PDA

View Full Version : Hall Mountain gun sight?

rdljr
10-09-2017, 09:53
Had this sign at Hall Mountain lean to and I could not find the gun sight, I did find a great view but no gun sight. I could not find any info in the AMC guide book. I was hoping someone could fill in my lack of knowledge. I do plan on a trip back in two weeks to further search if there is something to find.
Thanks

peakbagger
10-09-2017, 11:57
Its been years but there was very apparent split in the cliff. Here is link to am image. It looks east towards Moody and Elephant Mountain

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=S5ajGyZ%2b&id=F02C2B9C10E6E1105FBEC8E449F7477A21438280&thid=OIP.S5ajGyZ-Gr2c_YNAkjYglwC0Dv&q=hall+mountain+gun+sight&simid=607991874250345436&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Dave Field the Trail Lands Coordinator for Maine was heavily involved with the relocation and NPS purchase of the AT in Western Maine. I believe he was the one that located this feature and named it.

The northern AT boundary up from the Sawyer Notch is quite interesting, it skirts the edge of major cliff that the AT avoids. Unfortunately the landowner to the south and some local politics have blocked any access from the south via the old Sawyer River Road to Sawyer Notch (which is how I used to access my the boundary swaths rather then hiking up and over Moody Mtn)

By the way there is a summit canister on Hall mountain for some obscure list, its directly on the boundary swath.

rdljr
10-09-2017, 16:05
Thank you for the info, I was looking for an old gun sight , something from a crashed plane or old Canadian facing defensive outpost. I did find a opening like the one in the photo link. I think I will attempt to find the canister on the next trip.
Thanks

peakbagger
10-09-2017, 16:56
The canister is nothing special just a wide spot in stand of fir and spruce along the boundary swath. I think there is AT boundary tablet not that far away to the west.

I think there is another "gun site" type formation somewhere else in Maine possibly in the HMW. Not many folks routinely visit Hall Mtn or Moody except section and thru hikers. Its a pretty underutilized part of the AT in Maine. Sawyer Notch is the place where I first encountered stinging nettles in Maine. I had thought and been told previously they didnt grow that far north. Great campsite near the river with picnic table.