen that thing really fly.
I don't know how you would make a slingshot out of a thick elastic bag attached to a rocksack...
But -- how bout if you just buy a slingshot?

jefals
10-06-2017, 19:59

Yes, you would think so. fooled me too.
It doesn't matter what trail we're talking. You can assume it's the AT. We're talking about throwing a rock sack over a tree branch -- so, we can assume we have trees with branches. They got a few of those on the AT - right? :)

Venchka
10-06-2017, 20:39
Some of us throw a plastic bottle with a few ounces of water in it.
Or lash the Ursack to something heavy.
Jeff,
Did you say that you sleep with your food? Ack!
Welcome to the club!
Wayne

jefals
10-06-2017, 20:51
Some of us throw a plastic bottle with a few ounces of water in it.
Or lash the Ursack to something heavy.
Jeff,
Did you say that you sleep with your food? Ack!
Welcome to the club!
Wayne

Ok. Well, NOW I guess we DO have to get a little trail specific. Where I generally hike, you would NEVER throw a plastic bottle of water anywhere!
Yeah, I sleep with it. I started this thread cause my son got this idea. Funny how conversations evolve. We started out down "memory lane", talking about old times, playing catch at the park -- and wound up talking about this idea to help decrepid old geezer backpackers like me to get a food bag up a tree! :)

Venchka
10-06-2017, 21:01
What have you got against water bottles and Geezers like me throwing a bottle over a branch?
Is this a challenge?
Wait. Are the trees sequoias? [emoji12]
Wayne

jefals
10-06-2017, 21:24
What have you got against water bottles and Geezers like me throwing a bottle over a branch?
Is this a challenge?
Wait. Are the trees sequoias? [emoji12]
Wayne

Yeah, sometimes they're sequoias. But mainly, if you're 25 miles from the next creek, you don't take chances with yer water!

Puddlefish
10-06-2017, 21:32
Ok. Well, NOW I guess we DO have to get a little trail specific. Where I generally hike, you would NEVER throw a plastic bottle of water anywhere!
Yeah, I sleep with it. I started this thread cause my son got this idea. Funny how conversations evolve. We started out down "memory lane", talking about old times, playing catch at the park -- and wound up talking about this idea to help decrepid old geezer backpackers like me to get a food bag up a tree! :)

I hiked with a twenty something woman for a bit, who told the following story. She was practicing pre-hike at a local park tossing a line over a tree branch, when she noticed an entire Little League baseball team was laughing at her technique.

You're not alone in having difficulty making the throw, enjoy that hike anyway!

JJ505
10-06-2017, 21:36
I don't know how you would make a slingshot out of a thick elastic bag attached to a rocksack...
But -- how bout if you just buy a slingshot?

Well I clarified it's not actually a slingshot. It's sold as a tug toy, but if you hold onto the band you can get quite a good throw. I think a slingshot would take some skill to get right. But just getting a 6 inch piece of wide elastic band and attach to sack might work just as well.

jefals
10-06-2017, 21:39

I hiked with a twenty something woman for a bit, who told the following story. She was practicing pre-hike at a local park tossing a line over a tree branch, when she noticed an entire Little League baseball team was laughing at her technique.

You're not alone in having difficulty making the throw, enjoy that hike anyway!
Thanx bud! :)
HEY! Where can I find a twenty something woman to hike with for a bit? :)
That reminds me of a Hugh Hefner story. He wanted to date one of the models. She said she never dated anyone over 30. He said "Great! Neither do I"! :)

Venchka
10-06-2017, 21:56
Yeah, sometimes they're sequoias. But mainly, if you're 25 miles from the next creek, you don't take chances with yer water!

A dedicated 8-16 ounce throwing over a branch bottle.
I’m not as dumb as I look.
Wayne

Venchka
10-06-2017, 21:57
Ps:
Who knowingly picks a place to hike because you’re 25 miles from water?
Wayne

jefals
10-06-2017, 22:49
Ps:
Who knowingly picks a place to hike because you’re 25 miles from water?
Wayne

I don't know who would specifically pick a place to hike because they are 25 miles from water. But people hiking the PCT find themselves 25 or more miles from water on several occasions. .

Sovi
10-06-2017, 22:57
Rock sacks are for hikers who can't tie monkeys-fists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey's_fist).

does that mean carabiners are for hikers who cant tie a bowline?

DownEaster
10-06-2017, 23:34
That reminds me of a Hugh Hefner story. He wanted to date one of the models. She said she never dated anyone over 30. He said "Great! Neither do I"! :)
Your memory is a bit off. It's actually about Barbi Benton, then age 18, and Hugh Hefner at 42. Quoted from here (http://people.com/tv/hugh-hefner-longtime-love-barbi-benton-exclusive-interview/):

“The first thing he asked me was if would mind if he held my hand,” she continues. “I told him I had never been out with anybody over 24 and he said, ‘Neither have I!’ I looked at him like, is he joking, or is it true?”

blw2
10-07-2017, 04:55
Well I clarified it's not actually a slingshot. It's sold as a tug toy, but if you hold onto the band you can get quite a good throw. I think a slingshot would take some skill to get right. But just getting a 6 inch piece of wide elastic band and attach to sack might work just as well.

that was kinda along the lines of what I was thinking when I pointed out the arborist method earlier. Using them as inspiration, I would think something with a rubber attached to the weight...might fit the bill. Maybe a bit of latex tubing attached to a "rock sack" or something...... I have never played with these tug toys you mention, but that sounds like it could be a nice solution if they aren't too heavy.....

MuddyWaters
10-07-2017, 10:20
I can't see bringing a device to throw my bear bag line, unless it had another purpose. Whirling and casting a rock doesn't take a lot of arm strength.

well they work pretty good filled with sand where theres no rocks......

and stuffing line into them instead of wrapping it...avoids tangles

And its easier and quicker to drop a rock in than spend time trying to tie one on another way.

JJ505
10-07-2017, 19:48
that was kinda along the lines of what I was thinking when I pointed out the arborist method earlier. Using them as inspiration, I would think something with a rubber attached to the weight...might fit the bill. Maybe a bit of latex tubing attached to a "rock sack" or something...... I have never played with these tug toys you mention, but that sounds like it could be a nice solution if they aren't too heavy.....

I don't think they are heavy. Of course, never disconnected them from a tennis ball, but it isn't heavier than a tennis ball (that I could tell anyway). I have seen it thrown and everyone can throw it further than the tennis ball, so I would think it would improve one's distance and perhaps aim (after you got used to it).

MtDoraDave
10-08-2017, 07:41
well for starters, sling it underhand.

This.

My sometimes hiking partner is a lineman by trade. Apparently he honed this skill on the job.

On the AT (at least on the southern 500 I've been on) finding a rock is usually a simple task. Select a rock that has enough weight to pull the chord over the tree branch (varies, depending on how slick your chord is). Tie the bear bag chord around the rock securely. Grab the line a couple feet away from the rock and start to spin it underhand, then release it at just the right moment.

Yes, it takes practice. No, it doesn't take much strength.

*be sure to hang on to the other end of the chord with your other hand and of course, be nimble enough to get out of the way of the rock when it comes back at you.