PDA

View Full Version : Daypack help?

JJ505
10-09-2017, 16:06
Hi,

This is my first post, so I hope you will be gentle. :D

I'm a day hiker, my day pack has been an Osprey Daylite, which I really like. However, I would like a pack for carrying a sleeping bag (probably down), food for a day/small stove and fuel, and change of clothes (minus pants), and jacket (possibly down). I'm planning on some trips where I would stay in huts and rustic cottages. The Daylite is too small for this (12 L?). I'm sure if I go to REI they would recommend a 45 L, which in my mind is too big. I would likely go with another Osprey, though I'm not too keen on the water bottle pockets, which are hard to reach while hiking.

Thanks in advance.

--Jay

pesphoto
10-09-2017, 16:15
check put the zpacks nero, i just used it on an overnite and it was great.

Large enough for a couple nites and some food, and the side pockets easily fit 1ltr smart water bottles

KDogg
10-09-2017, 16:16
I recommend looking at the Nero as well. It is expensive, however, but take a look at it anyway. It may give you some ideas. I thru hiked with the Arc Blast and was well served.

JJ505
10-09-2017, 16:31
The Nero is in my price range (okay a little over, but looks like a nice size). I'm sure it would get a lot of use, so it's one place I wouldn't mind spending the money, if it lasted.

Didn't say but I'm very short-- 5'1 ".

Bags4266
10-09-2017, 16:33
Gossamer murmur

nsherry61
10-09-2017, 16:41
1) Not all Osprey packs have the same side pocket design. Some are easier to get bottles out than others. Head to your local outfitter and try some out.
2) It sounds like you are looking to go fairly light weight. Some REI staff may recommend a 45 L bag, others may not. Some White Blaze forum members might recommend a 45 L bag, others may not.
3) An overnight or an overweek are both pretty much the same gear, just maybe another 10 L or so for food if you are going for a week. Some people need a 65 L pack for an overnight. I'm sure all the various long distance trails in North America have been hiked in their entirety by someone using a 35 L pack or smaller. The average on the AT and PCT are about 60 L. 60 L less 10 for food and 5 for a tent makes 45 L +/-, and that's based on folks that have their gear dialed over many months of hiking.
4) If you've been day hiking with a 12 L pack, you obviously aren't a hiking gear mule, and most of us would consider that a good thing. Don't worry so much about the pack size as how it carries the gear you want to carry. 45 L might seem to be a bit big for an overnight trip to a hut for some of us, although most of the hut-to-hut hikers I've seen along the AT in the White Mountains have been carrying significantly more gear than most of the AT hikers walking (tripping along) the same sections.
5) Having a couple extra liters of space isn't a bad thing as you don't have to work so hard compressing your puffy insulation (and other stuff) and if you ever decide to go out for a longer or more remote adventure, you might not have to buy yet another pack.

Slo-go'en
10-09-2017, 17:24
I use a 35L North Face pack for summer overnight hikes. (it's at least 8 years old now, so doubtless no longer available) I believe it was sold as a climbers pack, so it's fairly heavy duty. The total load might get to 15 pounds if I want to eat real well. The real limitation is how much food I can carry. 1.5 days is okay, 2.5 days would be pushing it. I'd want to go to 40L to have some more wiggle room if going for more then an overnight.

Maineiac64
10-09-2017, 18:00
How does the math work for pack size. Zpacks counts side pockets and mesh. Does everyone do it like that?

devoidapop
10-09-2017, 18:48
I like the Granite Gear Slacker Packer. it's just a 24L, waterproof roll top backpack. it's really light and comfortable.

DuneElliot
10-09-2017, 19:01
I just bought a new daypack...a Kelty 28 Ruckus with a roll top. It is really a little large for a daypack but I always carry a camp jacket and leave it loose.

It also has a hip belt with decent pockets and fits me fairly comfortably...it's a little short in the torso for me (I'm short but have a long torso) so would probably fit you well. I couldn't beat it for $69.

