PDA

View Full Version : Planning '07 Hike

mambo_tango
02-06-2006, 11:49
My sister and I are planning on leaving early in April. It will be our first attempt and we are very excited. Hope to see you all!

Blissful
02-06-2006, 14:14
(Hope the 2006ers don't mind us crashing in... But I'm learning a lot from this forum) :)
I'll leave too in 2007 with my son "Paul Bunyan". We plan to begin around March 15th.

Blissful
02-06-2006, 14:17
Whoops!!!!! I just saw it - this is a forum for us 2007ers! I thought I misread it that it was the forum for 2006 and I was crashing in.

Wow I am psyched - we have our own forum.

:jump

K-Man
02-06-2006, 14:24
See y'all out there. I'm starting March 17, 2007.....

Hey Mambo, nice Avatar!!

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 14:28
My wife and I now have a tenitive date of March 23rd 2007.

Doesn't it just feel good to say something like that. :)

mambo_tango
02-06-2006, 14:30
They just added a bunch of avatars to the site today but thanks! :)

Cuffs
02-06-2006, 14:36
Hello Class of '07!!
March 1st for me! (maybe a little earlier if possible)

K-Man
02-06-2006, 14:44
They just added a bunch of avatars to the site today but thanks! :)

d'oh....Just realized

hikingpm
02-07-2006, 17:39
I am hoping to thru hike the AT in 2007 or 2008 depending on my finances. I am shooting for April 1, 2007. Plan on doing some section hiking during the thru hiker season to see what I can learn from others trials and errors. Hope to see some of you out there.

clicker
02-07-2006, 18:52
I am also planning to leave at the beginning of April 2007. Hope that I can raise the money for my hike. I also need to find the money so that my girlfriend isn't left with all the bills while I am gone. Can't wait to see you out there.

Paul Bunyan
02-07-2006, 21:24
Hey y'all. My name is Paul Bunyan. I just joined a couple of days ago. :)
I hope to hike the trail in '07.

F.Y.I., Blissful is my mom.:cool:

Blissful
02-07-2006, 21:31
Hey y'all. My name is Paul Bunyan. I just joined a couple of days ago. :)
I hope to hike the trail in '07.

F.Y.I., Blissful is my mom.:cool:

And we're ready to rock - that is, hike rocks, I guess. Though I can wait for the PA ones a little while longer.

EarthJourney
02-07-2006, 22:26
Hey!

I'm hoping for a later start than most of you...maybe I need to rethink this (?). Anyway, I'm looking at around April 9th or 10th of '07! Course I've still got to sock the money away to do it - that may not be as easy as I had previously thought :-? . Wife isn't going to make this easy :mad:

G.H.O.S.T.
02-07-2006, 23:30
Leaving Jan. 1st so i guess i will be freezing the whole way

mambo_tango
02-08-2006, 00:19
Hey!

I'm hoping for a later start than most of you...maybe I need to rethink this (?). Anyway, I'm looking at around April 9th or 10th of '07! Course I've still got to sock the money away to do it - that may not be as easy as I had previously thought :-? . Wife isn't going to make this easy :mad:

I am sure this date will be fine! I am thinking there will be LOTS of people starting around April!

Blissful
02-09-2006, 10:18
As I've read, the only thing with a mid April start is making sure you can reach the end before October 15th. They say if you can make it to Katahdin by the end of Sept., you're in good shape to summit. (got the pamphlet thing on rules and regs for Baxter State Park from ATC in Harpers Ferry yesterday). Even though it will be crowded in March, I don't want to take any chances. Plus, my dh says I'll need to take a week off mid summer if he wins the company trip to Hawaii. That's our deal. ha ha :)

