PDA

View Full Version : Newer than Newbie

MomA2Z
10-11-2017, 11:12
I have been wanting to do a hike for a while. Other than hiking maybe a mile around in local parks I have no experience, no gear etc. So I am starting from scratch. My plan is to do a section of the APT in North Carolina. Maybe a 3-4 day hike and if that goes well I would like do something longer. What advice would you give to a newer than newbie?

Starchild
10-11-2017, 11:46
Look up local hiking clubs and meetup groups and look for a beginner backpack. You can learn a lot from other backpackers and they should make sure you are prepared.

Spirit Walker
10-11-2017, 11:50
Start with dayhikes. Gradually increase the length of your hikes. When you can hike 12 miles or so, go on an overnight hike with an experienced hiker or group. Go about half the distance each day that you can dayhike, because the weight of a pack makes a big difference. Take your time buying gear. Rent or borrow a pack, tent, sleeping bag etc. if you can so you have some idea what you need/want. You don't want to spend a lot of money for an activity you may not want to continue.

PS - it's the AT, not the APT.

Back on the trail
10-11-2017, 12:00
First and foremost never forget to hike at your own speed and YOU are going out to enjoy YOURSELF so nothing else matters. GO and do what you are comfortable doing push yourself go outside the comfort zone but when the little voice says NO listen to it. The better shape you get yourself in the more enjoyable your longer hikes will be. You live in a great place - Find an outfitter that can measure you for the correct size pack. An ill fitting pack will be your worst nightmare. BUY some used gear. People here have great stuff they are getting rid of. Tent's, cook kits, stoves, hiking poles. ect. Find a great pair of Trail running shoes or boots which ever you are comfortable with. It will take a couple pairs to find the right fit. When you find that right pair BUY MANY. As for gear - every person has there options. Me I made list after list - found were price and weight and opinions met and bought- used if I could. again for me buy lite. It's easy to carry 25 lbs not easy to carry 40 lbs.

Slo-go'en
10-11-2017, 12:14
First, wait until next spring. I know it's unseasonably warm in NC right now, but that will change shortly. By the time you get enough gear for a trip, it will be too cold.

Start looking for deals now. You really don't need much to spend a few overnights on the AT in the late spring or summer when the weather is good. That will keep the pack weight down even if you start out with fairly inexpensive gear.

MuddyWaters
10-11-2017, 13:11
I have been wanting to do a hike for a while. Other than hiking maybe a mile around in local parks I have no experience, no gear etc. So I am starting from scratch. My plan is to do a section of the APT in North Carolina. Maybe a 3-4 day hike and if that goes well I would like do something longer. What advice would you give to a newer than newbie?

Get cheap or borrowed gear
Do an overnight 15 mile hike, easy terrain
Then next a 3 day 30 mile hike, typical AT

Still having fun? Go buy some gear. Now youll have some idea what you want.

Target gear wt, ( base pack wt) under 15 lbs . People here will help.

Be prepared to spend a sizeable amt of $. Light equpment
Isnt cheap. Probably closer to $1500 than $500.

Get the real lightwt bug? How deep are pockets?

If you stick with it, it WILL cost more $ to buy gear twice, than $$$$ gear once.
Have at it

Uncle Joe
10-11-2017, 13:17
IMO, you can't go wrong with working the area around Standing Indian Campground. From there you can take blue-blazed trails up to the AT and make loops to bring you back to the campground. Get some gear and test it out. You can always camp at the campground and get some day hikes up to and along the AT then hike back down to the campground. When you are ready for an overnight, you can park at the backcountry kiosk next to the campground and do an overnight. But you're close enough to get back to your vehicle should you want/need to.

DrL
10-11-2017, 15:26
Start walking! Trail, street, or sidewalk. I walk as much as I can. Sunday mornings I walk 8 miles round trip for my morning coffee. Great way to clear the mind.

Analog_Kidd
10-11-2017, 18:13
Find an experienced friend with extra gear and ask them to take you on an easy overnighter. You'll gain a lot of experience from that one trip, and you'll see if you really want to do three nights.

