PDA

View Full Version : Northeast AT States

tawa
10-14-2017, 17:39
Oldest son plans on doing the Ironman in Lake Placid NY the third week of July.
Trying to figure out some possibilities of either going out early or staying behind after watching him participate.
How difficult would it be in this area to get to the trail and head north to Maine or maybe going over towards Vermont and go south for a month or longer.
Your thoughts please.

Feral Bill
10-14-2017, 17:44
There is plenty of great hiking around Lake Placid, if you are not set on the AT.

tawa
10-14-2017, 20:40
Thank you but trying to keep doing sections to complete my AT completion.

hikermiker
10-14-2017, 21:27
The nearest access to the AT from Lake Placid is probably around Rutland, VT. Google Maps says it is about 2 1/4 hours and about 95 miles. On the other hannd The Northville Placid trail starts (or ends) in Lake Placid.

Slo-go'en
10-14-2017, 22:55
Difficulty is relative. If your driving, not too difficult. It's just a good days drive. The only E-W roads north of I80 are slow, two lane secondary highways, which you often have to slow down to 30 while going through towns. Of course, this means you need to leave your car someplace for a month, so that will narrow down possible starting locations. Or if you do a rental, where you can drop it off will be the deciding factor.

If using public transportation, then it's a nightmare. I somehow got to Lake Placid by bus from Boston once, but that was a long time ago.

Ideally, your son could drive you to the trail and drop you off.

rafe
10-15-2017, 09:35
Oldest son plans on doing the Ironman in Lake Placid NY the third week of July.
Trying to figure out some possibilities of either going out early or staying behind after watching him participate.
How difficult would it be in this area to get to the trail and head north to Maine or maybe going over towards Vermont and go south for a month or longer.
Your thoughts please.

It's a PITA, kind of, to get from Lake Placid to the AT. Google maps says 2.5 hrs. drive from Lake Placid to Killington VT. That sounds about right. Mainly a lot of mountains and the Hudson River in the way. You need to cut south and east, past many of the high peaks in the DAKs. There is a ferry at Port Henry, and another one at Ticonderoga. The ferries save you from having to cut south of Lake George and then back up toward Rutland.

Either way, you'd probably catch the AT near Rutland, VT, where the AT crosses Rte. 4 (Killington.) A month's hiking from there might take you to PA going south, or ME, going the other way.

If you headed due east from either of the ferry landings you'd end up on the Long Trail, but not the AT itself. Maybe something to consider.

I'll just say that the DAKs are splendid hiking -- yes, you could spend a month hiking those trails -- but I understand the call of the AT.

DavidNH
10-15-2017, 10:15
as far as getting to the AT from Lake Placid, NY... well you "cahn't get theyah frm heah!"

I suggest you hike the Northville Lake Placid Trail. Start at the northern terminus in Lake Placid and hike south to Northville. Should take a couple weeks. Far more wilderness than you'd find on the AT!

Shrewd
10-15-2017, 10:59
I'm not sure how to hit the trail from there but think of your options.

South means a nice Vermont cruise and north means hitting the hardest sections of the trail. What kind of hike are ya looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadeye
10-15-2017, 12:15
Really not sure what you mean by "how difficult would it be" Get in a car and drive 2 - 12 hours.

tawa
10-15-2017, 13:28
I agree--but coming from Indiana I need to take advantage of being out there--or at least closer to the trail. Just want to maximize the opportunities I have.
Just turned 65 --actually the day I hiked into Harpers Ferry. Have completed most of the south up to southern PA. So while Im in good health and excellent physical condition Im trying to figure out the best ways/options for completing the second half of the travel heading north.
Would possibly like to go out for another section prior to mid December and then maybe three longer sections in 2018---maybe a Spring--Summer and Fall section.
Would appreciate your thoughts on the above.

BillyGr
10-15-2017, 15:45
Another couple thoughts (not being sure on how you are getting to Lake Placid from Indiana) would be to return to the Albany area.