EarthJourney
02-09-2006, 11:35
As I've read, the only thing with a mid April start is making sure you can reach the end before October 15th. They say if you can make it to Katahdin by the end of Sept., you're in good shape to summit. (got the pamphlet thing on rules and regs for Baxter State Park from ATC in Harpers Ferry yesterday). Even though it will be crowded in March, I don't want to take any chances. Plus, my dh says I'll need to take a week off mid summer if he wins the company trip to Hawaii. That's our deal. ha ha :)

Yep,
I've still got extensive research to do regarding my miles/day and start date. Right now I believe I may be reconsidering my 4/9/07 or 4/10 start date. I'm not the slowest hiker around, but I'm far from considered fast :o

longshank
02-09-2006, 11:50
Longshanks and Mcquest, the dream team '07!!!!

longshank
02-09-2006, 11:51
Were coming to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and we're all out of bubble gum.

QHShowoman
02-09-2006, 11:56
LONGSHANK: Oh no ... I hope you guys are hiking NOBO ...

Kerosene
02-09-2006, 17:07
I met a lot of NOBOs around Pearisburg who started in late April, and one who started in early May (she was moving). I know that quite a few of them finished in October, but many of them had to become more diligent about zero days and putting in the miles before New Hampshire. A mid-April start gives you about 6 months to complete, which should be more-than-sufficient for most hikers.

mambo_tango
02-11-2006, 02:13
One thing I am looking forward to with this trip is not having to deal with a car!

mindi
02-13-2006, 13:43
I'm planning on leaving mid-March..I originally wanted to start March 22nd (my dad's birthday) but I may have a ride to Springer to start on the 15th and if I can't find another ride I'll probably take it...
How far along are you all on planning and gear purchases? I have my gear list done, just starting to get it all together. I did a tentative itinerary/maildrop list but now it looks like it is going to need reworking, and I'm trying to get myself into better shape and save money!! Just wondering where everyone else is in the planning process...I can't wait to see you all out there, sounds like it is going to be an interesting group!!:banana

:) Mindi

simplehiker
02-13-2006, 13:54
I'm planning on leaving mid-March..I originally wanted to start March 22nd (my dad's birthday) but I may have a ride to Springer to start on the 15th and if I can't find another ride I'll probably take it...
How far along are you all on planning and gear purchases? I have my gear list done, just starting to get it all together. I did a tentative itinerary/maildrop list but now it looks like it is going to need reworking, and I'm trying to get myself into better shape and save money!! Just wondering where everyone else is in the planning process...I can't wait to see you all out there, sounds like it is going to be an interesting group!!:banana

:) Mindi
Our gear is all ready pretty set, we are looking to maybe maybe upgrade our tarp into a tarp tent for the bug protection.

I am kind of planning our first month on the trail, more now for inspiration and to keep me focused. We are also trying to hit Hot Springs on a specific weekend to celebrate Aimless's birthday.

I am planning drops but not specifically. Meaning that I am gathering food and meal items but other then the fist moth I am going to have a friend of family member pack and ship to locations when I call. I plan on labeling index cards so I can say send me Bla bla bla and 2 blas to XXX location around xx/xx/2007.

Blissful
02-13-2006, 21:57
I'm coming along - thanks to my dh SKipper who gave me a tarp tent for Christmas. Still have to update my pack - I'm leaning toward trying the Osprey Areil 60 this summer, and updating my sleeping bag (maybe the SD Rosa). But I already have my two pairs of boots I'm breaking in (Salomon Canyon GTXs which are great), and have most of my clothing, including a down jacket by SD on Sierra Trading Post. And my dh is making stuff sacks out of sil nylon and is currently working on a pack rain cover. Yep, he sews good and I can't sew at all! :p

What I did was set up an AT folder on my computer listing my essentials, what will go in mail drops, bounce box, and what I need to do by the time I leave next year. Like I have already begun contacting work about the venture. And I also put on there valuable posts I have gotten from other forums.

corentin
02-14-2006, 01:55
I am at the point where I am getting my gear together, looking forward to summer when I can go on some shakedown hikes.
Need to sell my house, or possibly burn it down and collect the insurance.
Going around and around about gear, have figured out a few points where we will do mail drops , but not really what to put in them.
Is anybody planning on doing a lot of their food ahead of time or do you plan to buy as you go?

mambo_tango
02-14-2006, 01:57
Oh yeah that's my sister! Whoo-hoo! Corentin and I are going to kick mcshank's but!!