Seawoods
10-12-2017, 21:54
Good advice here. I'm fairly new also, and if I were starting over again, hereis what I would do. First, I would do some day hikes in themountains. Think hikes of 4-6 miles without and then with a pack. Itis really important to get your footwear sorted out before you go on anymultiday effort. I need a fairly stiff sole with a rock guard to keep myfeet from bruising on rocks. And you need to find out how to avoidblisters. Generally, trial runners won't do it for me and I use moresubstantial footwear. Remember, most of the people on this board are veryexperienced and super strong hikers. Also, it is hard to find experiencedhikers who will go as slow as I do and if I try to compete with other hikers my feet will be sorry. Then I would arrange a series of longer day trips (slackpacking) where you don't carry a large pack, take a shower each night andgo about 8 -10 miles a few days in a row. There are hostels and shuttle providers who canhelp you with this. Then, go for a 3 day hike, such as the StandingIndian Loop. During this whole time, I would not plan on one inch morethan 10 miles in any day. Less would be better. For me, theStanding Indian Loop was challenging. I would try hard to get my equipment sortedout before I had to carry it on a multiple night trip. You can buy or borrow used equipment until you find out what you need. First, it is amazing howlittle food you need, I hardly ever carry a stove and don't want much food at all when I'm hiking. My last hike I took two 16 oz containers of trail mix for three days and had most of one uneaten at the end of the 3rd day. As to equipment: 1. I'd find a cheap used tent, like a eureka solitaire, and then plan to sleep in the shelters using the tent only occasionally. 2. I'd get or borrow a 20 or 30 degree down sleeping bag with the understanding that the bag will be good to about 10 degrees over the stated temp. 3. I'd get a thick inflatable pad but no more than 1 pound. Or, if you want to economize on the pad, then get a thinner 3/4 length inflatable pad and put it on top of a full length blue closed cell foam pad from Walmart. That is pretty comfortable together and you can buy a used 3/4 length thermarest pad pretty cheap on ebay. 4. Finding a pack that suits takes some experimenting. I don't know any way around it. You don't want the weight on your shoulders. I'd suggest a backpack that has less volume so that you can't take too much gear. By the time you get to the top of Standing Indian Mountain you will wish to have carried less gear.

orthofingers
10-12-2017, 22:31
Maybe a 3-4 day hike

You want to try a 3-4 day hike and sleep out while on the trail?

If so, you're really talking about two separate but related activities . . . Hiking and camping out.
The hiking part has been covered pretty well . . . don't try to go crazy fast, find footwear you like, try to keep your pack weight down. The camping out part is a bit tougher because you have so many choices. Remember that the more stuff you bring to make yourself comfortable in camp, the more uncomfortable you'll be carrying it all on your back on the trail.

Whatever you choose for camp; tent vs tarp vs hammock, quilt vs sleeping bag, cooking pot vs freezer bag cooking vs stoveless, I'd suggest you try it out on some overnights in the backyard where there are more bailout options.

Rain Man
10-12-2017, 23:23
What is the APT?

Venchka
10-12-2017, 23:45
Welcome to the Madness.
While you’re walking here, there and everywhere, get your hands on The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. Editions I, II or III. Do not go looking for the equipment that is in those books. Focus on the philosophy and the on trail day to day routine of backpacking.
Do pay attention to Fletcher’s explanation for sleeping gear selection. He says more in a few sentences than you’ll ever get online.
Get going and have fun!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
10-12-2017, 23:51
PS:
I have tried to get several friends to go backpacking with me. They were all in much better shape than me.
The first question they ask: “How will I take a shower in the morning?”
When I stopped laughing, they didn’t want to go backpacking.
Find out early which person you are.
Good luck! It’s great out there beyond electricity.
Wayne

rafe
10-13-2017, 10:17
The learning curve will be more enjoyable if you can find others to hike with on those first few hikes. Learn by doing, by observing, asking questions, taking careful risks. The people you hook up with may also help you with gear to borrow or buy for cheap - we all have gear to hand down. Lots of good resources online, or pick up a good book, like "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher.