Check it out: https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Kelty-Ruckus-Roll-Top-28-Pack_10306432_10208_10000001_-1_?cm_mmc=PLA-_-GooglePlusBox-_-Kelty-_-Kelty-Ruckus-Roll-Top-28-Pack_GooglePlusBox&utm_source=GooglePlusBox&utm_medium=PLA&ad_id=GooglePlusBox&utm_campaign=Kelty-Ruckus-Roll-Top-28-Pack&scid=scplp2981056&sc_intid=2981056&adpos=1o2&ad_id=Google&kcid=e07d7d91-9d88-4b3e-99aa-6f2116efba6f&utm_medium=PPC&utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_campaign=SC%2BShopping%2B-%2BPromo%2B-%2BBrand%2BTerms&utm_term=&lsft=adtype:pla,channel:online&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvOzOBRDGARIsAICjxocR_FMO90ElbN71KQUn lsEqhWjbHN-QCV0hTbyY-XTVUv3XrXxR63waAo0gEALw_wcB

DuneElliot
10-09-2017, 19:06
From the Kelty website with reviews: https://www.kelty.com/ruckus-roll-top/

JJ505
10-09-2017, 19:38
Several very nice options. I like several of them (ZPacks, Gossamer-- though is kind of big, I think, they say 5'4", and Kelty). I like a Granite Gear pack but think another one is possibly better for me.

Would not carry to big a pack, because of the psychology of having the space so I would fill it. I think having a 12L pack (for the usual day hikes) has been good discipline. At my size, I don't need to be carrying that big a pack anyway. However, realistically it won't meet my needs for my upcoming trip. Still have time, and I will buy the sleeping bag and maybe jacket first, though probably have some jackets to test on.

devoidapop
10-09-2017, 19:58
I like the Granite Gear Slacker Packer. it's just a 24L, waterproof roll top backpack. it's really light and comfortable.

Slo-go'en
10-09-2017, 20:23
Sounds like your putting together this kit from scratch. Generally it's a good idea to see how much gear you need, then size the pack to the load. Do the huts and rustic cabins come equipped with things you don't have to carry in or do you need to be 100% self reliant? To be self reliant, you'll probably find you need a pack in the 40L ball park.

JJ505
10-09-2017, 21:48
Sounds like your putting together this kit from scratch. Generally it's a good idea to see how much gear you need, then size the pack to the load. Do the huts and rustic cabins come equipped with things you don't have to carry in or do you need to be 100% self reliant? To be self reliant, you'll probably find you need a pack in the 40L ball park.

Sometimes they have everything, and other times you need a sleeping bag and sometimes a towel.

KDogg
10-09-2017, 21:59
One point about the zpacks pack. It is waterproof! My thru hike was my first multi-day hike where it rained. Nope, I didn't do much hiking before then. I know everyone makes their "normal" pack work but having a waterproof pack was freakin' awesome. I never worried about the rain, ever. Just kept walking.

daddytwosticks
10-10-2017, 07:10
I just bought a new daypack...a Kelty 28 Ruckus with a roll top. It is really a little large for a daypack but I always carry a camp jacket and leave it loose.

It also has a hip belt with decent pockets and fits me fairly comfortably...it's a little short in the torso for me (I'm short but have a long torso) so would probably fit you well. I couldn't beat it for $69.

Check it out: https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Kelty-Ruckus-Roll-Top-28-Pack_10306432_10208_10000001_-1_?cm_mmc=PLA-_-GooglePlusBox-_-Kelty-_-Kelty-Ruckus-Roll-Top-28-Pack_GooglePlusBox&utm_source=GooglePlusBox&utm_medium=PLA&ad_id=GooglePlusBox&utm_campaign=Kelty-Ruckus-Roll-Top-28-Pack&scid=scplp2981056&sc_intid=2981056&adpos=1o2&ad_id=Google&kcid=e07d7d91-9d88-4b3e-99aa-6f2116efba6f&utm_medium=PPC&utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_campaign=SC%2BShopping%2B-%2BPromo%2B-%2BBrand%2BTerms&utm_term=&lsft=adtype:pla,channel:online&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvOzOBRDGARIsAICjxocR_FMO90ElbN71KQUn lsEqhWjbHN-QCV0hTbyY-XTVUv3XrXxR63waAo0gEALw_wcB

Nice pack! Good price too. :)

JJ505
10-10-2017, 15:31
One point about the zpacks pack. It is waterproof! My thru hike was my first multi-day hike where it rained. Nope, I didn't do much hiking before then. I know everyone makes their "normal" pack work but having a waterproof pack was freakin' awesome. I never worried about the rain, ever. Just kept walking.

