PDA

View Full Version : Campground or cheap cabin in Burnsville, NC

devoidapop
10-14-2017, 17:49
Anybody know a year round campground or really cheap cabin on 80 in Burnsville? I want to do some Black Mountains hiking in November but don't really want to carry all my gear up those steep trails if I can base camp somewhere.

FrogLevel
10-14-2017, 19:31
There's Toe River Campground just south of Burnsville. There's also a KOA in Black Mountain.

Tennessee Viking
10-14-2017, 22:03
You may want to call the USFS office in Nebo. Last I heard a number of trails in the Black Mtns were affected by this summer storms. Portions of the MST and other trails were closed due to storm damage.

If open...
Bear Den campground on the Parkway near Spruce Pine.
Black Mtn USFS Campground
Mount Mitchell SP campground
Seen people roadside camp at Big Ivy Rec area (down the mtn from the Craggys)

Rallywagon
10-16-2017, 10:12
Hwy 80 not too far out of Burnsville. Oh, looks like they close at the end of Oct. Road side camping in Big Ivy (aka Coleman Boundary) might be an option.

You may want to call the USFS office in Nebo. Last I heard a number of trails in the Black Mtns were affected by this summer storms. Portions of the MST and other trails were closed due to storm damage.

If open...

devoidapop
10-18-2017, 19:04
Gonna look into trails near Bear Den.
Maybe camp near Grandfather and do Profile Trail and some portion of Linville Gorge on back to back days. Or camp on the Mt Mitchell Trail and hike that and Colbert Ridge on back to backs.

Tennessee Viking
10-18-2017, 19:50
Scrap the Big Ivy suggestion:

Few recreation areas and roads remain closed post Hurricane Irma *Updated 10/13* Area(s): oracle.sql.CLOB@f9843a8
Date(s): Sep 15, 2017

October 13, 2017 - Few recreation areas and roads remain closed post Hurricane IrmaDamage assessments are ongoing following Hurricane Irma. Some areas and roads were impacted heavily and will remain temporarily closed until they can be safely reopened. Visitors should continue to take precautions. Be aware of the potential for flooding and falling trees and limbs.
The following will remain temporarily closed until further notice:
Pisgah National Forest
Appalachian Ranger District: NFSR #63 Big Ivy Road

If open...

devoidapop
11-12-2017, 18:29
https://abnb.me/EVmg/oW9xQs9y1H

Here's a link for a great cabin rental in Burnsville. It's close to a bunch of Black Mountains trails, Grandfather, Linville Gorge, and Spivey Gap.

It's a big farm with multiple cabins and a campground. The owner is cool and there are lots of artists and musicians there.

grizzlyadam
11-14-2017, 08:24
There's a really nice little motel Burnsville that I've used a couple of times when I've passed through there on the a High Country Loop. About $70/night.

http://www.carolinacountryinn.com/

Also, at the Bowlens Creek Trailhead on the Black Mountain Crest Trail there are two houses. I noticed a vacation rental sign in the yard of one of them two weeks ago when I passed through there. That could be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk