PDA

View Full Version : How To Hike The A.T. Video

yogi clyde
02-04-2003, 17:21
The ATC has this video for sale.
Is it worth it?

Lone Wolf
02-04-2003, 17:29
I say no. There is no certain way to hike the AT. Discover it on your own terms. That's the adventure of it.

yogi clyde
02-04-2003, 17:51
I was just wondering if it had any useful information, like this website has supplied.

Lone Wolf
02-04-2003, 18:17
I think the AT today is suffering from information overload. When I did my first thru-hike there was no internet, no videos and very few books on the AT. I wrote the ATC and they sent me a "thru-hiker packet." In it was a list of former hikers, about 20 on the list, with phone numbers to call and ask them questions about a thru-hike. I didn't call anyone. I just decided to wing it and learn as I went. It worked for me. Everyday was discovery. Hikers today know the trail inside out before they even take a step on it. But I won't dissuade you from getting a video. I'm just from the old school. "Trail Magic" is a good video. It chronicles the 1990 thru-hikers.

Blue Jay
02-05-2003, 08:37
Actually, Lone Wolf and I agree on a great many things and this is one of them. Most of the information you get before you hike the Trail works for someone else, but will not work for you. No one should worry, as long as you don't load yourself down like a pack mule and bring along enough food that you don't starve, you'll know all you need to know before you get out of Georgia.

Blue Jay
02-05-2003, 08:40
After reading that back it sounded like I'm telling you to starve. Sorry, I'm not awake yet. Bring enough food and you'll be OK.

chill out
02-05-2003, 11:31
yogi.......absorb as much info as you can from everywhere you can and then do some practice hikes of a weeks duration to work out the bugs...considering your spending a couple of thousand on the hike, the video is worth it even if is old.

smokymtnsteve
02-05-2003, 11:38
aldous huxley the author of "brave new world" said

"Life is short and information ENDLESS"

"Info overload..." said smokymtnsteve

but horace kephart the author of "our Southern Highlanders" said

"the more you carry in your head , the less you carry on your back"

Lone Wolf
02-05-2003, 11:57
Yogi. All the videos, books, websites, expensive high-tech, lightweight gear will not get you from Georgia to Maine. Knowing everything about the AT will not insure success. Chances of completing a thru-hike are slim no matter who you are or what you know. You just gotta really want to do it Earl Shaeffer didn't need no stinkin videos or Leki poles or Go-lite b.s., he had determination, desire and was dedicated.

rumbler
02-05-2003, 12:48
That actually brings up a question I have had. What is the longest stretch of the AT between resupply points? I'm trying to figure out at what point I will have my maximum load, and how much food I'll have to carry at the longest stretch of hiking between food sources.

Papa Bear
02-05-2003, 13:03
Wabbit

The longest stretch is the so-called 100 Mile wilderness in Maine.

There are a couple of possibilities even there: for something like $50 you can have stuff delivered to Mary-Jo road by several hosteliers in Monson, or you can send stuff to the White House camp (about 3/4 of the way northbound). This place is across a lake and sells food, and is similar to a hostel (you can stay overnight) but is pricey. Check the Companion for both options.

Most thru-hikers just push through the 100 miles and make it from Monson to Abol Bridge without resupply.

Pb

MOWGLI
02-05-2003, 13:13
Yogi, I bought the video and it was a waste of money. Just my opinion.

Wabbit: If you are headed Nobo, the last thing you need to worry about is the 100 Mile Wilderness. If you make it that far, you'll have it all figured out.

Little Bear
GA-ME 2000

Mike Drinkuth
04-07-2003, 08:25
I must agree w/TNJED here, bought it and feel ripped off. I mean it's fun to watch hikers talk about their expierences but if you must...select another video. That one is cheaply made on a sub-standard video camera (looks like a panasonic 455...blah!) It IS 5 hours of information but it's interviews only. The hikers are nice enough and entertaining but overall I was highly UNimpressed.

Sorry for rambling but I just watched it for the first time last night.
I totally want my 40 bucks back!
Good luck on your hike, yogi clyde!

Jeff
04-07-2003, 09:10
This video is certainly worthwhile for hikers new to the AT experience. It is really important for folks new to long distance hiking.