Blissful
02-14-2006, 13:08
Is anybody planning on doing a lot of their food ahead of time or do you plan to buy as you go?

I think I will do both - that is, put some yuppy meals in drops that I can get at a good deal and anything else that might be more difficult to find or I end up with a good deal. I think it depends too on your budget for the hike. I'd think budgeting for this thing is gonna be hard. We want to play conservative, but it's tough to pass up that restaurant when you are starving. Plus, there will be two of us and on occasion, three.

KirkMcquest
02-14-2006, 16:47
Oh yeah that's my sister! Whoo-hoo! Corentin and I are going to kick mcshank's but!!

Dream on baby.:bse

mambo_tango
02-15-2006, 00:42
Dream on baby.:bse

You guys are all talk!;)

G.H.O.S.T.
02-15-2006, 13:11
I got most of my gear together during christmass. I still need to sew some sil stuff sacks and need to buy my bivy sack. Other than that everything is put together.
For food I'm going to buy almost all of it as i go. I may send a box to fontana and a few other places where resuply will be difficult.

Blissful
02-15-2006, 15:59
I got most of my gear together during christmass. I still need to sew some sil stuff sacks and need to buy my bivy sack. Other than that everything is put together.

Speaking of that, my dh Skipper just got done sewing this AWESOME pack cover out of sil nylon and put elastic in the corners. He still has to put the drawstring through it, but it turned out great. And only 3 oz before seam sealing. We also now have an assortment of sil nylon stuff sacks too that he sewed. Go to thruhiker.com for materials, etc. and good prices on sil nylon.

G.H.O.S.T.
02-15-2006, 21:18
ThruHiker is where i got all my material. So far I have made stuff sacks, a pack cover, and I made their Whitney Down jacket. Its is 800+ fill. I added an extra section of length and I'm working on a hood. The jacket came out at 12oz and kept me warm up on Mt. LeCont in 10 degrea weather. AYCE at ThruHiker was a big help and got me all my materials very quickly.

roxy33x
02-19-2006, 22:46
My husband and I are hoping to go '07 mid march... were stoked!

ridefast
02-21-2006, 18:20
if i can get around to graduating this december, im plannin on a 2007 thru...we'll see

:banana

blindeye
02-21-2006, 21:36
hello 2007 hikers i am going sobo in 2007 leaving from maine on july 4 hope to see ya!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain Man
02-22-2006, 07:49
My plan is to leave Amicalola State Park on March 17th 2007. Looking forward to meeting the Class of 2007 on the trail.

roxy33x
02-22-2006, 17:22
So does anyone know the difference between The Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion and The Appalachian Trail Data Book, cause I dont know which one to get!

onicoe
02-22-2006, 18:04
the companion is a supplement to the data book if i'm right.

you can view the companion online for free here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

simplehiker
02-23-2006, 14:34
So does anyone know the difference between The Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion and The Appalachian Trail Data Book, cause I dont know which one to get!

The data book is literly just that data... miles, zipcodes, city names etc. The guide book is a large but not too large book that has descriptons of each feature on the trail, town guides, and includes the data in the data book. Some people want more adventure so they only carry the data book or just rip the pages out of the guide book..

There is also wingfoots thru-hikers handbook @ http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=hb_order_check_2006

Despite the guy having a major attitude problem, and the book being sold in the most assessnine way.. Mail him a check then he over charges you by pryority shippin it too you? How about you take paypal and just ship it to me first class? The book is a REALLY GREAT tool. I have a 2002 verson or I would order the newest one. I still might but I cant get over the dumb method of sale.