Well since I am going to be on and around the AT, that'd be useful. I have gotten caught in the rain even here in NM.

chknfngrs
10-17-2017, 16:46
Not sure if Mountain Laurel Designs Core suits your fancy. 28L, huge for a daypack. It is a great weekend bag for light packers. Wicked techy but also so simple.

$85 to boot

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/core-28l/

Uncle Joe
10-17-2017, 17:16
I have an Osprey Talon 21 that works well. It's actually way big for a daypack but you could overnight in it.

D2maine
10-17-2017, 19:02
marmot has a couple worth checking out in the kompressor line of daypacks

i have used the old design kompressor plus for 4 years now and love it as a simple 20l day pack. there is also the kompressor ultra @ 22l and the kompressor star 28l

http://www.marmot.com/equipment-packs-and-haulers-day-packs/

SwathHiker
10-17-2017, 22:00
ULA Ohm or Circuit. Yes everyone counts the total volume so a 50l pack may only be a manageable 40 and some pockets. And the 40 may be a 33 with another 7 in the fully extended collar like with a Circuit or a Z packs scout which at least has a frame. but you then need to pay for a lumbar pad and belt pockets so the price climbs. so look at the Circuit which is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Zone
10-17-2017, 23:08
Head to your local outfitter and try some out.
4) If you've been day hiking with a 12 L pack, you obviously aren't a hiking gear mule,
5) Having a couple extra liters of space isn't a bad thing as you don't have to work so hard compressing your puffy insulation (and other stuff) and if you ever decide to go out for a longer or more remote adventure, you might not have to buy yet another pack.

I'd echo what nsherry61 said about going to try some out. IIRC, I've seen other posts on WB that spoke of people literally bringing their gear (minus the pack) to REI and testing out how it packs in various packs. Even if you go with a cottage maker, doing so might give you some guidance regarding pack volume needed. You didn't mention how much space your down goodies take up - you can measure them and get out your geometry equations to figure that out.

FWIW, here's a bit of my experience with daypacks. At the one extreme, I got an LLB Bigelow some years back. Won some award from Outside Magazine or some such. In the large, it was 39L. It's bomb-proof, and heavy for its capacity: just under 67 oz. I am not kidding ... 1.7 oz per L of capacity. But you know what? It carries exceptionally well (excellent internal frame), there's a ton of useful features (incl. several exterior lashing points), and at 39L, its extra weight is not going to break me. Esp. since it carries so comfortably. That said, it's volume alone is overkill for many dayhiking conditions. I typically use it for winter dayhiking and overnights when I'm carrying minimalist gear.

At the other extreme, I recently snapped up LLB's Stowaway pack ... 22L, 14oz, for 0.64 oz per L capacity. (REI has similar, I think Flash 22). For warm weather dayhikes, it is more than sufficient for the essentials plus water - even if you carry have 2L of water. Or more ... there's still room inside. Of course, the material is thinner, it does not have any internal frame, so it doesn't arch off your back like others. Set bag down, it flops over. No structure to it, unless what you pack in there gives it some.It doesn't have a hip belt, just a strap to go around your waist (on me, the strap goes up fairly high on me ... it's a small pack!). But very little weight transfer to my hips/legs. Very little padding in shoulder straps, though they do have good width. So even though it's vastly lighter, it doesn't feel that much lighter, at least not on my shoulders.

In between, I have a bunch of old backpacks my kids used for school, from The North Face (Jester ... 27L, 28oz), Nike (probably similar capacity to TNF one; 23.5 oz),and Bean (Deluxe ... 32L, 21oz). They're all fine as well. Since they're designed to carry several heavy books at once, they're made of far more rugged-feeling material than the Stowaway. The TNF and Nike have two water bottle pockets each; all have a fairly thick padded back panel, but none have an internal frame that arches for back ventilation, nor a hip belt that really transfers weight off your shoulders. Anyway, if you just want to dayhike, they'll do the job too. They're ready to serve as loaners for newbies.

