PDA

View Full Version : Old tent, silnylon aging?

rafe
10-06-2017, 09:30
Wondering if I need a new tent. Early this summer my 2007 Tarptent Rainbow kinda let me down, during a heavy downpour. Maybe the seam sealing went bad over time. Maybe the silnylon has lost its some of its water resistance. Maybe that's all I can expect from a ten year old tent. Maybe that's just old technology. I just don't know. Thoughts?

I love this tent for its low weight, quick setup, ample space. But not for its weather resistance or ultimate protection. I've had much better, in that regard.

martinb
10-06-2017, 09:32
It's time for a new Rainbow.

rafe
10-06-2017, 09:41
It's time for a new Rainbow.

Fine, but tell me why you think so...

scrabbler
10-06-2017, 09:55
Just a thought, have you tried giving it a coat of silicone waterproofing spray?

Tipi Walter
10-06-2017, 09:59
Did the tent leak thru the seams or did the rain come thru the actual silnylon fabric??

Many backpacking items are disposable items---such as socks and boots and t-shirts and other gear. Oh and Thermarest inflatable pads. I put tents in the disposable category.

I always try to replace these items BEFORE they fail, a sort of precautionary purchasing plan. I have no problem up-gearing to a new tent because when it's time, it's time.

And if a tent can't keep you warm(er) and dry and protected it's useless.

rafe
10-06-2017, 10:27
Did the tent leak thru the seams or did the rain come thru the actual silnylon fabric??

I think it was the top seam, this last time. But it's always had the "misting" problem, even when it was new. I have since re-done the seam sealing, but I'm at a loss on how to test it. Blast it with a garden hose?

Many backpacking items are disposable items---such as socks and boots and t-shirts and other gear. Oh and Thermarest inflatable pads. I put tents in the disposable category.

Disagree on the Thermarest pads, they hold up well IMO. My old packs and sleeping bags are still 100% serviceable and functional. My old Leki poles went twelve or thirteen years.

I always try to replace these items BEFORE they fail, a sort of precautionary purchasing plan. I have no problem up-gearing to a new tent because when it's time, it's time.

And if a tent can't keep you warm(er) and dry and protected it's useless.

I say the Tarptent "let me down." It did not fail completely. But it's never been as dry as, for example, my old Timberline or Solitaire -- both of them cheap and double-walled. I accept, to some extent, there is a tradeoff involved -- maybe a single wall tent will never be as rain-proof as a double wall. Or maybe Tarptent is using a better grade of silnylon nowadays. I just don't know.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but up till now my Tarptent hasn't been in that many heavy downpours. In light or moderate rain, it's fine.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2017, 10:45
Disagree on the Thermarest pads, they hold up well IMO. My old packs and sleeping bags are still 100% serviceable and functional. My old Leki poles went twelve or thirteen years.

I replace my Thermarest pads every couple years, just in case. They hold up well . . . until they don't---

This was on Day 10 of a 17 day trip---

As far as testing a tent---get a garden water sprinkler and place it by the tent set up in the yard and leave it running for several hours. The constant pounding of water will test any tent.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/17-Days-In-Rattlerville/i-hQKjHcH/0/14dc040d/XL/Trip%20165%20287-XL.jpg

rafe
10-06-2017, 12:43
So I sent more or less the same question to Tarptent via their web page. This was what I asked:

2007 Tarptent Rainbow. Love it, except when it rains. Does silnylon go bad over time? Would a new Rainbow be dryer? Can I get a hot deal on a new one for being an "early adopter? :) Thanks.

I got this response from Henry Shires, about an hour later. I continue to be very impressed with their responsiveness and support.

Hi Raphael,

All fabrics “go bad” eventually due to decay and especially UV exposure. What there a time when it did perform well in rain and has it just getting worse over time? If so, yes, after 10 years it’s probably time. New Rainbows have pressure ratings of 3x higher than the ones from 2007.

Thanks.

Henry Shires

He didn't respond to my last query. :cool:

scrabbler
10-06-2017, 12:51
Can I buy your old one? PM me if interested.

rafe
10-06-2017, 13:00
Can I buy your old one? PM me if interested.

Got it. I will definitely keep you in mind.

Starchild
10-06-2017, 13:16
He didn't respond to my last query. :cool:

Looks to me he did, by, umm... not responding.

alborg2
10-06-2017, 14:08
I have a many-years-old North Face tent that started to leak thru the seams, as well as misting right thru the fabric. The original seam sealer was flaking off in sections along the seams. I washed it thoroughly and used a stiff brush to get as much of the flaking seam sealer off as possible. I then used Tarptents' own instructions for seam sealing, and coated both sides of the seams as well as the entire fabric surface. After drying I tested it with a powerful garden hose and had no leaks! I'm still using that tent 2 years after treating it. As long as the stitching and fabric are in good condition I wouldn't hesitate to try to save an old tent by doing this again. The only thing I did different from their instructions was to immediately wipe off any excess with a clean cloth before it dried on the fabric. You're not trying to coat the fabric/seams, you're trying to get the silicone to flow into the pores. Once dried you can't see any signs that it was sealed.

https://www.tarptent.com/faq.html

"To seam seal your tent: Set up the tent outside in a well-ventilated location. Mix about a tablespoon of silicone with a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits(paint thinner) and then apply the solution with a small foam brush. Add more mineral spirits if the solution gets too thick. The goal is heavy olive oil consistency. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes. Allow sealant to dry for several hours, ideally overnight, until the solution is no longer sticky/gummy to the touch. Allowing the Tarptent to dry outside also allows for the odor of the seam-seal solution to dissipate."

TexasBob
10-06-2017, 14:12
https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/17-Days-In-Rattlerville/i-hQKjHcH/0/14dc040d/XL/Trip%20165%20287-XL.jpg
Where can get one those thermarests with the built in pillow? :D

Tipi Walter
10-06-2017, 15:00
They are rare Pads and only the elect few get such special models. I was on a waiting list for 7 years and then qualified to purchase the item.

Leo L.
10-07-2017, 03:41
It seems I had qualified for another one, but was less lucky: Thermarest provided me a model where the pillow was misplaced, around the shoulder area.
Had actually happened to an older Thermarest I got back from the Cascade Design repair shop.

Leo L.
10-07-2017, 03:45
Just to add:
Ten years lifespan for a modern lightweight tent seems to be reasonable.
Older but much heavier stuff might keep up longer. I have a Salewa Sierra Leone 2P tent that is over 35 years old and is not worse than "a bit leaky".

MuddyWaters
10-07-2017, 04:14
Everything is disposeable
Materials degrade over time
Adhesives and coatings fail and degrade
Might take 10 yrs, might take 50 yrs,
But used or not, every fabric or synthetic item will be junk

Even if look good, its lost substantial fabric strength and will fail

garlic08
10-07-2017, 07:20
Not too long ago I retired my Tarptent Contrail of the same vintage. It had seen the CDT, AT, AZT, PNT, WT and finally a TransAm bike trek did it in. Probably nearly 8000 trail and 5000 bicycle miles. It was definitely losing material on the canopy, and the death knell was the corners ripping off where the guy lines attached. On the last night, the zipper failed too.

Curiously, the floor was still pristine and I had never used a ground cloth with that model, but that's a different thread....