PDA

View Full Version : re: maildrop question Do I have enough for AT thru hike?

DavidNH
02-05-2006, 17:54
Hey folks!

I am going to be thru hiking North Bound (my first thru hike!) starting late march (3/21/06).

My current intention is to buy food mostly from stores en route and use mail drops no more than necessary. I will be starting off with 4 days of food..enough to get me from Amicolola Falls State park to Neels Gap.

Current thought:

I am presuming that I can resupply food wise at the Walsi YI hostel in Neels Gap. Sounds like this is doable. Anyone ever had a problem with that store's food supply running out there?

Natahalla Outdoor Center (NOC) : box of food mailed: Enough to get me to Fontana Dam I am guessing two days worth.

Fontana Dam: Mail drop 6 days of food and any other sundry items that may be needed..ie blister prevention moleskin..enough to get me through the smokies. On the subject, would the box have to be mailed to the post office there? ( It would be my luck to get there Saturday afternoon!).

Perrisburg, VA where I would mail winter clothes home

Glencliff, NH where the winter stuff comes back and summer stuff goes home.

I have a brother in MASS who will serve as my home base so to speak and can send out and receive mailings (he has already agreed to do this--though he wants to know details sooner than later). Also.. I need to make things easy on him as possible.. he is not a long distance hiker.

I am also considering haveing a "bounce" box that could contain items I might use in town and not on trail. do most hikers use a bounce box or not?

My feeling is if you can ge the food from a supermarket..no need having food mailed down!

So ..will I be in good shape if I follow scenario listed above? Any modifications you might suggest?

All feedback appreciated, especially from you veterans!

I have not bought any of my food yet or prepared any boxes.. so it is not to late for any critical feed back!!

thanks so much,

DavidNH

Footslogger
02-05-2006, 18:00
David,

Your plan is virtually a mirror of mine from the 2003 thru so at least from my perspective ...I can tell you it will work.

I didn't have a drop at Fontana though. I stayed at the Hike Inn and got a shuttle into Robbinsville where there is a grocery store.

Pearisburg and Glencliff are good choices in terms of warm/cold gear and clothing swap locations. Or course the weather varies greatly from year to year so there are no guarantees. Only word of caution would be to hang on to a couple warmer garments until you're sure the cold nights have passed. On the other end, by time you reach Glencliff you will be very happy to have your warmer bag and clothes for sure.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM or e-mail mee off-line but otherwise I think you've got a solid plan.

Enjoy your hike ...

'Slogger

digger51
02-06-2006, 03:28
David, you sound like you have a good plan. I havent seen walisi Yi run out of food in the 6 years i have hiked through there. I might suggest carrying one extra day of food just in case of problems. Access to food is easy until you hit Hot Springs. that is the first place I had to carry mor than 3 or 4 days worth, but I like going to Gatlinburg so I carry less through the Smokies. I sent my winter stuff home from Damascus and had no problem with the cold. To make it easier on your resupplier you might print out mail drop addresses before you leave. I used an address program and printed 15 or so addresses per page and left them with my daughter to send mail drops. I listed all post offices and several of the major stopping places such as hostels and such. All I had to do then was call her and tell her which place to mail a package. Good luck with your hike and I hope to see you out there. I plan on leaving March 17 or 18.

Peaks
02-06-2006, 10:14
Baltimore Jack has good advice on resupply. As long as you read it, then you will be just fine.

Jaybird
02-06-2006, 10:51
[QUOTE=DavidNH]Hey folks!
I am going to be thru hiking North Bound (my first thru hike!) starting late march (3/21/06).
My current intention is to buy food mostly from stores en route and use mail drops no more than necessary. I will be starting off with 4 days of food..enough to get me from Amicolola Falls State park to Neels Gap.

You dont have to RE-INVENT the wheel...so to speak....take advice from one of the best authorities on the A.T.: "Baltimore Jack"

MAIL DROP LIST (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=89401&postcount=1)

just a suggestion!:D

good luck with yer hike!