Depending on what you have (a car that needs to be parked or a rental car to return), it would be an option to pick up either a bus from Albany (not the best for parking at that station) towards Pittsfield, then their local buses to Dalton (which the trail goes right thru) or train (has parking garage for a fee) Amtrak to NY and then back via Metro North for fairly easy access around Pawling (NY).

tawa
10-15-2017, 16:27
Thanks for the suggestions.
Actually my wife will be going with me so she can drop me off at some point after my sons event. Then I could figure a way home.
So trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of either going north or south >

Slo-go'en
10-15-2017, 17:01
Going from Indiana to upstate NY is only half the trip if you want to get to the AT from there. It would almost be easier to get to the AT direct from Indiana then from upstate NY.

If you could swing it, heading north from Harpers Ferry in the spring (May 1st +/-) would be the ideal thing to do. Even though you've done up to PenMar, getting to HF is easier. Getting it all done in one 3 month hike would be the expedient thing to do. Ultimately less expensive too, if that's a factor.

If you have to wait until the end of July, it's hot everywhere. Going SOBO from Maine puts you into the hardest part of the trails pretty much right off the bat. You'll also be in the thick of a steady stream of NOBO thru hikers too. Getting to the CT/MA line from Lake Placid is one of the few mostly interstate travel options. In a month you would at least do MA and VT and possibly a little of NH.

rickb
10-15-2017, 18:58
Your thoughts please.

The secondary East/West roads can be a bit a a challenge during a snowstorm, but drive relatively fast in the summer.

Hop in your car at dawn, and you could be in Hanover before most of the college kids roll out of bed, I think.

You will run into heat and dry springs once you have been out a while, but that is a small price to pay for a avoiding the worst of the bugs — so a good time to go I think.

rafe
10-15-2017, 23:14
Thanks for the suggestions.
Actually my wife will be going with me so she can drop me off at some point after my sons event. Then I could figure a way home.
So trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of either going north or south >

Assuming you start at Killington (Vermont Rte. 4,) going, say, ten or twelve miles a day...

Going north: You'll be in Hanover in three or four days. You'll hit Moosilauke and the White Mountains a few days later. Gorham, Maine 10-15 days after that. Andover Maine five or six days after that. From Moosilauke onwards, it is tough, gnarly hiking and spectacular as the AT gets.

Going south: A week or so to North Adams/Williamstown. 7-10 days from there to Bear Mountain and the Hudson River. 7-10 days from there (through NY and NJ) to Delaware Water Gap, or maybe Palmerton PA or thereabouts. This is a kinder, gentler, hike, nowhere near as scenic. It has its moments, though.

Thinking about the return trip to Indiana, it'll certainly be much easier from PA than western Maine.

Shrewd
10-16-2017, 10:28
Rafe spelled it out perfectly.

Go south if you want a nice woods walk. New York has its moments and I quite liked Jersey, and there are often delis and gas stations at rod crossings, sometimes once a day, where you can grab hot food or a few beers.

Going north, however, is pretty much the opposite. The Whites are gnarly and will punish you, but they’re also the most gorgeous part of the trail, and you can hitch back into Gorham several times from different roads if you want a break. There’s a Chinese buffet and lots of hotels.
From there, the next 3 days in Maine will get even worse :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyGr
10-16-2017, 16:01
Getting to the CT/MA line from Lake Placid is one of the few mostly interstate travel options. In a month you would at least do MA and VT and possibly a little of NH.

Even easier might be the Route 20 Crossing in MA. All interstate after the 30 mi (or so) back to the Northway in NY, and only 5 min (if that) off the exit on Route 20 (Exit 2 of MA Pike) at the other end.

Deadeye
10-16-2017, 17:40
BTW, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with my original post, just wasn't sure what you meant when everyone else did. Everyone has pretty much covered it... you can't get here from there easily without a private vehicle. Considering the time of year (end of July), heading outbound from Rutland or Hanover would get you on the trail with the least drive time. Take the ferry to Vermont at Plattsburgh or Essex.