PDA

View Full Version : New "sales method" from REI

oldwetherman
10-10-2017, 21:33
https://gearjunkie.com/rei-discount-used-gear-online

Venchka
10-10-2017, 22:18
https://gearjunkie.com/rei-discount-used-gear-online

That makes a whole lot more sense than the local garage sales.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
10-10-2017, 22:24
I'm not very impressed with some of the discounts. When you figure you already get 10% rebates (on full price merchandise), as little as a 15% discount isn't much of an extra discount for 'as-is' gear with only a 30 day return policy compared to the usual 1 year return policy.

BTW: A quick review of the gear section show the average discount is about 25%.

Starchild
10-10-2017, 22:26
Agreed, I hope this works well, REI is a solid part of hiking gear.

SkeeterPee
10-10-2017, 22:38
I'm not very impressed with some of the discounts. When you figure you already get 10% rebates (on full price merchandise), as little as a 15% discount isn't much of an extra discount for 'as-is' gear with only a 30 day return policy compared to the usual 1 year return policy.

BTW: A quick review of the gear section show the average discount is about 25%.

I had the same thought when I bought something there on 25% off sale. It really is a 15% off sale since you lose the 10% member discount.

Bobby
10-11-2017, 10:53
big flaw that I see, or should say DON'T see -is a pic of the actual item. They are using stock pics - buyers need to see what they are actually getting if it's used. My guess is buyers will be disappointed when they item arrives and the condition doesn't match the pic - regardless of whatever disclaimer they use

DrL
10-11-2017, 12:32

BTW: A quick review of the gear section show the average discount is about 25%.Agreed. Most items are probably "like new", but this doesn't strike me as a low cost way of getting into camping/backpacking. Plus most of the listed items are total nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JJ505
10-12-2017, 17:46
Agreed. Most items are probably "like new", but this doesn't strike me as a low cost way of getting into camping/backpacking. Plus most of the listed items are total nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Me either. I didn't think there were any good deals at all (just bought something from the online Garage which *was*
a good deal). I always liked the live garage sales. You have to get there early to get good deals but I have had gotten 2-3 amazing deals (i.e. an REI jacket with a small tear for $15).

MuddyWaters
10-12-2017, 20:37
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if the intent of the garage sale is to get you into the store, whereby you then buy other crap in addtion to your used "bargain"

nsherry61
10-13-2017, 12:44
I don't think this is in place of the local Garage Sales, I think it is supplemental to them.
I agree that the prices didn't seem overly amazing, but they seemed to me closer to 50% than 25% off on average.
As for pictures, I suspect that is what the 30-day return policy is for. Can you imagine the extra cost of having to take usable pictures of all the used gear before posting it online for sale. Since the items are ones they already sell, they already have pictures and product information for them online, so using that, I'm sure, saves a lot of time.

HooKooDooKu
10-13-2017, 13:43
I agree that the prices didn't seem overly amazing, but they seemed to me closer to 50% than 25% off on average.
What stuff were you looking at that you saw a 50% off on average?

I specifically looked at camping gear (tents, back packs, etc), the ballpark average was 25%. Many items were only 20%, some items as much as 35%. Don't think I saw a single item that was 50%.

nsherry61
10-13-2017, 15:31
. . . the ballpark average was 25%. Many items were only 20%, some items as much as 35%. Don't think I saw a single item that was 50%.
Wow, goes to show how good my memory isn't. I could have sworn that it was averaging around 50% off when I first looked at it when it went live, I think day before yesterday. It sure a heck isn't averaging anywhere near 50% off looking over it now. I hope the stuff they're listing is nearly new at those prices and not the range of barely used to nearly used up found at their local garage sales.