Greenlight
10-13-2017, 11:08
I agree wholeheartedly. Walk whatever you have around you. PReferably in nature setting. Bike paths, trails, sidewalks. Walking is the beginning of a healthy lifestyle and at the end of the day it all comes back to walking. You're a human being, you should enjoy it - it is what we were meant to do with our bodies! I'd offer this alternative point of view, too. Maybe try some car camping to see if you like that aspect of it. Find local people who enjoy it and are willing to teach. There are hundreds of FB groups, if you're into that. Here is a great place to ask for advice. Find what you like. Find what you need to learn and learn it. Take every chance you can to put in a little 2 to 5 miler in the woods around where you live.

nsherry61
10-13-2017, 12:13
. . . Be prepared to spend a sizeable amt of $. Light equpment
Isnt cheap. Probably closer to $1500 than $500. . .
Muddy Waters started out with what I thought was good advice until the above statement

I disagree heartily!

I own 10's of 1000's of $$$ in gear. . . please don't remind my wife. I love lots of it and much of it is great stuff.

BUT, getting to less than 15 lb base weight on under $500 in gear is very easy to do. Getting there for under $300 is doable if you start off planning trips for the months of May - Sept, are willing to spend time learning skills, are lucky enough to already own some modicum of clothing that is not cotton, and are willing to check out some local thrift stores for some things.

Then, once you've got workable and affordable gear, save up for the key pieces of gear that allow you to push into the shoulder seasons or a few more luxuries that you have decided are important to you.

Much of your gear can be used in general living, so the cost isn't even a backpacking cost so much as a new pair of pants and underwear that you can use in daily living, but is different material than the cloths you habitually buy. So, such gear maybe doesn't even quite count as backpacking expenses, just redirected living expenses that you would be spending anyway.

Is it time to start yet another dirtbagging ideas and skills thread?

Most importantly, go out and have fun in a determined and persistent way.

Venchka
10-13-2017, 12:25
The learning curve will be more enjoyable if you can find others to hike with on those first few hikes. Learn by doing, by observing, asking questions, taking careful risks. The people you hook up with may also help you with gear to borrow or buy for cheap - we all have gear to hand down. Lots of good resources online, or pick up a good book, like "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher.

I’m not alone on “The Complete Walker”.
Wayne

Venchka
10-13-2017, 12:41
Backpacking Fabrics 101:
Shun cotton.
Silk, wool and synthetic fabrics are your friends.
Personal examples:
September in the Colorado and Wyoming Rockies. Low temperature to mid-20s.
Hiking -
Lightweight long sleeve knit synthetic shirt under ventilated long sleeve polyester fishing shirt.
Nylon long pants.
Darn Tough ankle high wool running socks.
Very wide brim nylon hat.
Sleeping. Packed in plastic bags and never allowed to get wet.
Midweight long sleeve knit synthetic shirt.
Lightweight synthetic longjohns.
Nylon running shorts.
Wool socks, fleece pullover, gloves and hat if needed.
That’s my clothing list.
Wayne

Venchka
10-13-2017, 13:36
ADDENDUM:
Oops! I forgot my down vest which was replaced by my new Christmas present yesterday:
The Bangledeshi Un-puffy Non-hoody down sweater.
Wayne

DrL
10-13-2017, 14:07
I’m not alone on “The Complete Walker”.
Wayne

Read the intro "Why Walk?" online. Looks like good stuff. I put in a request with the library.

Venchka
10-13-2017, 14:13
Inter library loan. Of course. If they still do that. Or buy used.
Whatever it takes.
Wayne

Tipi Walter
10-13-2017, 14:26
For a total newbie I'd recommend a trip to your nearest backpacking store and start talking to the clerks. I know, some are clueless but some aren't.

The first thing I would purchase is a sleeping mattress of some sort, either a walmart blue pad or Thermarest inflatable like Prolite or NeoAir.

Then I would start sleeping outside every night in your backyard or back deck---and get used to sleeping on these backpacking pads. Just throw some blankets or quilts you already have over you for warmth---

It takes a good while to really get used to sleeping on the ground. Keep doing this until you decide you either really love sleeping outside or you hate it. If hated you just saved a bunch of money on gear.

