PDA

View Full Version : So, it's going to rain....GSMNP

C-Stepper
10-06-2017, 05:01
I'm heading to the Smokies next week. I'll get there on Wednesday. I only have one stream crossing for the long weekend (without a bridge). Nate is supposed to pass through there on, it looks like, Monday and Tuesday, dropping I imagine a good bit of rain. I have been to the park numerous times but not after a rain event like this. What should I expect? Will bridges be ok to cross? When should I call it a hike and turn around? I'm a solo hiker so please keep that in mind.

centerfieldr162
10-06-2017, 08:06
What trails are you planning to be on? What stream crossing in particular? That will give a better idea. I've been after large amounts of rain and never had an issue crossing bridges but stream crossings can be different.

HooKooDooKu
10-06-2017, 09:45
GSMNP hasn't had much rain for the last several weeks. That means creeks are currently low and the ground is set to absorb a lot of rain.

The only time un-bridged stream crossings seriously "dangerous" in GSMNP is immediately after a heavy rain event. But even then, the creeks drop very quickly. Given that the bulk of the rain is due to fall Sunday and Monday, I don't think you'll have major issues come Wednesday.

Yea, the creek levels will be higher than they've been the last few weeks. But the only trail in the entire park that has a warning sign regarding a potentially hazardous stream crossing is Gunter Fork.

If you find a creek that looks uncomfortable to cross... simply take your time and look up and down stream for an area that doesn't have fast flowing water. After all, if you can find a pool and your gear is properly protected, you could effectively swim across the deepest creek.

Several years ago, I hiked down Forney Creek trail after weeks of heavy rains. I had my 10yo son with me, so I had to ensure not only my safety but the safety of a less-able-bodied child. I checked with the ranger station to get any input on creek levels and they didn't recommend I try to take a child on that trial at that time. I went anyway with the notion that if a creek crossing looked too dangerous, I would simply turn back. When we got to the major creek crossings, usually there was a huge rush of water right where the trail intersected the creek. I usually couldn't see the creek bed from the rush of white water. But by taking my time and searching for safer spots to cross, I was able to get both of us safely across the creek without ever feeling like I was ever putting either of us in danger. I'll admit it was a challenge... a challenge I started to grow tired of by the 5th creek crossing. But we safely made our way down the trail. Now in some cases we had to walk up the creek perhaps a 100 feet before we found a safe place to cross... I might have gotten wet to the bottom of my shorts (my son to his waist). But we did it and did it safely.

So if I were you, based on what I know of GSMNP, I would not change my plans. Worst case, be prepared to turn back if you have to... but know that you should be able to safely complete your hike if you are prepared to take your time and your gear is packed safe to ensure anything that needs to stay dry .... stays dry.

I'd be happy to provide additional feedback on the trails you plan to take if you would like to either post your itinerary or sent me a PM.

C-Stepper
10-07-2017, 08:11
Thanks to you both. I can't post where I will be going for safety reasons. However you have given me some peace of mind. I have been a little nervous crossing some of the streams in early spring during snowmelt (eagle creek comes to mind) so I expect it will be a bit worse this go round, sounds like. Still don't know if I will go or not...really don't want to waste vacation days, either. What crappy timing.

Tipi Walter
10-07-2017, 08:51
Hurricanes usually bring in ALOT of rain to our Southeast mountains---although I was out for both Harvey and Irma and I didn't see that much rain---because I was on Jacks River and that's the last place you want to be in flood conditions.

Starting a short trip during a hurricane pass-over is probably not fun but if your trip is 10 or 15 days you can hunker in during the worst of it and wait for creeks to drop. One time I was in the Bald River wilderness during a tough rainstorm and had to cross Upper Bald River after a terrible rainstorm.

Here is Bald River during a calm moment when I did a dayhike into the wilderness with Little Mitten---pictured on a rock.

Here is the same exact place a couple years later when I was pulling a solo backpacking trip along the river. I had to cross this beast 3 miles upstream from where this picture was taken---it was the stupidest thing I ever did.

Point is? Always be on the right side of a creek when a big storm hits. What's the right side? The one that offers a side trail out of the mess.

Hikingjim
10-07-2017, 09:01
You can safely cross slow moving water near your waist (pack belt/strap undone), and faster flow is more comfortable closer to the knee
Looking at a couple mountain forecasts, it looks like sunday/monday and especially tuesday will bring quite a lot of rain, and weds/thurs have a good chance of keeping some (less) coming. Based on that, anything you can pass on Wednesday is not going to get higher or worse.... so you can turn around if you find something out of your comfort zone further along. And Tuesday night/Wednesday morning should be the peak flow

I suggest bringing a backup plan for where you want to go if your planned route doesn't work out for whatever reason!

It's actually not the worst timing. Much better than going tuesday. Elevated water makes trails more enjoyable if they're safely passable, so enjoy!

C-Stepper
10-07-2017, 13:14
It's actually not the worst timing. Much better than going tuesday.

:). Well I guess you are right about that! The stream crossing comes the second day of a four day hike. At worst I can turn around then and it will still be a four day hike, just a more sucky out and back. You all have convinced me to keep my plans. If nothing else I will learn how to ford streams better.

soilman
10-07-2017, 19:31
I just hiked the BMT NOBO through the GSMNP Sept. 23-27. Had three fords, two on Noland Creek. The first was calf deep and the second was knee deep. The BMT guides state this crossing can be dangerous during flooding. The third was near Enloe Creek. It was only ankle deep.

HooKooDooKu
10-07-2017, 22:42
I just hiked the BMT NOBO through the GSMNP Sept. 23-27. Had three fords, two on Noland Creek. The first was calf deep and the second was knee deep. The BMT guides state this crossing can be dangerous during flooding. The third was near Enloe Creek. It was only ankle deep.
As I previously stated, it's been dry lately so the creeks are currently low... but with the coming rain, they will rise. ANY of the fords can be dangerous during flooding, but most of the creeks in GSMNP are steep and flood waters usually recede pretty quickly.