PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using an MSR Missing Link??

Toolshed
02-06-2006, 10:21
I just picked up an MSR Missing Link at a deep, deep discount. The next day I open Backpacker Mag to see MSR has an even nicer looking Ultralight tent.

Anyways, I have wanted a ML for quite a while but didn't want to payfull price. Just wondering what others have thought of it and if anyone has any tricks they use when setting it up.
Thanks
Rick

HeartWalker
02-07-2006, 14:50
I owned one and ended up taking it back to REI. Hard to set up and bad condensation problems with two people. Sorry, maybe you will have better luck. Bill

Hana_Hanger
02-09-2006, 06:06
I was considering one I saw on ebay so as a results ... I checked out all the reviews on the Missing Link.

Most loved this tent..but a hint I read was make sure you use ALL the guy outs, the one on the back is very important so as to not have condensation problems.
Also to make sure your poles are high enough.
Hope that helps a little.

gopher
02-09-2006, 08:10
The flat screen front looks like there might be adventures with wind storms.

Toolshed
02-09-2006, 12:22
I've set it up several times. I haven't had a chance to sleep in it yet - Maybe this weekend. But I like it so far and really like the deal I got. I am hoping condensation isn't an issue for 1Person.

MOREHEAD
02-10-2006, 07:27
My son and I have spent many nights in the missing link.
We have not had any problems with condensation in all types of weather.
WE use all the guy outs.
Overall I am satisfied with this tent.
Easy to set up and take down.
I would buy another.

neo
02-10-2006, 10:29
a friend of mine loves her missing link:cool: neo

blairspangler
02-10-2006, 11:13
I too have the Missing Link. It should be very spacious for 1. I have had it out 2 nights with two and had plenty of room for gear as well. It is a small pain to have to use all the guy outs but that should also hold it steady in any wind. Condensation was not a problem. The two nights were cool and still. I love this tent so far!!

Kneegrinder
09-01-2006, 13:44
We recently got the Missing Link and it worked well on our last trip. It has lots of space (my son and I are both over 6'2"). No problems with condensation. It withstood a heavy rain well and provided plenty of ventilation while keeping us dry.

Flexo
01-04-2007, 15:14
I came across a MSR Missing Link today for about 1/2 price. I was thinking about picking it up. Before I do, I was hoping to get a few questions answered.

1.) I saw a few images of the tent. None of them were clear enough for me to see 360 degrees. Is it basically a ground cloth with a tarp cover? Or is it able to be completely sealed? By sealed, I mean to keep out bugs.

2.) *Caution* *NOOB alert* I have been at this for a while, but I have never come across anyone that can tell me what a single walled tent is. Maybe I am just meeting the wrong people :) So...what is the difference between what I have now and a single walled?

3.) Is this tent too big for a solo through hike? The weight seems great and my current one man tent has NO elbow room. I can't imagine sleeping in my current tent for more than a couple of days. I haven't found any lighter one man tent alternatives that aren't very similar to the one I already have....very cacoon like. I would tarp tent but I don't like bugs crawling in my mouth when I sleep...and I have considered hammock hanging, but my back hurts if I use one for more than a couple of hours.

GNR
01-05-2007, 10:22
Great questions...

1)Check out: http://moontrail.com/msr/missinglink/add_tent.php if you haven't already. This site has the best pics of the tent.
It does have mesh all around to keep out bugs, as described by the site. I've also owned one, but sold it in exchange for a tarp and bivy set up.

2)A single wall tent does not have a tent canopy AND rain fly, as in 'double wall' tents. Single wall tents can be made of waterproof or resistant material that is either breathable or non-breathable. They generally have vents to help curb condensation. A Missing Link is a single wall tent, whereas MSR Hubba has a screen canopy and a rain fly, so it is a double wall tent.

3)Good question...depends on your personal preference, but one can achieve a similar set up as a Missing Link(poles as support, tarp-type set up) for much less weight with a tarp and bivy/bug bivy set up. For a thru-hike, however, this might be a bit confining. Just my thoughts. Cheers.