Walking a bunch is really a poor way to prepare for backpacking unless you hike with a training pack of about 40 lbs. This weight will mimic what it feels like to drag into camp after 8 hours of hiking. And then fiddling with gear to set up camp, eat and sleep. Most Americans walk but few camp---so the need for a bunch of bag nights in the yard/porch/deck by the house.

DrL
10-13-2017, 14:26
Yeah, they still do that.

martinb
10-13-2017, 14:43
OP, have you camped before? In a tent? Might want to try that on for size before thinking about 3-4 day trips. Do some research about sleeping gear because having a comfortable sleeping arrangement will be a big factor in whether you want to go further.

nsherry61
10-13-2017, 15:18
. . .The first thing I would purchase is a sleeping mattress of some sort, either a walmart blue pad or Thermarest inflatable like Prolite or NeoAir.
Then I would start sleeping outside every night in your backyard or back deck---and get used to sleeping on these backpacking pads. Just throw some blankets or quilts you already have over you for warmth--- . . .

And, if you want to take it a step further with affordable and versatile gear, after finding your sleeping pad:
1) Go buy (or find in your closet) an 8 x 10 blue (or other color of your choice) polyethylene tarp from your local hardware or outdoor store, probably about $9.99.
2) Also from your closet or a local hardware store or outfitter or craft store, pick up, 50 ft of paracord, color of your choice, to make guy lines, about $5
3) Also from your closet or a local office supply or hardware store, pick up a dozen or so rubber bands, about 1/4 or 3/8 wide for guy-line shock-absorbers so your cheap tarp will work and not self-destruct even in heavy winds, about $3.
4) For stakes, you can use aluminum gutter spikes from your local building supply store (these actually work really well!), or stop by your local outfitter and pick up some cheap aluminum tent stakes for about $1 each, about $8 total.
5) If you don't have a puffy light quilt from your bed, or you just want an alternative, Ikea sells their Tilkort 100% polyester comforter in twin size for $14.99 which makes a fantastic 2 lb sleeping quilt, probably equivalent to about a 30 or 40 degree sleeping bag, but more comfortable.
6) For a ground sheet, if you don't have an old plastic shower curtain or table cloth laying around, you can buy some cheap plastic sheet (window shrink film (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-17-5-ft-Clear-Polyethylene-Window-Weatherstrip/3799417?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-WeatherstripSoftGoods-_-3799417:Frost_King&CAWELAID=&kpid=3799417&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1758&k_clickID=32c6bc07-2f00-8409-8319-00006f3ee499&gclid=CjwKCAjwyIHPBRAIEiwAHPS-GHWhVYDJRiXaVS-JpSHESGxWI61jJhC0DwlUTJB7L4TvjogZyCgzWxoCP50QAvD_B wE) cut to size is super popular for its toughness to weight ratio) from the local hardware or home-improvement store, about $8.

Total shelter and sleep system ~ 4-5 lbs.

Then, stop by Sgt Rock's tarp pitching page (http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html) and read some great, simple, basic tarping instructions - pick one or two pitches to play with, and go for it in your back yard, or a local park, or wherever you can find space.

Finally, and most importantly, go do it, however you choose, and have fun!

Crossup
10-13-2017, 16:59
As a one trip newb, I'd add to the mix of good advice already given that while it may seem like a small step to go from overnighting to 3-4 days on the trail, it may be a bigger one than you anticipate. I wont bore you with the details but after a bit of car camping followed by the purchase of a travel trailer and tow vehicle I came to the crossroads...do I merely like being in the woods(and maybe hiking(I'm actually a mountain biker, first)) or do I truly desire the whole experience of LD hiking? I'm not getting any younger so rather than let father time make that decision for me, I decided to do a week section in southern PA. After finalizing my gear, doing daily hour long test hikes in the 'hood with full pack and generally being ready there was the wait to the appointed weekend...during which time I had the unfortunate epiphany that once I stepped out of the car at the trail head "IT" was real and while certainly not even as risky as my 20 years of racing motocross, you'd better not be having second thoughts and doubts at that point. Which raised the question, how do you know if you're up to the task and nearly as important, will enjoy the journey? As has been pointed out, do that in steps/increments. And if truth be told after a week on the trail with ZERO problems, I'm still not sure if I want to pursuit this seriously or just be happy I had a good time and can say I know what its like to do it. In my case I know a bit of my motivation came from not wanting to wake up one day and realize I missed trying something many say is life changing(for me I spent so much time paying attention to the trail etc I did NO real soul searching or deep thinking, so maybe my life has yet to be changed :D) Good luck

