PDA

View Full Version : HF to Front Royal or Front Royal into SNP

PAsectionguy
10-17-2017, 17:02
Going out this weekend from PA. Just doing what I can in 3 days and 2 nights.

How are the leaves down here? Do you recommend one hike over the other? Are there many people hiking on the weekends still or will be campsites be empty? Water sounds sketchy. Other thoughts or advice?

Thanks everyone!

Hikingjim
10-17-2017, 18:35

How are the leaves down here? Do you recommend one hike over the other? Are there many people hiking on the weekends still or will be campsites be empty? Water sounds sketchy. Other thoughts or advice?

Thanks everyone!

Not sure on some of the questions, but if you end up going into SNP with only a couple nights, I would suggest starting at thornton gap and going south instead of starting at front royal. Not that scenic from FR to Thornton gap IMO
But if you do that section from thornton south, be sure to do the side trails like mary's rock, stoney man, etc. Don't rush through there

Kaptainkriz
10-17-2017, 18:44
This - there are lots of great sights not far from the trail - views, cliffs, scrambles, falls...soak it all in. :)

be sure to do the side trails like mary's rock, stoney man, etc. Don't rush through there

Starchild
10-17-2017, 19:40
I guess it depends on where you can get a ride from, to which direction IDK which one is better.

Gambit McCrae
10-18-2017, 07:12

Thanks everyone!

Leaves? Not yet https://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/shencam/shencam.cfm

I would rather hike SNP again then HF to SNP.

People hiking in SNP? Absolutely. But people are still hiking everywhere.

With all the waysides, picanic areas, campgrounds and lodges in SNP, along with the occational water source I would think it should be fine water wise

TNhiker
10-18-2017, 14:43
I'm driving south on Interstate 81 right now after passing through front royal---and there's really not much color now...

granted I'm in the valley but not seeing much up on the ridgeline...

Slo-go'en
10-18-2017, 15:57
The HF to Front Royal section is the one with the infamous "Roller Coaster". It definitely proves that the AT has it's ups and downs. The only redeeming value is that the Bears Den hostel in along there. And the Horseshoe pub, if you know how to find it. I think the only view of significance was at Bears Rocks, near where you take the short blue blaze over to the hostel. It's a good section if you want a serious workout for the weekend.

SNP is a better option if you want a less strenuous hike and have a better chance of finding reliable water. The down side is there will be lots of others doing the same.

We had a very strange foliage season up here in the Whites. The colors were very muted and very late. A lot of leaves simply dried up and fell off the trees. Probably because it has been so dry. A week or so ago we had a little rain and a couple of cold nights. Overnight the colors became more vivid and lasted for a few days. Now all the trees are mostly bare.

windlion
10-18-2017, 16:34

Thanks everyone!Parking at Big Meadows and flipflopping/ blueblazing as the mood strikes works for me. Marys Rock is a decent view.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Kaptainkriz
10-18-2017, 18:57
Great food there...pretty neat place:

And the Horseshoe pub, if you know how to find it.