PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Backpacks

tawa
10-17-2017, 23:33
Going to pull the trigger and purchase a new backpack this week. Will be near an ERI later this week and want to check out ultralight packs,
Would like you thoughts on several that you might suggest I try on .
Which one do you have and what about it sold you on it.
Which factors would you consider before buying a specific one?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

SwathHiker
10-17-2017, 23:43
I love my ULA Circuit at 40 Oz with a real frame and padding and sturdy material plus true short torso size frame and female harness. But I just got a Z packs scout now that they make one in short torso for my thru hike at 23 Oz. I had to buy lumbar pad and belt pockets and side connectors all off which come on my Circuit for 235 and put me all in around 380 for a Z packs made of thinner version of the same Robin material. Both are nice. If I didn't need to cut weight so badly for a knee issue I would stick with the Circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwathHiker
10-17-2017, 23:44
they also have male harnesses obviously

SwathHiker
10-17-2017, 23:45
Robic. autocorrected

HooKooDooKu
10-18-2017, 00:01
I assume you mean that you will be near an REI later this week...

...and I don't think you'll find a large selection of what I would call "Ultralight" packs. I think the only things you're likely to find is a few different pack by Granite Gear and the Osprey Exos.

I used to include the REI Flash Pack in the ultralight group... as my Flash 63 weights about at 3lbs. But the newest model of the Flash is pushing 4lbs in a size large and took away some of the flexibility in organization of your gear I felt the older Flash had.

For a truly Ultralight pack, you might want to check into some of the cottage manufacturers first:
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com
http://www.ula-equipment.com
https://www.gossamergear.com/

Maineiac64
10-18-2017, 06:09
Zpacks has a lot of good options, I like the arc haul zip. Transfers carry weight to hips well, light, comfortable. I like being able to grab my tent quickly though the front zipper without having to unpack a bunch of stuff.

rmitchell
10-18-2017, 06:25
Fit and features are things are things that can be checked first hand at a brick and motar store. I guess that is the drawback of the cottage industry. Unless you are lucky enough to run across the pack of interest in the field you are limited to second hand information. That would be the only reason I would go to TrailDays.
Another factor to consider is durability, that too is something that you will have to rely on gather second hand information. This site is likely a good source.

tflaris
10-18-2017, 06:40
I had good luck with the Osprey Exos 58 and used it on a JMT Thru hike. I was able to turn a barricade bear canister horizontally at the bottom of the pack.

REI has a great return program if you are unhappy with the pack.

I’m not sure I would have gravitated towards cottage vendors (ZPacks, HMG, ULA) without having some sort of previous pack experience which for me was at REI.

daddytwosticks
10-18-2017, 07:07
If it fits you comfortably, I can't say enough good things about the Osprey Exos series of packs. :)

chknfngrs
10-18-2017, 07:18
I bought a Mountain laurel designs core 28 pack without trying it on. Lemme tell you, it was the best thing I’ve ever done. Such a great pack. Super light. Comfortable straps. Super simple. Easily able to carry what I need on a weekend hike, and if I really got it together could see a longer hike working out just fine. Check them out https://mountainlaureldesigns.com

You will not find these in stores, but their customer service is top notch.

cmoulder
10-18-2017, 07:19
Going to pull the trigger and purchase a new backpack this week. Will be near an ERI later this week and want to check out ultralight packs,
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.
Bring all the stuff you intend to carry in it to make sure it will all fit and that it is comfortable with a full load, including food and water.

Ctothepowerofthree
10-18-2017, 07:24
I swear by my ZPacks arc haul zip. It’s perfect and has great organization.

Ctothepowerofthree
10-18-2017, 07:27
Oops. Posted that before I was finished.

My ZPacks arc haul is also durable and only weights 27oz.

The hip and should straps are adjustable as well.

JC13
10-18-2017, 08:45
As HooKoo said, REI and Ultralight don't really jive. Then again, without knowing what you are currently carrying, an Osprey Exos or similar might be UL in comparison.

Osprey is supposedly coming out with what they term a super UL pack series. It will supposedly be released in Spring of 2018 I believe.

