PDA

View Full Version : "Must Have" Gear Items for the AT

cassyr
02-06-2006, 11:49
With all this talk about what hikers find they can do without on the trail, I want to know what you absolutely CANNOT live without. Other than the essentials like food, water purification, etc. what are some things that you would hands down, without a doubt, advise as a MUST HAVE? (hiking poles, that sort of thing)

Wolf - 23000
02-06-2006, 12:50
Cassyr,

Tough question but the truth is there is no equipment that is really essential for hiking the AT. I've done without every piece of equipment for long period without any major problem including the backpack. It just takes some getting use to being without it.

Wolf

Footslogger
02-06-2006, 13:00
I kinda agree with Wolf. You're question it a bit too broad. What items of equipment should we presume a hiker already has and which one's are "optional".

At one end of the spectrum you could say a pack. Presuming that you are carrying anything with you it makes sense to have something to carry it in. Next comes shelter, sleeping bag and clothing. Last but not least (if you're going to be on the trail for more than a day you need food.

Try and narrow down your question a bit and I think you'll get better answers.

'Slogger

camich
02-06-2006, 13:11
If you mean a "luxury" type item...I like to have clean t-shirt to sleep in. I also enjoy a margarita at the end of my hiking day...:D

Smooth
02-06-2006, 13:53
Ahh...Clothes.

icemanat95
02-06-2006, 14:13
A good sharp pocket knife and the means to tune it up. With such a tool, you can make a great deal of the stuff that you may need, start fires, make shelter. etc.

Rambler
02-06-2006, 14:23
Platypus or some other type of tube/hydration system. It so convenient to sip water without having to stop or take off one's pack. Next, a headlamp.

Fiddler
02-06-2006, 14:37
Not exactly a piece of gear, but one thing I beleive you must have is a POSITIVE ATTITUDE. Without that, you don't have much chance of success.

cassyr
02-06-2006, 14:41
ok, sorry for the broadness of this q... how about this, "There is no way I would attempt a thru hike without my _______." Food, water, etc. are cop-out answers.

peter_pan
02-06-2006, 16:08
A good hammock...

Pan

Peaks
02-06-2006, 17:37
Not exactly a piece of gear, but one thing I beleive you must have is a POSITIVE ATTITUDE. Without that, you don't have much chance of success.

Right on. It's isn't gear that gets you to Maine.

Footslogger
02-06-2006, 17:41
Right on. It's isn't gear that gets you to Maine.
====================================
Add a healthy dose of DETERMINATION and you've got the winning combination.

'Slogger

dje97001
02-06-2006, 18:09
3 season hiking on the AT? A fleece hat.

chris
02-06-2006, 18:10
You absolutely must have earplugs. You will spend nights in shelters, hotel rooms, and campsites with others, and those others will snore. I've camped 30 feet from a shelter and still been kept up by the snoring of hikers inside of it. Cheap, light. Carry!

mweinstone
02-09-2006, 20:14
freash ginger or you go die now!

Doctari
02-09-2006, 21:46
Positive attitude is first on my list. As stated above, can do a hike without most gear, even a shelter (tent, tarp, hammock, etc.) But with an attitude of "I can't do this" even being outfitted for a safari with porters & all & you will not finish.

As someone once said: either you think you can or if you think you cannot, either way, you are right.

All that said, I like my: trekking poles & flute, they make the hike nicer. And I get such a kick from my tent, It is just fun to stay in.

Doctari.

fiddlehead
02-09-2006, 22:53
A good sharp pocket knife and the means to tune it up. With such a tool, you can make a great deal of the stuff that you may need, start fires, make shelter. etc.

start fires with a knife, make shelters, aye? i'd like to see it.

I hiked over 7,000 miles with a guy who never used a knife. of course, he had strong teeth.
I think i've hiked with people who have done without almost everything already , except perhaps shorts although that too on naked hiking day.
Grandma Gatewood put it all in a small sack like a hobo.
food is the most important thing to me.
and what do you need a water filter for?

neo
02-09-2006, 22:57
my hammock and my hillary clinton picture:cool: neo

Smooth
02-10-2006, 21:40
Another thru-Hike ?

A Bivy Sac. Lite, no set up. Spend your time hiking !!!

Wolf - 23000
02-11-2006, 08:51
cassyr,

Again the answer is there is nothing I would not consider leaving at home for a normal thru hike. I've left behind the sleeping bags, the tents, the backpacks already. It just take some getting use to.

The AT really is not that hard. Truth be told, you may have a few bad nights here and there but if you know what your doing, you'll survive.

Wolf