The ATC guide is suposed to be fresh and new this year with a updated frormat from what I hear.

So I don't know... with out seeing this years atc guide I would say if you were only buying 1 book buy wingfoots handbook. Other wise all three are pretty cheap, buy them all. With you and your husband planning you will be fighting over the books anyway.

lol, how long do I have to post to talk about 3 books...
Sorry,
JTW

K-Man
02-23-2006, 17:25
My plan is to leave Amicalola State Park on March 17th 2007. Looking forward to meeting the Class of 2007 on the trail.

MM I am leaving the same day!! I will be packing some Guinness in my pack to celebrate St. Patty's day. See you out there.

Blissful
02-23-2006, 21:31
I heard from the guy at ATC (when I visited there a few weeks back) that the new thru hiker's companion is supposed to have more mileage facts in it (anyone have the 2006 copy to verify?). That's what it primarily lacks compared to the data book. If you want straight mileage to water sources, towns, shelters, road crossings, then the data book has it. If you want more in depth info like descriptions of hostels, addresses to mail your drops, more town info, town maps, the companion has that.

But I picked up a copy of last year's data book from ATC for $2.00. Can't go wrong with that price. And I can fill in the mileage in my companion using the data book. A few things might change from year to year, like a new shelter built (but ATC tells you about that on their web site). But the water sources, towns, and roads remain the same. :)

Mountain Man
02-23-2006, 21:52
K-Man I'll see on Springer

Grandma Dixie
02-26-2006, 11:38
February15th baby! see you there!

ryan207
02-26-2006, 14:22
Starting my hike around March 12th, 2007 and looks like a ton of other people are too. see you all then:sun

roxy33x
03-12-2006, 14:03
I am trying to make decisions on a few gear peices and was hoping for feedback!

First of all I need a sleeping bag. I heard that some have a 20 deg or less to start off with and then switch it up later in the trail, but this seems kind of expensive. The down bags that I have been looking at are over 200$ and the sythetic are too heavy. What do you all suggest? Do you use down or synthetic? Can you just use a 32 deg. bag and get a liner for colder weather, assuming they make liners?

My other question was stoves, although I know this has been beat to death. I found a super small light weigt titanium stove for 79.99$ and I thought it was pricey due to the titanium. But looking around I have yet to find one for less than 50$ and those are all heavier. Also, should I go gas or propane or something else? How easy is it to supply along the trail? Should I supply it in mail drops? And how long does one of the smaller stove containers last?

sorry for all the questions but the outfitters store I went to was not helpful!

Mountain Man
03-12-2006, 15:01
For me if I could only have one bag I'd rather have a 20 degree bag and unzip it and use it as a blanket in summer. As for as stoves I have several different ones but I use a alcohol stove now. It's cheap, easy to use and light weight. Just takes a little longer to boil water but on the trail I usually have lots of time. Sometimes cannisters can be hard to find but I think they are getting a little easier now.

Blissful
03-12-2006, 17:35
Synthetics are really going down in weight. I know many of the guys seem to like the North Face Cat's meow (see the sleeping bag threads). You can get a 20 degree bag for under 3 lbs. For the gals, many of the reviews I read said it was too cold for the rating. For me, I went with the Marmot Maverick 15 degree synthetic bag (haven't gotten it yet, it's in the mail). I had to get the long which is 3 lbs but I'd rather be warm and not worry about being wet, so I'll carry the weight. Besides, I sleep cold. If you don't sleep cold and want to go with possible down or synthetic, the Kelty light year are the most reasonably priced for the weight. But they only go down to 25 degrees.

As for stoves, most that I have met go with alcohol which is easily to find (since it's getting so popular). In fact, there are web sites where you can make your own out of a pepsi can, etc. Also, I've heard of some going with the pocket rocket, but I think the canisters would be heavier and maybe a bit harder to come by (?).