LEVITY 60/LUMINA 60
For the most audacious superultralight excursions and thru hikes
Weight: 1.83 pounds
Load Range: 10-30 lb
Retail: $270
LEVITY 45/LUMINA 45
For experienced thru hikers and lightweight overnights
Weight: 1.76 pounds
Load Range: 5-25 lb
Retail: $250

colorado_rob
10-18-2017, 09:51
Just another 2 cents on UL packs...

My progression over the last 10 years or so has been:

Osprey Exos (REI purchase) which I never thought of as actual UL, but still at the time, the lighest full pack I've owned, OK pack, but really never liked the horrible waist belt support, though I think the newer models are better

For a complete AT hike (big sections, not a thru), I bought and used exclusively the ULA OHM 2.0, and absolutely loved the pack. I first had tried the Circuit (bought at same time as the OHM). tried both side by side and decided on the OHM to save more weight and it was just as comfy at the weights I carry

Most recently, for a long hike (the Sierra High route) that required a bit more volume, I bought the zpacks Arc Haul (about 10 liters larger than the OHM/Circuit). This is easily my all-time favorite pack. Same weight as the OHM, but larger and more supportive.

Bottom line: Take a good look at the zpacks Arc series. A couple of negatives vs. the ULA OHM: the side pockets and the back mesh pocket are a tad smaller than the OHM's, and the waist belt pockets are slightly inferior because for me, at least, they required two hands to open, vs. the ULA hip belt pockets which can be opened with one hand. No biggie.

Crossup
10-18-2017, 10:04
While near the bottom of the UL heap, the Exos 58 is a great value and IMOH has the best ventilation/suspension available. We all have our own agenda as to what is important in a pack, for me not cooking in my own juices is at the top closely followed by comfort and thats where the Exos excels. From using a Stratos 50 which has the same suspension I can tell you even overloaded at 50 lbs(10 lbs overload)its very comfortable, at a more proper sub 35 lb load the Exos will be like wearing a cloud.

colorado_rob
10-18-2017, 10:08
While near the bottom of the UL heap, the Exos 58 is a great value and IMOH has the best ventilation/suspension available. I forgot to mention in my post hawking the zpacks Arc series... one main reason I love the Arc Haul is the fact that it DOES, indeed, have essentially the same back ventilation system as the Exos. Fantastic.

Captain Panda
10-18-2017, 10:12
I see that you are 65 yo. Some of the UL packs are like large book bags that younger hikers do fine with. I am 67 yo, and my advice and experience ( depending on your base wt ) is to consider the support that a pack has, even if it adds 1-2 lbs. A lot of UL packs claim they can support a load of 25-30 lbs, which may work for a 25 yo; but I guarantee you will wish you had more support on the first day out. Examine your base gear, and find ways to cut weight from those items.

Berserker
10-18-2017, 10:37
I'm gonna throw a plug in for the Zpacks Arc Haul also. I just did my first 4 day trip with the one I just purchased last weekend, and that is an amazing pack. I have used an Osprey Aether and a ULA Circuit just to give some comparison. The Circuit was my go to pack for the last several years, and served me well. The Arc Haul basically carries and feels very similar to the Circuit, but it weighs almost a full pound less. To look at the Arc Haul one would not think that thing would not be very comfortable, but it's really a smart and unique design. So yeah, make sure to consider the Arc Haul and take a look at the Circuit to cover your bases too.

JPritch
10-18-2017, 12:04
The Granite Gear Crown VC 60 doesn't get much hype, but I have one and love it.

Slo-go'en
10-18-2017, 13:08
As noted, you won't find a UL pack at REI or any big retailer. And a UL pack may not be a good choice unless you go all out with UL gear.

My favorite pack is getting worn out and I also keep looking at the Zpack Arc Haul as a replacement. I'm not a fan of frameless packs. But if I get an Arc Haul, I'll also want to get a cuben fiber tent and rain jacket, a quilt and new pad. And a down puffy. Now I'm in the hole for close to 2 grand. But it would be a little easier to carry then my current load, which typically runs a little over 20 pounds with 3-4 days of food and a little water. I guess I need to see how much spare change I can scrape up over the winter. Unless everyone who reads this sends me $1.00 :)

PatmanTN
10-18-2017, 13:47
I hate pack shopping. For me, I plan on spending almost as much on postage to return the misses as I finally do on a keeper during the shopping process. I've wanted to have an ultralight pack for years but never found one that was really comfortable, only tolerable. I have found one that I'm keeping and growing to really like: Gossamer Gear Mariposa. It isn't suitable for all my needs but for weekends and on-trail section hikes I'm liking it.

