PDA

View Full Version : AT south of WV 9.

SkeeterPee
10-06-2017, 16:16
Planning a fall hike starting at West Virginia 9 and heading into VA southbound and going into SNP This is the rollercoaster and about half of SNP. Looking at my guide it seems like there would not be a lot of options other than camping at or near the shelters. For instance if you did not want to go those exact distances, but want to do 8 miles vs 10 between 2 shelters.

Or is there opportunities for dispersed camping? My Bother may not want to hike the extra miles when I consider how much to hike each day to hit shelters.

moldy
10-06-2017, 16:40
So hike 8 or 10 miles and stop. There are plenty of places to camp in this area. I like to pick a spot near a water source and get off the AT at least a 100 yards or more. You will be alone and you will find more fire wood in these places that are not usually camped in. For the first couple of days don't go too far off trail because you might end up in somebody's back yard.

Slo-go'en
10-06-2017, 17:57
I seem to remember a tent site and stream at the bottom of most of the dips in the roller coaster. That is the only practical place to camp along there. Once you get near Bears Den, your on a narrow rocky ridge and finding off trail tent sites might be possible, but down right uncomfortable. Then it gets pretty easy hiking.