ZZXF
03-13-2006, 14:58
My husband and I are each starting with a 20 degree bag, and if it gets hot we'll send one home and use the remaining as a blanket. We've used that system in the summer in Georgia and weren't hot. Like you, the cost makes us hesitant to buy summer bags.

We carry a soda can stove and a pot cozy, both of which we bought from antigravitygear.com. While we feel somewhat lame about buying a soda can stove, we're not handy at all and don't own any of the materials necessary to make a soda can stove and don't drink soda -- add that all up and it becomes cheaper to buy one. And the pot cozy really saves on fuel. It's like 30-35 dollars for the whole set -- pot, cozy, stove, windscreen, etc.

Undershaft
03-18-2006, 16:53
I too am planning to hike in '07. For years I've been dreaming and scheming about doing a thru-hike of the AT. My original plan was a traditional nobo thru-hike. I worked it over in my head for quite some time, trying every angle I could come up with, but it won't work. I have finally resigned myself to section hiking. The financial logistics of being away for 6-7 months is too much for me to handle right now, as well as finding someone to take care of my cat for that length of time. Hiking the AT is not an event that I wish to put off for much longer. I want/need to go ASAP.

Plan B: A new hope....
For the past 3 years I have taken a vacation from work every autumn to do a little hiking. Each time I go I incorporate a section of the AT. I have hiked small sections of the trail in VA, W.VA, NH, and ME. No more than a few days on the AT at a time. This has proven to be rather unrewarding and frustrating. I need to be on the trail for weeks or months at a time. So I devised a new plan. As it stands right now, I have home support(collecting mail, feeding cat, etc.) but only during the summer months. In the past I have enjoyed the company of the thru-hikers I've met and want to hike north with the pack. So....The plan is to begin my hike in Harper's Ferry in early to mid June and reach Katahdin by October 1st. This will put me in the company of thru-hikers as well as experiencing NH and ME in late summer/early fall(my favorite time of year in New England!). I want to thru-hike the trail so much, but reality just keeps knocking that wish to the ground. Hiking half the trail in '07 and the other half in '08 is my only option. To conclude this needlessly detailed post, I will be hiking and hopefully meeting the rest of you next summer!

PS- any other '07 hikers going to trail days this year?

sdoownek
03-20-2006, 13:39
I'm hoping for a later start than most of you...maybe I need to rethink this (?). Anyway, I'm looking at around April 9th or 10th of '07!

There's nothing wrong with leaving in mid-april. I left on April 20th and still made it with plenty of time to spare in 1991.

EarthJourney
03-21-2006, 20:26
There's nothing wrong with leaving in mid-april. I left on April 20th and still made it with plenty of time to spare in 1991.

sdoownek - how many zero days would you say you took w/your mid-April start?

Blissful
03-22-2006, 00:18
PS- any other '07 hikers going to trail days this year?

I plan to be there for Friday noon thru Saturday activities. Doubt I'll camp but leave that to the 2006 thru hikers who'll need the space as it looks like it gets pretty crowded. Will probably try to get a motel room in Abingdon or something Fri night. It's about a three to four hour drive for me.

EarthJourney
03-22-2006, 08:45
PS- any other '07 hikers going to trail days this year?[/quote]

I'm 50/50 right now - have to work out some scheduling conflicts :mad: .

sdoownek
03-22-2006, 13:20
sdoownek - how many zero days would you say you took w/your mid-April start?

Oh, I dunno. 10 or so? Not as many as people have been taking lately, that's for sure. That was on purpose; a product of saving money, as you can't spend money when you're walking.

For an in-depth statistical analysis of zero days, I highly recommend this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12885

If none of the heavy-duty math makes sense to you, scroll down and look at the charts in post number 29. That lays it out pretty well.

roxy33x
03-23-2006, 17:24
When is trail days this year?

EarthJourney
03-23-2006, 19:38
When is trail days this year?