Alligator
10-18-2017, 13:49
I think you should consider:
the amount of weight you will subject it to and thus to you,
the volume you intend to put in it,
and your loading/organizational preferences.

Example-I used to have a ULA Conduit. I was pushing its upper limits for hauling weight and it didn't have a top lid, volume was ok. I sold it and switched to an Osprey Exos 48, about a lb more but it carries much better and organization is great with it.

colorado_rob
10-18-2017, 13:50
As My favorite pack is getting worn out and I also keep looking at the Zpack Arc Haul as a replacement. I'm not a fan of frameless packs.... Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, or Maybe our definitions are different, but the Arc Haul is not a frameless pack. The UL frame that it does have does a pretty decent job of spreading the load to the waist belt.

In fact, the Arc Haul has a significantly better UL frame than the ULA OHM, one of its endearing qualities. I believe, but check me, that zpacks has a decent return policy, you could always check the pack out around the house and return is not satisfied.

One other aspect that I like about the Arc Haul.... My Arc Haul's 2nd ever trip was a technical climbing trip, and on these trips I usually bring a separate summit pack, but because of the AH's low weight, I decided to do the trip with just the one pack. So, I wore the AH on summit day, a very long, technical day with lots and lots of sharp rock, the pack constantly sliding over rough surfaces, I was really expecting to abrade some serious holes in just one trip. In fact, my wife did wind up with all sorts of blemishes/small tears on her OHM 2.0 that she carried that day. My Arc Haul still looked essentially new. I was impressed.

No, not really a good climbing pack, but it did the trick, hauling a lot of climbing gear with 3 days of BP gear/food. I'm guessing maybe 40 pounds. My OHM2.0 would have not worked.

Here's the Arc Haul bustin' one of maybe 100 moves on the Grand Teton... yes, I was on a rope.

Crossup
10-18-2017, 14:22
As Wayne says, essentially the same however the Zpack version does have the advantage of being able to adjust the curve of the vent panel and I presume the panel tension. So I'll gladly go with amending my proclamation to "one of the best" and let Wayne tell you if the extra vent area above the straps and at the rear belt area on the Exos is worthy of extra consideration. Regardless, for me the venting makes these the only ones to consider and then its just deciding on plain and inexpensive vs option city and expensive.

I forgot to mention in my post hawking the zpacks Arc series... one main reason I love the Arc Haul is the fact that it DOES, indeed, have essentially the same back ventilation system as the Exos. Fantastic.

blw2
10-18-2017, 15:28
i just unboxed my Arc Blast this morning. All I can say at this point is that it sure is light!...and I like the look of it so far.
Haven't had a chance to adjust and sort it out yet.....

Slo-go'en
10-18-2017, 15:40
40707 Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, or Maybe our definitions are different, but the Arc Haul is not a frameless pack. The UL frame that it does have does a pretty decent job of spreading the load to the waist belt.

That came out a little backwards. I'm not a fan of frameless packs, that's why I'm considering the Haul.

The "bag with straps" types of UL packs which press up against your entire back get real sweaty, even in cool weather. Found that out with the ULA "CDT" pack I bought. Plus I'd prefer to have a real zipped pocket on the back, not just a cargo net. I just don't like the looks of the cargo net stuffed with odds and ends.

The Haul has enough of a frame to reduce the sweaty back problem and help transfer load to the hips. Plus it can come with a zippered rear pocket. Sounds like a good idea to me.

globetruck
10-18-2017, 15:47
Absolutely love my Arc Haul after about 250 miles this season. It’s amazing that a 1.5ish pound pack can handle a 30 lb load with ease.

