PDA

View Full Version : PA Section

tawa
10-14-2017, 17:30
Next up for my section hikes will be PA.
Please share your thoughts with me concerning doing this section all at once. Would you go North or South? My last stop was at Pen Mar Park.
Suggestions on getting to the trail in that state---coming from Indiana. Possibly could drive---if so where might I be able to leave my truck.
What are your thoughts about doing this sction after mid November?
Have heard all about the rocks ---but would like your thoughts on trail town stops and services and possibility of shuttles and hostel stays during this time of year.
Just got home from completing SNF north to Pen Mar so anxious to start planning for the next state.
Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

QuietStorm
10-14-2017, 18:26
I section hiked PA last fall/winter. I only had weekends. I didn't start using shuttles until Duncannon and found parking and trail access very good. Temps can dip into the single digits and colder. Didn't have to re-supply so I can't advise on town services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capehiker
10-14-2017, 19:13
I hike the PA section all the time in the winter. One thing to keep in mind is from Duncannon north, a lot of the trail goes through state game lands and at any given day of the year there is some kind of hunting season going on.

During deer and bear seasons, you are required to wear a specific amount of blaze orange. Me and a buddy caught some flak during a bear hunting weekend by the game wardens for not having the specific style of blaze orange (even though we were decked out in bright orange). Also- the terminology for Thru hiking is different to game wardens than what we know it as. If they ask if you are Thru hiking, just say yes. We said no because we were thinking in the traditional terms and they were gonna ticket us until we remembered the signs at the trail head. Thru hiking in PA game lands simply means you are starting and finishing at two different points.

When I'm not hiking with a friend, I use the shuttle list from the ATC website. I would recommend starting at PenMar and head north. You can cover more ground in the beginning, get your trail legs, and work up to the rocks (which really don't start until after Port Clinton).

Malto
10-14-2017, 19:24
Perfect time to hike, I live fairly close to Swatara Gap. The rocks in the northern half. I would do south to north to get in shape for the tougher section. Not an easy answer on transportation. If you end up shuttling then the logistics would likely dictate direction or perhaps a flip flop from boiling springs.

Jim Adams
10-14-2017, 20:27
go south to north.....not mid November.......you have turkey, bear and deer hunting seasons until 2nd week of December and then starting again the day after Christmas.

capehiker
10-14-2017, 22:18
Perfect time to hike, I live fairly close to Swatara Gap..

The PA325 to Swatara Gap section is my favorite overnight hike in PA. I love camping at Rausch Gap shelter.

Malto
10-14-2017, 22:34
The PA325 to Swatara Gap section is my favorite overnight hike in PA. I love camping at Rausch Gap shelter.
That section is my most frequently visit multiuse trail, especially snowshoeing and trail running.

windlion
10-15-2017, 06:03
Next up for my section hikes will be PA.
Please share your thoughts with me concerning doing this section all at once. Would you go North or South? My last stop was at Pen Mar Park.
Suggestions on getting to the trail in that state---coming from Indiana. Possibly could drive---if so where might I be able to leave my truck.
What are your thoughts about doing this sction after mid November?
Have heard all about the rocks ---but would like your thoughts on trail town stops and services and possibility of shuttles and hostel stays during this time of year.
Just got home from completing SNF north to Pen Mar so anxious to start planning for the next state.
Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.Just finished doing PA north to south. Agreeing with others,, south to north will save the worst of the rocky tread for last. (Though one SOBO told me that PA was just good practice for NH?)

Hostel suggestions: Ironmasters House at Pine Grove Furnace SP, Rock and Sole Hostel at Summit Station, Blue Mountain Summit at Andreas.

The shelter at Tagg Run and Darlington Shelter both have privies almost big enough to hang in, Peters Mountain Shelter has reliable water 300 steps down off the ridge.

You can check out the original Peters Mountain shelter that Earl Shaffer built at the AT museum in Pine Grove Forest State Park. Very different times.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

DrL
10-15-2017, 10:00
Peters Mountain Shelter has reliable water 300 steps down off the ridge.

Just make sure you're REALLY thirsty before you start down those 300 steps!

Slo-go'en
10-15-2017, 10:09
Just make sure you're REALLY thirsty before you start down those 300 steps!

If not, you will be by the time you get there. Bring a lot of bottles, that's one trip you don't want to do more then once.

The only real issue of doing PA mid-November on would be the short daylight hours which will cut into your mileage and the possibility of early winter storms.

Although currently, it seems we might skip winter this year. 70 degrees in the White Mountains going into the 3nd week of October - this ain't natural.

windlion
10-15-2017, 11:02
Just make sure you're REALLY thirsty before you start down those 300 steps!I was. "Reliable" springs coming up to the ridge from the north were down to mud or iffy in appearance or odor, and we caught a heat wave with ridiculous humidity. Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink ...

windlion
10-15-2017, 11:08
I hike the PA section all the time in the winter. One thing to keep in mind is from Duncannon north, a lot of the trail goes through state game lands and at any given day of the year there is some kind of hunting season going on.

During deer and bear seasons, you are required to wear a specific amount of blaze orange. Me and a buddy caught some flak during a bear hunting weekend by the game wardens for not having the specific style of blaze orange (even though we were decked out in bright orange). Also- the terminology for Thru hiking is different to game wardens than what we know it as. If they ask if you are Thru hiking, just say yes. We said no because we were thinking in the traditional terms and they were gonna ticket us until we remembered the signs at the trail head. Thru hiking in PA game lands simply means you are starting and finishing at two different points.

When I'm not hiking with a friend, I use the shuttle list from the ATC website. I would recommend starting at PenMar and head north. You can cover more ground in the beginning, get your trail legs, and work up to the rocks (which really don't start until after Port Clinton).Agreeing with @caphiker, blaze orange gear is a must. Even when I hiked through this month (officially archery hunting only), the woods and valleys echoed with the barks of 30s and smallbores. Cabelas sells a good line of outer layer gear in the "correct" shade.

DrL
10-15-2017, 12:03
I was. "Reliable" springs coming up to the ridge from the north were down to mud or iffy in appearance or odor, and we caught a heat wave with ridiculous humidity. Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink ...

=) Been there, done that. My experience with PA springs, Duncannon to Delaware Water Gap, has been love/hate. Here's a photo of me and a water cache jug above Lehigh Gap. It's from 2014 during a hot and humid September trip. We knew that water would be tough to find and stashed a few jugs; however, we found that even the reliable springs were just a trickle or a puddle. Back then, I was unprepared for the puddles and struggled to fill the soft sawyer water pouch. Now I carry a small scoop made from a plastic bottle, just in case.