May 19 - 21..........See ya there?????!!!

casscntyman
03-24-2006, 15:09
I plan on heading out March 15 2007. I haven't decided yet exactly where my starting point will be I am unfamiliar with the choices. This will be the first time I have hiked this area. Living in K.C. MO the closest we have is Arkansas for some challenging hikes. Look forward to seeing you all on the trail and if there is anyone out there in my area looking for someone to plan with or train just drop a note.

doobe01
03-24-2006, 19:08
Hello fellow 2007 thruhikers,

My name is Nick and I will be starting in Georgia on March 9th, 2007!!! I am 23 and going to hike this thing before I have to get a real job!!! I am sick of college!!! Thank God it is almost over. I cant wait, only 349 days to go till I head on down the trail. I cant wait.

Hope to see some of you guys on the trail.

:banana

sdoownek
03-24-2006, 19:17
I am 23 and going to hike this thing before I have to get a real job!!!

There's an easy solution to that, ya know.

Don't get a real job. What's your reason for getting a "real job"? Most people work too much in pursuit of "things" People own far too many "things". They rely on what they own to provide a definition for their lives. When their materialism doesn't supply that definition, they conclude that they must not own the "right" things. So they buy more. And more. Then work more to pay for all of it. It never ends. It's a cyclic hole of hell.

If you can do it and not skirt the responsibilites, spending a couple of years traveling, living by your wits, would prove to be far more educational than working as a Assistant to the Junior Deputy of the fourth Department of Nothing.

doobe01
03-24-2006, 21:35
There's an easy solution to that, ya know.

Don't get a real job. What's your reason for getting a "real job"? Most people work too much in pursuit of "things" People own far too many "things". They rely on what they own to provide a definition for their lives. When their materialism doesn't supply that definition, they conclude that they must not own the "right" things. So they buy more. And more. Then work more to pay for all of it. It never ends. It's a cyclic hole of hell.

If you can do it and not skirt the responsibilites, spending a couple of years traveling, living by your wits, would prove to be far more educational than working as a Assistant to the Junior Deputy of the fourth Department of Nothing.

Yeah...I dont want to get a real job...do you have a way to make money without working 40 hours plus a week? If you do I would love to hear it...Then I would be able to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible without the hassle of a "real job". I am open to suggestions!!! Anyone know how to start an internet business to make my money for me? LOL...Thanks for the advice, you are making me dread working and making me want to slack off and do more exciting things that I want to do...:-?

sdoownek
03-24-2006, 21:57
Yeah...I dont want to get a real job...do you have a way to make money without working 40 hours plus a week? If you do I would love to hear it...Then I would be able to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible without the hassle of a "real job". I am open to suggestions!!! Anyone know how to start an internet business to make my money for me? LOL...Thanks for the advice, you are making me dread working and making me want to slack off and do more exciting things that I want to do...:-?

You have a fundemental flaw in your logic. You're thinking that you are required to make money. You aren't. You're required to make enough money to support yourself, and, in most cases, that's not a lot. Anything other than supporting yourself is the pursuit of material posessions.

I live on anywhere between $950 and $1050 a month.
Cabin Rent, $450
Phone/DSL, $50
Electric $75
Heat, $75
Gas, $125
Food, $200
Pet Food, $25
Insurance $50

Anything else that I make goes into the bank. Once every couple of years, I take off and go hike, or go travel, or go kayak, or go climb, or go _do_ something for a year or so.

You don't need a $4 cup of coffee every morning.
You don't need a video ipod.
You don't need a TV, DVD player or a netflix membership.
You don't need to go out to a bar and spend $50 on beer every weekend.
You don't need any of the other **** that the marketing machine in the US tells you that you need.

The majority of the world lives on less than $2 a day.

It's all about making a choice. It's not for everyone, however. Some people need the comfort of having "things".

sdoownek
03-24-2006, 22:07
OH, also add in $150 for my ATV. I forgot about that.