Turk6177
10-18-2017, 20:29
I love my ULA Circuit at 40 Oz with a real frame and padding and sturdy material plus true short torso size frame and female harness. But I just got a Z packs scout now that they make one in short torso for my thru hike at 23 Oz. I had to buy lumbar pad and belt pockets and side connectors all off which come on my Circuit for 235 and put me all in around 380 for a Z packs made of thinner version of the same Robin material. Both are nice. If I didn't need to cut weight so badly for a knee issue I would stick with the Circuit.

+1 ULA

SwathHiker
10-18-2017, 20:34
Robic fabric is used by ULA, Goss Gear, and avail on the Z packs scout which is the only one in your size with a frame. Robic is pretty much waterproof though maybe not absolutely like cuben fiber. If anyone knows from extended rain use of Robic.

saltysack
10-18-2017, 20:45
I’m really liking the MLD frameless prophet so much I just ordered a burn...it is more comfortable than my Gorilla or circuit for -25 lb loads...they’re so many great cottage gear mfg I don’t think you can go wrong as long as you match pack to your gear and hiking style and budget.

MLD
ULA
Gossamer gear
Zpacks
Hyper light mtn Gear...no personal experience with but heard great reviews..

jjozgrunt
10-18-2017, 21:05
I have had the Arc Haul Zip for 2+ years and love it. Not a youngster anymore so the lighter pack is great. I've had up to 38lbs in it (17.5kg) when I had to carry 6lts of water + 5 days food and it handled it no problems, didn't feel any different than carrying 25 lbs. It's been on about 90 days of walking and no noticeable wear.

With the suspension I've noticed that some people have trouble with it slipping/loosening. I asked Joe and ZPAcks if you should leave the tension on, once you have it right, or relax it after each walk. He gets it right and leaves it there, and the pack supports show no memory, ie stay bent, but straighten even after months of use. That being the case I got mine right and then knotted the ends so it can't slip.

SwathHiker
10-19-2017, 08:15
the only Zpacks short torso is the scout but it's the same. or the Nero. REI has osprey and the women's version of the talon is good and is 2 pounds 4 Oz and has more pockets than the Exos.

SwathHiker
10-19-2017, 08:17
somehow I replied to myself on page 3 rather than here so please backtrack re Zpacks and REI options.

SwathHiker
10-19-2017, 08:20
granite gear day packs Virga also great if they still make that. awesome actually.

Gambit McCrae
10-19-2017, 09:26
ULA, Osprey, Zpacks

ULA - I wouldn't call it ULTRAlight....Just light..
What sold me on the Circuit was its simplicity, it was half the weight of my old pack and at a fair price point for what I wanted to spend while still boasting a quality reputation. As well as it seemed to be a pretty durable product.

Depends on where I am at in life and what I am doing. I've spent 52 nights on trail thus far in 2017. So I consider that to be a pretty good amount of time using my stuff. However I have other interests and obligations so price point is still a variable for me, but I also don't buy junk so I put price point as a medium factor. Quality, and weight come before versatility for me. I am a repeat user. I repeatedly set my tent up and sleep in it the same way - so I don't need my stuff to be versatile. In my opinion, the more versatile something is, the larger the fail factor is. I rather have 1 thing that does 1 thing. Other then my trek poles of course.

English Stu
10-19-2017, 09:37
I have Zpacks ArcBlast with hip pockets and the ULA Circuit -both a good, I use the ArcBlast the most.

Berserker
10-19-2017, 10:02
To look at the Arc Haul one would not think that thing would not be very comfortable, but it's really a smart and unique design.
I wanted to correct my double negative here. This was supposed to say "To look at the Arc Haul one would not think that thing would be very comfortable". It's a really cool design because there are metal bars and other things attached to the back area that appear as if they would be hitting up against your back. But then a magical thing happens...you pull the two little straps to make the arc and it all "goes away" (i.e. doesn't touch your back). I also really like the shoulder strap adjustment.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-19-2017, 10:35
I love my Osprey Exos 58. Long torso happens to fit me perfectly, it comes out to 61L which is too big for most of my purposes, but it handles 40 lb loads with ease, and I never sweat. Just over 2.5 lbs, but you're getting the benefits of the frame.

brswan
10-19-2017, 10:44
I love my Osprey Exos 58. Long torso happens to fit me perfectly, it comes out to 61L which is too big for most of my purposes, but it handles 40 lb loads with ease, and I never sweat. Just over 2.5 lbs, but you're getting the benefits of the frame.
I'm seriously trying to decide between this and the 48. I don't like going over 50 but it may be nice to have the extra room if needed.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-19-2017, 13:00
I'm seriously trying to decide between this and the 48. I don't like going over 50 but it may be nice to have the extra room if needed.

The 58 can carry a bear cannister sideways in the pack, that was what did it for me. And I think it was only 2 or 3 oz more.

brswan
10-19-2017, 13:19
The 58 can carry a bear cannister sideways in the pack, that was what did it for me. And I think it was only 2 or 3 oz more.

Thanks for that information. This may sway my choice as well.

spfleisig
10-19-2017, 14:23
I recently bought the Hyperlite 2400 Windrider. It's on the lighter side and comes with hip pockets. I bought after-market shoulder strap pockets. What was very important to me was being able to reach water bottles being held in the side mesh pockets while walking. I also tried the OutThere AS-3 pack and the Ultimate Direction Fastpack 45 and I wasn't able to get bottles out of the Fastpack and I liked the OutThere pack and could get the bottles but the Hyperlite was lighter.

Ktaadn
10-19-2017, 15:12
granite gear day packs Virga also great if they still make that. awesome actually.

Yep. I love my Virga

nsherry61
10-19-2017, 16:23
I've got a Exos 48 that I love and I rarely use because it's way more room than I need for my particular gear choices for 2 to 5 day trips when it's not winter. The last 4-day backcountry ski trip I use my Exos 48 and that was pretty much the first time it had ever been full. It was also almost 35 lbs on day one and it was notably more comfortable after a couple days of food was used up. For many people, these trampoline suspension systems seem to work optimally on loads 30 lbs or lighter and start to be pretty uncomfortable at much over 35 lbs.

I would suggest that if your intent is 3-season use and you lean toward being a minimalist, then 48 L is ample. If, on the other hand you don't spend significant time dialing in your minimal gear, you will probably be happier with a 58 L.

If I were planning on hiking the AT tomorrow (if tomorrow were spring), I would gleefully take my Exos 48 because it is fantastically comfortable, quite reasonably light weight, and a good size with enough room to spare for some longer re-supply gaps. Actually, if I were to start the AT tomorrow for a winter thru, I'd still take my Exos 48.

Another main-stream pack you can try out at REI and to consider might be the new REI Flash 45, which is a pretty well put together and affordable pack as long as your torso isn't longer than 20 inches. Their large is just a 1/2" to small for my 20.5" torso.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-19-2017, 16:53
Fit is more important than size. Anything in the ~2lb range is fine, but you need one with the right torso length.

connolm
10-19-2017, 17:22
I hike on a budget and enjoy looking for inexpensive gear to try out. I found two 2.5 lbs packs this fall on Amazon. I've only used them each for only a couple days but everything went fine.

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on these bags - especially on how long you may think they'll last. I find both comfortable, adjustable, and large enough for my 2-4 day trips. Might not be suitable though for weeks in the bush...

The Klymit Motion 60: got this on sale for $99. Weighs just above 2.5 lbs. Stitching and design seems good quality. Buckles seem a little lightweight. Very comfy hip belt with FOUR pull-downs. It uses an air bladder frame that seems weird but wears quite comfortably. Link - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBH40IQ/ref=asc_df_B00JBH40IQ5223656/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00JBH40IQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194852051030&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8543377252484502809&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002000&hvtargid=pla-315750815255

GoBackTrail Backpack: $58 dollars and really 2.5 lbs. This is a roll-top bag that is small but expands to a claimed 50L. I can easily get 20 lbs in. Straps and hip belt aren't as comfy as the Klymit. Seems similar quality though. Link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MDRECDU/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1508441608&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=51qMcu6BqAL&ref=plSrch

Take it or leave it. Just though I'd share some other inexpensive options.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

JollyJimbo
11-01-2017, 10:26
If you can afford spending $300, go for a ZPacks Arc Haul and give it the 30 day trial. Return it if it doesn’t work for you, but once you dial in the perfect fit, it is a great pack with top quality construction.