rafe
10-13-2017, 17:18
Keep a diary of each hike (and take lots of photos.) If your memory's good, write it when you get home. Either way, just do it. You won't regret it. Then end each trip report with a short summary of what went well, and what didn't.

Make appropriate adjustments for your next hike. Rinse and repeat.

Develop a standard inventory / packing list. Picture yourself at the starting trailhead. What will you need? You needn't carry every item on every hike, that's not the point. The point is to consider each item and to know what's in your pack when you set off. You'll never arrive at a distant trailhead missing some critical item.

(I made similar lists for sailing, skiing, road camping, etc. -- outdoor activities that involved gear and long drives beforehand.)

Gambit McCrae
10-13-2017, 19:20
Get cheap or borrowed gear
Do an overnight 15 mile hike, easy terrain
Then next a 3 day 30 mile hike, typical AT

Still having fun? Go buy some gear. Now youll have some idea what you want.

Target gear wt, ( base pack wt) under 15 lbs . People here will help.

Be prepared to spend a sizeable amt of $. Light equpment
Isnt cheap. Probably closer to $1500 than $500.

Get the real lightwt bug? How deep are pockets?

If you stick with it, it WILL cost more $ to buy gear twice, than $$$$ gear once.gHave at it

well said. I would say this, barrow gear and keep in mind that if the reason your not having fun is the gear/ weight that that can be revised when buying your own gear.

I would also encourage you to find the scope of what you want to get out of your hikes; if it is short miles, peace and & solitude then expensive lightweight gear may not be a requirement.

If you find a love for walking as many miles as you can in a day then pricey lightweight gear is a requirement.

keep in mind that when buying gear there is a triangle for products 3 words. Cost, weight and durability. Think about that a little bit, its hard to get all three, easy to get 2 in a product.

Trails to test your new passion out on near you: Foothills Trail, Art Loeb Trail, AT, MST, Benton McKaye Trail, The Smokies, Pisgah

Companies you can buy gear from and KNOW your getting a good product?
ULA, Zpacks, Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Enlightened Equipment, komperdell, Leki, OR, Big Agnes, Hilleberg, Exped, Sawyer filters. NOTE: there are many other quality companies not mentioned these are just the companies i like to buy from.

George
10-14-2017, 05:28
Oh, come on - you all are making it way to complicated, how about:

Loaf of Bread, Pound of Tea (https://loafofbreadpoundoftea.wordpress.com/)“Who has not felt the urge to throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." -John Muir

and he got a nice trail named after him

jjozgrunt
10-14-2017, 06:43
ADDENDUM:
Oops! I forgot my down vest which was replaced by my new Christmas present yesterday:
The Bangledeshi Un-puffy Non-hoody down sweater.

Brand? Where from?

jjozgrunt
10-14-2017, 06:47
I'd like to add a stage between day walks and overnight walks. Here we call them basecamps. Go somewhere where there are a number of trails, set up camp like you would on a through or car camp and walk a number of days in a row with a reasonable amount of weight. Eat meals like you would on a multi day through etc.

We just find that is a good progression for new bushwalkers. Some will stop at that stage realizing that multi day walks won't be for them.

Venchka
10-14-2017, 15:00
Brand? Where from?
L. L. Bean.
Wayne

Turk6177
10-14-2017, 17:50
I would suggest you read Andrew Skurka’s book The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide. That will help you pick out gear and understand “systems.” https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Ultimate_Hiker_s_Gear_Guide.html?id=sm-FX8hXDMwC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button