PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Nemo Hornet 1P tent

Runner2017
10-11-2017, 09:35
Zpacks Duplex is nice but not its price. Tarp is great for dry climate but probably not so great for the AT. I'm considering Nemo Hornet 1P one person tent for the coming thru-hike. It's semi-freestanding and weighs about 2 lb. Anyone has used it extensively? If so, please share your experience and thoughts. Thank you.

Patrickjd9
10-11-2017, 11:35
Looking for a one-person tent in this weight range as well. Have not been comfortable with a single wall tent.

MisterMoon
10-11-2017, 11:51
I've got a 2P, which is really a 1.4P IMO. Weighed it on my scale at 1060 grams = 2.34 lbs with included stakes, all stuff sacks and cut all the tags out. I think the extra room of the 2P is worth the extra weight. Only one night in the rain so far, but kept me dry. It really is too early to tell if it's going to be great over the long term, though.

My biggest criticism is that you can't set up just the fly without the tent body. It would be challenging to get it up during a heavy downpour without the body getting soaked before you got the fly on.

But that being said, I like it pretty well so far.

MisterMoon
10-11-2017, 11:52
I've got a 2P, which is really a 1.4P IMO. Weighed it on my scale at 1060 grams = 2.34 lbs with included stakes, all stuff sacks and cut all the tags out. I think the extra room of the 2P is worth the extra weight. Only one night in the rain so far, but kept me dry. It really is too early to tell if it's going to be great over the long term, though.

My biggest criticism is that you can't set up just the fly without the tent body. It would be challenging to get it up during a heavy downpour without the body getting soaked before you got the fly on.

But that being said, I like it pretty well so far.

Heliotrope
10-11-2017, 19:24
I have a hornet 2P which I purchased for trips with my gf. It fits us very well. Setting up is very easy. I would consider the 1P for solo trips but I prefer my RayWay tarp and inner tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shot
10-11-2017, 19:47
I cannot speak to that model but I have a Nemo dagger 3P at around 4lbs. I love that tent. My wife and I also own and carry a TT Double Rainbow when we want a lighter tent to carry. Our Nemo survived gale force winds near Ben Nevis mountain in Scotland. I also have a Nemo sleeping pad which I love. That company is a bit under the radar but provide high quality and good value. Not ultralight but bullet proof while not being heavy.Which is in my sweet spot given the myriad of conditions and terrain that we encounter. my $.02.

capehiker
10-11-2017, 20:33
I have owned the 1P and 2P Hornets. The 1P along with lighter stakes weighed 29oz all in. The tent itself is sturdy and the side entry is nice. The 1P isn't as claustrophobic as its counterpart, the Big Agnes Fly Creek. I upgraded to the 2P and was underwhelmed with the lack of extra room. The 1P would've suited me just fine.

Here's where I didn't like it and why I no longer use it. If you look at pictures of the head end, it is essentially a single walled tent. This means condensation buildup and wetting through in heavy rains. Further, the fly doesn't go down very far at the head and in windy rains, rain spray will enter though the tent. I'm not normally a ground sheet guy but I recommend one with the Hornet. The floor fabric is weak and will wet through in sustained rains.

There are plenty of people who have had no problems with the tent in the rain and for a while I was one. However, after several consecutive days of all kinds of rain, my opinion changed on the quality of this tent.

As always, just my $0.02

Runner2017
10-13-2017, 23:13
I have owned the 1P and 2P Hornets. The 1P along with lighter stakes weighed 29oz all in. The tent itself is sturdy and the side entry is nice. The 1P isn't as claustrophobic as its counterpart, the Big Agnes Fly Creek. I upgraded to the 2P and was underwhelmed with the lack of extra room. The 1P would've suited me just fine.

Here's where I didn't like it and why I no longer use it. If you look at pictures of the head end, it is essentially a single walled tent. This means condensation buildup and wetting through in heavy rains. Further, the fly doesn't go down very far at the head and in windy rains, rain spray will enter though the tent. I'm not normally a ground sheet guy but I recommend one with the Hornet. The floor fabric is weak and will wet through in sustained rains.

There are plenty of people who have had no problems with the tent in the rain and for a while I was one. However, after several consecutive days of all kinds of rain, my opinion changed on the quality of this tent.

As always, just my $0.02Another thing I just found out is 1P requires ten stakes to be fully prepared for storms but it only comes with six stakes, which means I need to add more oz to its claimed weight.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk