PDA

View Full Version : Roan Highlands weather Mid -November

GranolaKY
10-16-2017, 16:34
I’m headed out for a few days mid November to roan highlands, iron mountain Etc. I’m aware of the temps but I have no idea what to expect from the terrain. I’ve been in the smokies in winter and wished I had taken crampons for a few miles of the section, but wasn’t sure if I should expect ice here as well that time of year.

I get weather can change but 11ozs of safety needed or no?

saltysack
10-16-2017, 21:06
Wish I had traction on Roan but I doubt you’ll need in November. Maybe a few screws for each shoe just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
10-16-2017, 21:11
Watch the forecasts. Call the State Park or the NRA visitor center a day or two before you leave.
Buy the traction things if needed.
Wayne

GranolaKY
10-16-2017, 22:47
Thanks! Been seeing a lot of 4 in snow reports from later in winter just didn’t have any idea when it hits!

Venchka
10-16-2017, 23:00
Thanks! Been seeing a lot of 4 in snow reports from later in winter just didn’t have any idea when it hits!

My daughter lives in Boone, NC at 3,400’. She had a freak snow storm on Halloween a few years ago. A few inches, 2 or 3, and gone quickly. I can’t recall anything in November. However, the area you are talking about is considerably higher. Anything can happen.
Wayne

Venchka
10-16-2017, 23:02
Watch the forecasts. Call the State Park or the NRA visitor center a day or two before you leave.
Buy the traction things if needed.
Wayne
I was thinking Grayson Highlands. I’m sorry. Wrong references.
The folks at Mountain Harbor B&B might be a good source of conditions in the area.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
10-17-2017, 11:44
At 6149 feet, Roan High Knob shelter is the highest on the AT. It can get a little frosty up there. I nearly froze to death up there in a 40 degree bag when it dipped into the 20's. I did isometrics inside the bag all night and packed up and got moving as soon as it got light in order to warm up. That was in the middle of May.

Anyway, if there is a rain storm triggered by a cold front with below freezing temps which passed through the day before you hit the trail, there is a good chance you'll find ice on the trail. Otherwise, probably not. Or it could stay unseasonably warm for another month and there won't be any concerns. At a time of year when the weather can go from one extreme to the next in a matter of a few hours, you have to look real close to the weather forecast just before the trip to decide what you need for gear.

Gambit McCrae
10-17-2017, 12:08
I went to Roan December 1st of last year. Parked at carvers gap for a weekend trip...Saturday was 65 and sunny. Woke up at the barn with 8-10 inches of snow on the ground, and more at carvers gap. Had a hell of a time getting the car off the mountain...

If a Snow Storm does blow into the highlands, keep in mind that at the Barn is a FS road that leads 1 mile down to a parking area. That is where we bailed when the snow cam in. Took our buddy we met 12 hours to hike from the barn to 19E...

Venchka
10-17-2017, 14:39
April 11, 2017 to October 17, 2017. Days between low temperature in the 20s in Boone, NC.
It’s winter already in the High Country.
Wayne

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-17-2017, 15:14
Superstorm Sandy visited the Southern Appalachians in the last few days of October 2012. It brought snow measured in feet, hurricane force winds, and stranded many unprepared hikers from Mount Rogers through the Smokies (incredibly--its High Country effect was prominently forecast for nearly a week).

Unless careful and up to the moment of departure suggest zero chance of snow-ice, I'd forget the 11 oz effect and take the traction.

AO

illabelle
10-17-2017, 16:04
On the other hand, until yesterday, this month has been unusually warm around here. Watch the forecast, then decide.

Grits
10-17-2017, 18:12
Best weather is http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain elevation 5500 ft

saltysack
10-17-2017, 18:13
Cheap and light! I did Roan in February in solid ice..would have killed for traction!

https://youtu.be/cD0IS3hjJPM

Venchka
10-17-2017, 19:18
Backup your weather info with Ray’s Weather based in Boone.
https://www.raysweather.com
Wayne

smoovoperator
10-18-2017, 21:00
This is some great information. I appreciate all the input. Thanks for posting this, granola. I will be joining him on this trip. I have done this trip in may, and it was noticeably more windy and cold at elevation. I mean, I'm talking about what felt like 20 degrees or so difference at high knob.to be sure, I will definitely be bringing a 10 degree bag, and traction in the pocket. From what I hear, it is better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it. Thanks!

SouthMark
10-18-2017, 21:34
Did Roan Mtn in January. Low of 1.5 degrees that night with high winds and deep snow. High of 8 degrees next day. Had no problems with traction but could have used some snowshoes to avoid postholing.