PDA

View Full Version : Water availability Shenandoah NP to Harpers Ferry

njelder
10-13-2017, 11:36
I’m planning a hike from Shenandoah to Harpers Ferry. Does anyone know about the water is this section?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkeeterPee
10-13-2017, 11:56
I spoke with a Ranger earlier this week and he said it has been dry for a month, but did not really have any report of water levels. There is a web page on the nps.gov site, but it has not been updated since August. Much of the region has had rain this week so perhaps the water levels will be improving. Guthooks has some current comments that imply water is flowing at some locations. some a couple weeks old were talking about puddles and needing a scoop to get the water. I'll be heading out 10/27 or 10/28 to that same area of trail. Good luck.

moldy
10-13-2017, 12:15
September was without rain except the first week. They received about 2 inches last week. My opinion it that you will find water in all the places listed on the map and in the guide book. You should bring along some empty containers so you can load up if necessary. Also you should quiz the SOBOs you encounter about where to get water.

Kaptainkriz
10-13-2017, 16:43
Northern SNP or Southern? I've been doing sections in mid SNP this fall and water has been there - a little light in places but ok. Ginger spring is often terrible, so I suspect it's pretty sad. As of last week:
Hightop - ok flow at shelter and also up the hill at the box spring near the summit
South River parking - piped water ok
Pocosin Cabin - ok
Drizzly trail spring ok
Lewis Mountain Camp - piped water ok
Bearfence - sad, but usable puddle with subtle movemet

hikermiker
10-14-2017, 21:37
I went through a bit less than two weeks ago. Things were quite dry. Small streams and springs were dry, but cameling up at each source and carrying a max of two liters was enough.