SoaknWet
11-01-2017, 11:11
I've had the ULA Circuit for two years now with no problems and love it. I took the staves out with the back foam and also from the hip belt and at 20# it's almost not there.

Odd Man Out
11-01-2017, 12:16
You can also check out the Elemental Horizons Kalais. I like mine.

keynoil
11-01-2017, 12:44
You could try Outlander Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack. It weights only 0.5 Pounds.

keynoil
11-01-2017, 12:56
It is available on Amazon. But, According to your age, you should take less items in your backpack. This is the only way to minimize your pressure. Because most of the backpack weight is less than 1 pound and they cannot minimize the overall weight of items.

capehiker
11-01-2017, 13:28
You can also check out the Elemental Horizons Kalais. I like mine.

I really like my EH Kalais but the new versions put this pack out of the ultralight category.

RollTide
11-01-2017, 16:04
I used the Zpacks Arc Blast on a thru hike this year. It was okay but I was improperly fitted. On Friday I will be receving what I consider a next-gen backpack, only one other hiker had it on the AT to my knowledge. At less than 10 oz paired with my sub 8lb base weight, it should be a good fit. Will post photos on this thread when I recieve it & links to it's website.

stay tuned...

JC13
11-01-2017, 16:07
Inb4 Palante.

Durunner
11-01-2017, 17:46
I might have went with Zpacks, but I found the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest 3400 on campsaver.com. I was able to use a 20 percent off coupon code, so the choice was easy. I used it for my 72 mile, 5 day trip on the AT through Roan Highlands last week. It worked so well that I can't wait to use it again. So light. The shoulder straps bothered me a little to start, but worked great once I got used to it. I am no 25 year old, but going on 37, so not too old either. Was an ultra runner until 2 years ago. Put on about 40 pounds, so kind of out of shape, but haven't completely lost fitness.

Cheyou
11-01-2017, 17:58
Things change and get lighter . I don’t think a pack over 16oz as ultralight.

Thom

Odd Man Out
11-01-2017, 19:06
I really like my EH Kalais but the new versions put this pack out of the ultralight category.

Haven't seen the new version. Too bad they made it heavier. I guess I will try to keep my old one going as log as possible.

RollTide
11-02-2017, 01:13

Thom

Shots fired

cmoulder
11-02-2017, 09:14

Thom

Shots fired

Needn't be controversial.

"I don't think..." means it's a personal opinion, and one which is shared by quite a few UL folks who understand that the term UL actually has a definition, which is base weight of 10 lbs or less. And there is also SUL (5 lbs or less) and XUL (3 lb or less).

A lot of people relatively new (and no so new!) to backpacking don't realize that there is such a website as BPL dedicated to this very small niche, or that it is even possible to achieve such low base weights, and many who think that is stupid, dangerous or ridiculous to aim for target weights when selecting gear.

There is, admittedly, some silliness involved when people start putting stuff in their pants pockets to count it as "carried" and therefore not part of pack weight on their spreadsheets. And it verges on dangerous — or at least uncomfortable and un-fun — when people cut back on sleeping bag or clothing in marginal weather conditions.

However, many people who have reached this point in their pursuit of backpacking have a ton of experience and a skill set to match. And they will deliberately do many shorter test trips in crappy conditions to make sure their finely honed kit will get the job done.

Getting back to Cheyou's point, since by definition UL is 10 lbs base pack weight (minus consumables... food, water, fuel), technically it doesn't matter how you get there. If your pack weighs 5 lbs and the rest weighs 5 lbs, you're still UL, although it will be extremely difficult to achieve a 10 lb base when half that amount includes an unnecessarily heavy backpack. If you're doing a long hike in the desert and carrying 8lbs of food and 14lbs of water and your pack weighs 32lbs, you're still by definition UL.

What you will find these days is that most UL aficionados (including Ryan Jordan, who started BPL and published a book on it (https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Backpacking-Camping-Light/dp/0974818828)) have come to the conclusion that labels and target weights are counterproductive goals in the pursuit of lighter pack weight, and that it is better to simply choose the lightest gear for the task at hand, and the pack ends up at whatever weight is needed. However, there is probably some truth to the notion that the "UL movement" is responsible for the backpacking industry's general shift toward lighter weight gear.