As nsherry61 noted, if you're getting by with 12L now, a sub-1lb 22L pack may seem huge by comparison! But bring your gear and test whether it fits. A common recommendation is to buy your pack last, and that strikes me as very good advice. (but that said, your gear may continue to evolve, so you might want to try to anticipate what direction it'll evolve in; often, smaller and lighter is the case).

Final thought - to state the obvious, a pack of X liter capacity that has lashing points gives you more flexibility to carry more when necessary, yet not burden you with a larger, heavier pack when that extra capacity is not necessary. Of my daypacks, the Jester has some laced shockcord, the Stowaway has a small shove-it pocket that has some compression straps going to it that could, in theory be useful. I think the stuff would have to be pretty small and light. But it's the Bigelow that can really "take it" in terms of cinching down extra stuff that might be big and more than a pound (e.g., Ridgerest CCF).

hope this helps.

devoidapop
10-18-2017, 10:36
https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/manta-ag-28-MANTA28.html

I saw one of these today and thought of this thread. I have an Atmos and love the suspended mesh. 28L might be a bit too much for day hikes but they have a 20L size as well. 2.6lbs is probably not ideal but if it carries well it could be more comfortable than some of the ultralight options.

Time Zone
10-18-2017, 12:24

I saw one of these today and thought of this thread. I have an Atmos and love the suspended mesh. 28L might be a bit too much for day hikes but they have a 20L size as well. 2.6lbs is probably not ideal but if it carries well it could be more comfortable than some of the ultralight options.

Looks like the 2.6 lbs is for the 26L pack; that's 1.6 oz/L. Only a shade lighter (per L) than my Bigelow. The 28L weighs 2.69 lbs and that works out to be 1.5 oz/L, approx. Both strike me as pretty high for daypacks. But there's no free lunch ... if you want a good hipbelt (not a strap); heavier, durable fabric; padded shoulder straps; lashing points, rain cover; a good frame to allow airflow between your back and the pack, hydration sleeve and tube opening, compression straps, alternative zips to access the pack interior (other than top loading only), etc etc, all that adds weight. Do I need all of that? No. Do I like most of those features? Yes, most (but not all of them - I don't use hydration sleeves). On balance it's worth it to me, for now.

JJ505
10-18-2017, 18:31

i have used the old design kompressor plus for 4 years now and love it as a simple 20l day pack. there is also the kompressor ultra @ 22l and the kompressor star 28l

I have been looking at this, not "in person" yet. Looks good, but of course I haven't seen if this will fit very well.

I would not get one online due to my size, I am very short (5'1"). Not even sure if I would fit in a men's pack or women's. Not shaped like a gal but my torso is no doubt short. I'm going to REI and check out, though going to wait til my stuff comes in to buy. (I ordered a sleeping bag and a few other things). Also looking at some of the UL dealers, there is not really organization. Not sure I'm that UL. However, I really appreciate all the great comments. One other thing, REI still has a great warranty, and being able to take things back by going into the store is a big plus for me.

BTW, don't like the whole hydration bladder thing. They taste like plastic to me. So nice side pockets you can get to while walking is a big plus for me.

Traveler
10-19-2017, 06:48

FWIW I use a Manta28 for day hikes in cold weather when I want to bring a bit more gear with me. In warmer months I have an Osprey Daylite (16 oz) that works pretty well for what I need and carries well even if a little overloaded. I have been out for a night with both packs, though the Daylite is pushing it in terms of loading.

CassSarahSilvius
10-19-2017, 07:08
I was also considering a MLD burn but ended up going with a camelback hawg... not gonna win any awards for being super light but for a day bag it's pretty bulletproof(and the 3L water reservoir doesn't take up any pack space) I carried a camelback mule in Iraq and it saw seriously heavy use and that was 11 years ago and it is still kicking... sun bleached but kicking none the less. I can't complain about any of there products.

Berserker
10-19-2017, 10:23

+1 on the Kompressor. I have one of these I use for day hikes, and I also did a 3 day hut to hut hike in the Whites last August with it.

Turk6177
10-19-2017, 17:54
ULA fastpack or their new Photon. http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/photon.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk