PDA

View Full Version : Trail Remedies

rocketsocks
10-06-2017, 00:33
Once I had an earache and it was suggested to put a clove of garlic in my ear, would a ramp work?

Time Zone
10-06-2017, 08:47
Putting a ramp in your ear? I'm not following.

Look, there's a term for alternative medicine that actually works. It's called ... medicine.

It is true that some proven medicines derive from compounds found in nature (natural drugs, if you like), the benefit of modern medicine is that it isolates/purifies the effective active ingredients from ancillary compounds that may be harmful, and doses them. There's really no reason to forage for medicine instead of packing what you need. And if you have a persistent earache, go see a doctor, you could have an infection, and when you experience enough of those untreated, you'll probably damage your hearing.

Traffic Jam
10-06-2017, 09:32

Look, there's a term for alternative medicine that actually works. It's called ... medicine.

It is true that some proven medicines derive from compounds found in nature (natural drugs, if you like), the benefit of modern medicine is that it isolates/purifies the effective active ingredients from ancillary compounds that may be harmful, and doses them. There's really no reason to forage for medicine instead of packing what you need. And if you have a persistent earache, go see a doctor, you could have an infection, and when you experience enough of those untreated, you'll probably damage your hearing.

Ut oh... you might want to reconsider having me as a hiking buddy. :D

Traffic Jam
10-06-2017, 09:36
Once I had an earache and it was suggested to put a clove of garlic in my ear, would a ramp work?
An infusion of plantain

Traffic Jam
10-06-2017, 09:46
I saw mullein when hiking in NM...also used for earaches although one would have to make a tincture and that might not be easy while hiking. It's also called "cowboy toilet paper" for obvious reasons.

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2017, 09:49

No, garlic will not work on an earache. Corn is the answer. Modern corn is grown to exactly the size to properly dose/treat an earache, which is why they now refer to them as an ear of corn.

Oddly enough, an ear of corn cannot cure corns on your feet. Those are best treated by putting a full size red onion inside your hiking boot It may be a tight fit getting your foot in there with the onion inside, but the results are well worth the effort. You can trust me on that one, David Wolfe told me. :p

Traffic Jam
10-06-2017, 09:53
No, garlic will not work on an earache. Corn is the answer. Modern corn is grown to exactly the size to properly dose/treat an earache, which is why they now refer to them as an ear of corn.

Oddly enough, an ear of corn cannot cure corns on your feet. Those are best treated by putting a full size red onion inside your hiking boot It may be a tight fit getting your foot in there with the onion inside, but the results are well worth the effort. You can trust me on that one, David Wolfe told me. :p
:)

I know for a fact that corn up the nose cures nothing. Now a chili seed is a different matter.

grubbster
10-06-2017, 10:14

You did see what forum this is, yes?

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2017, 10:23

Just be glad it's not gmo garlic

Traffic Jam
10-06-2017, 10:32

Nope... I never pay attention. There has to be an herb for that...

TTT
10-06-2017, 10:33
Overdosing consistently on Zinc will assist your complexion if you have acne etc
A teaspoon of Cayenne pepper drunk daily in hot water will sort out ulcers and be heart food
Nutmeg and pure gelatin will bring relief to stiff/sore joints
Boiled stinging nettles are good for the lungs

That's all I know...

gracebowen
10-06-2017, 11:37
I thought the ramps were for creek crossings.

rocketsocks
10-06-2017, 11:42
Thanks all, I never know what to choose, I'll just have the salad!

MuddyWaters
10-06-2017, 11:56
Earache is caused by pressure behind eardrum from infection fluids . Blocked eustachian tubes prevent fluid from draining into throat. All you need to relieve pressure is a small sharp stick.

rocketsocks
10-06-2017, 12:20
Earache is caused by pressure behind eardrum from infection fluids . Blocked eustachian tubes prevent fluid from draining into throat. All you need to relieve pressure is a small sharp stick.
Earache my Eye!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VJW67QN24SA

Starchild
10-06-2017, 12:35
There are quite a few remedies which can be gotten on trail, some of them darn good and if given the choice I would chose those few natural remedies first (for a few certain things, not everything) before what I could get in a drug store, garlic or ramps in the ear is not one which I know of.

Time Zone
10-06-2017, 13:28

Nope, but thanks for pointing it out. I usually just go to "Today's Posts" to see what chatter is going on. I rarely look at the forum from which it comes. Obviously doing so would have been slightly helpful here, though I still don't get it even as humor.

Time Zone
10-06-2017, 13:30
All you need to relieve pressure is a small sharp stick.

Eric Idle, is that you?

https://youtu.be/U90dnUbZMmM?t=46s

kestral
10-06-2017, 20:29
I thought the ramps were for creek crossings.

No, ramps are for wheelchair access for injured hikers.

BuckeyeBill
10-09-2017, 11:27
Oddly enough, pharmaceutical companies often send biologist into the jungles to find new plants and roots that have some magical medicinal purpose. On the other hand, they are also synthesizing several things in labs that imitate these same plants and roots.

BuckeyeBill
10-09-2017, 11:29
In answer to the original question, it has been said to put a drop of urine in the ear and then a cotton ball. Never tried it never will.

Deacon
10-12-2017, 14:28

In the ear or up the nose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro