PDA

View Full Version : Bagels and cream cheese.

Ethesis
10-13-2017, 13:51
On our spring section hike we met a Serbian kid from Canada who was doing 25-30 mikes a day.

She had started on March 1 and was almost to Harpers Ferry by mid April.

She was fueled by bagels and cream cheese.

So, for our fall section hike in October, we tried that.

Works surprisingly well.

Tipi Walter
10-13-2017, 14:12
Back in the 1980s I used to haul cream cheese on all my backpacking trips as it was readily available and mixed good with hot oatmeal or in wild edible soups---or just eaten with bread---or mixed with honey as a sort of hobbit food. I was reading the Hobbit at the time (book in my pack) and it talked about Lembas---survival food wrapped in "leaves of silver". Cream cheese is wrapped in silver . . . hmmm . . . I was eating Hobbit food!

lesliedgray
10-13-2017, 14:15
Good fat and protein in cream cheese. Add to dried chipped beef.. yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorshiver
10-13-2017, 15:15
How long will the cream cheese last in the pack?

Tipi Walter
10-13-2017, 15:25
I use the smell test, like with clabbered milk. It's a good rule for backpacking no matter the food. If it smells bad don't eat it! Of course, most cheeses smell bad from the start and yet cheese can get rank and it's still edible. I know of some wilderness guides who love eating the mold off cheese. But cream cheese is more like butter and butter does go bad in the field. I never chucked out (or chucked up) my cream cheese but then I take chances.

Slo-go'en
10-13-2017, 17:24

Depends on how hot it is. In warm weather maybe few days before it gets runny. In hot weather not very long at all. If you can find the little individual serving packages, those should last a lot longer then an opened package.

Old Hiker
10-13-2017, 18:55

At first, in my pack a brick or a tub lasted about 2 days - 6+ meals. Further on, maybe 3-4 meals. Never lasted long enough to go bad, even in July/Aug. It was usually buried in my food bag, buried in my pack.

I used mini-bagels and tortillas.

George
10-13-2017, 19:01
don't forget the pre-cooked bacon

DrL
10-14-2017, 08:22
Mmmmm. Cream cheese and honey sounds like excellent breakfast food.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
10-14-2017, 08:31

I DID forget. While the young pups were looking for beer in town, I was always looking for a pack or 3 of pre-cooked bacon.

Roll up 2-3 slices in a tortilla for a fast, easy meal: breakfast, lunch or dinner. I'd have 3 of them.

Patrickjd9
10-14-2017, 09:16
Ate that for the first time on my last trip. Good stuff.

Ethesis
10-14-2017, 15:53
I DID forget. While the young pups were looking for beer in town, I was always looking for a pack or 3 of pre-cooked bacon.

Roll up 2-3 slices in a tortilla for a fast, easy meal: breakfast, lunch or dinner. I'd have 3 of them.
That is a great idea.

JPritch
10-17-2017, 14:19
I got a cream cheese bagel to go out of Red's on the JMT. Can't say it was like rocket fuel, I remember struggling that day. But I did have an awesome lunch b/c of it!