PDA

View Full Version : A beginner's guide to the PCT

Hkingspree
10-07-2017, 04:25
I have written a beginner's guide to the Pacific Crest Trail, explaining the different parts of the trail, what to expect and how to prepare yourself for such a journey. It would be great to have some feedback from the community!

https://hikingspree.com/pacific-crest-trail/

PS: the site is ad-free.

jefals
10-07-2017, 13:51
I enjoyed it. I'd like to hear an expert's take on that pre-hike diet plan you laid out, tho. I don't buy it. Packing on a bunch of extra fat before you start hiking? Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster!

gwschenk
10-10-2017, 09:28
Tatu Joe used that strategy on his record hikes.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-10-2017, 10:53
I enjoyed it. I'd like to hear an expert's take on that pre-hike diet plan you laid out, tho. I don't buy it. Packing on a bunch of extra fat before you start hiking? Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster!
If the scale at the Big Bear hostel was to be believed, I dropped 7lbs by the time I got there.

Malto
10-10-2017, 11:23
I completely disagree with the weight gain. Rather than carry an extra 10 lbs of body fat you could carry 5 extra pounds of food out of EVERY resupply and be in better shape and have more fun eating.

dudeijuststarted
10-18-2017, 14:29
I completely disagree with the weight gain. Rather than carry an extra 10 lbs of body fat you could carry 5 extra pounds of food out of EVERY resupply and be in better shape and have more fun eating.

Agreed. I got in shape for my AT thru and had no problems. Decided to "bulk up" about 20 lbs on beer and junk food before the Long Trail and I felt so heavy I didn't want to continue, and I didn't. PCT section hiking coming soon, moving out there. Do not plan on getting fat to hike.

colorado_rob
10-18-2017, 15:03
The weight-gain strategy works for some, not others, simple as that. Works well for me, but I run pretty skinny "normally". I like to add 5-7 pounds before a big hike, and I don't really notice the weight, but I do notice the extra stamina and lack of extreme hunger for the first couple of weeks (then it all wears off, of course). I've done and not done it (the weight gain thing) enough times I recognize the difference.