Phreak
03-24-2006, 22:59
A friend and I are starting our SOBO on July 4th, 2007... hope to see some of you on the trail. :)

frieden
03-27-2006, 16:40
We were in the Class of 2006, but didn't make it. My realtor didn't believe in advertising, and thought the MLS and a sign in the yard was enough (wish he would have told me that upfront), so I got a new realtor, and the house is showing like crazy. I won't be able to sell the house in time for a 2006 hike, but if you'll have us, we'd like to join ya'll here. :D

Frieden - female, 36, FL
Ed - male, 1.5, FL
Start date: Early March
# in party: 2
Miles/day: 10 - 20
Off day: 1/wk.
ETA Katahdin: 7 mos.
Reason: Vision quest; taking time to savor nature and smell the flowers (after the snow melts); plan to take lots and lots of pictures.

Hasty
04-10-2006, 11:56
I originally planned to do my hike in '09 but since I'm in school right now, I was advised that spring 07 would be the best time considering a major in chemistry. Less then a year away! I'll most likely start March 1st. I can't wait!
I think this dancing banana just made my day.. :banana
Peace.
Hasty

Lacbe
04-11-2006, 12:31
I plan to leave between 3/01 and 3/15 because I'm old. lmao, and i need the time to make it before 10/15. I want to enjoy the AT, and what it has to offer. 2007 rocks:sun

maxNcathy
06-05-2006, 12:17
Anyone going north starting March 7th?

mtnbums2000
06-05-2006, 16:48

For the past 7 years I've been a whitewater raft guide and lived in a tent with my wife and my two kids. (They have their own tent.) I make enough money as raft guide to pay our way thru the winter to be able to snowboard. Now this life isn't for everyone but if you can live in a tent for 5-6 months eating ramen and oatmeal then you may qualify. I used to live in Atlanta and I had a good paying 9 to 5 with the "LIFE" so I thought. And one day we decided we wanted more out of life and we moved to the Smoky mountains and I became a raft guide and chair lift manager at Cattoloochee Ski Resort. During the summers we camp out to save up money and during the winters we would rent a house or condo. I now live in Mammoth Lakes, Ca full time because my family and I will be hiking the JMT this summer and my son and I will be hiking the A.T next year.

If you need some info on becoming a raft guide just let me know. Depending on what river you work on you can make at least $500 a week if you can get good tips. And the job is FUN it's not like work at all.

Oh yea my son and I will be hitting the trail on the 23rd of April heading North. We hope to meet some of ya on the trail.

Happy Trails...
www.trailjournals.com/mtnbums

Flash Hand
06-12-2006, 15:35
After 2nd attempts failed, I will try again to thru hike on March 12, 2007. So, count me in for Class of 2007.

This time, I will not bring wallet but a secure place in the pack for driver lic and bankcard! =)

Will not look for any deaf hiker buddy because they tend to bail out at last minutes, make my plan bit harder.

Will start at Amicalola Falls S.P.

Flash Hand :jump

WhoAh
06-12-2006, 19:52
After doing section hikes for several years, I'm finally going to throw my hiker-stink hat into the Class of 2007 pool.

WhoAh- male, old, FL
Ed - male, 1.5, FL
Start date: mid March, probably around the 17th
# in party: 1
Miles/day: whatever - it's a journey, not a race....
Off day: as needed
ETA Katahdin: 5 months or so
Reason: Something I have wanted to do for years. And then some.

WhoAh
06-12-2006, 19:55
Ok... strike the Ed thing... so my copy/paste skills are lacking.....

After doing section hikes for several years, I'm finally going to throw my hiker-stink hat into the Class of 2007 pool.

WhoAh- male, old, FL
Ed - male, 1.5, FL
Start date: mid March, probably around the 17th
# in party: 1
Miles/day: whatever - it's a journey, not a race....
Off day: as needed
ETA Katahdin: 5 months or so
Reason: Something I have wanted to do for years. And then some.