So if one is doing a desert hike with food and water weights such as those in the above example, a sturdier (read: heavier!) backpack might be necessary to comfortably carry that load, while that same backpack would (from a UL mindset) be overkill for the typical AT hiker carrying 5lbs of food and 2lbs of water.

My own approach is to not worry about what other people carry. If people want to or are happy carrying bunch of heavy stuff it's no concern of mine, but if they ask I am happy to share my perspectives on UL backpacking.

But it is fair to say that there are a lot of people who post on WB asking "How can I lighten my pack?" and absolutely none interested in the reverse. :-?

blue indian
11-02-2017, 11:02
Ive got a golite jam 50 (medium) and a beautiful custom elemental horizons kalais (medium) that I was going to post for sale soon. Let me know if youre interested.

gwschenk
11-03-2017, 10:06

What will you be using the pack for? If you are staying on trail, the UL packs are really nice. If you plan on doing any cross-country work they may not hold up very well.

I love my ULA pack, but it's strictly a trail-only pack.

LDog
11-03-2017, 15:50
Fit and features are things are things that can be checked first hand at a brick and motar store. I guess that is the drawback of the cottage industry. Unless you are lucky enough to run across the pack of interest in the field you are limited to second hand information.

Quite a few comments suggesting brick and morter is superior to the cottage industries because you can try stuff on. The cottage industries are the ones pushing the envelope on materials and design. You call, and the owner/designer is likely to answer the phone. That person will talk you through sizing and fitting. And they have generous return policies. So you can try it on, and return it if it doesn't fit. The forums here are full of hikers with hundreds and thousands of miles on their packs. So you can get lots of feedback on design issues.

When you go to REI you're lucky if you get someone with any experience. They'll sell you a 65l pack cause that's what their training tells them one needs for anything over a weekend. They have outrageous return policies because they can afford to. But they don't carry any pack I'm interested in. They don't carry anything I'm interested in cause they havn't embraced ultralight backpacking. I've been a member since 1972, the only thing I expect to find there is clothing and fuel.

Having said that, those Exos are kinda nice. But they have tiny little hip belt pockets, and I've been spoiled by my Ohm2.

I love my ULA Ohm2, but it took me a few iterations to get the volume and weight of my kit small enough to rock it. Yes, it's a deep bag some might say lacks organizational features. That's the nature of UL. I have no problem with organization with the huge exterior pockets.

Finally, I'm just fed up with the industry-wide, half-assed design criteria that thinks packs don't need to be waterproof. My next pack will be waterproof, or nearly so. Right now that means Zpacks or Hyperlight Mountain Gear for me.

And you won't find those in REI.

Good luck, hope you find the one.

Venchka
11-03-2017, 16:03
What will you be using the pack for? If you are staying on trail, the UL packs are really nice. If you plan on doing any cross-country work they may not hold up very well.

I love my ULA pack, but it's strictly a trail-only pack.
Which ULA pack are you using? Why do you say that it is trail only?
I had a Catalyst last year and there was nothing about the pack that said, "For use on trails only."
I do wish it had said, "Don't let your granddaughter talk you out of it." Grinning.
ULA does have a few dealers on the east coast near the AT. I bought a Catalyst in Maryville, TN.
Backcountry Gear in Eugene, OR carries HMG packs.
Wayne

gwschenk
11-03-2017, 16:10
Which ULA pack are you using? Why do you say that it is trail only?

Because after I took it down Gorin's Gully on the way to El Picahco del Diablo it was thrashed. Both hip belt pockets were ripped out, and gashes and tears in the main pack body.

No fault of ULA! It was my fault for using the wrong tool for the job. I love my Circuit. It carries better than any pack I've ever had. I also purchased this one at a store, Nomad Venture's in Joshua Tree. They offer great customer service, too. After I thrashed my pack they repaired it at a very reasonable cost.

Venchka
11-03-2017, 16:31
Because after I took it down Gorin's Gully on the way to El Picahco del Diablo it was thrashed. Both hip belt pockets were ripped out, and gashes and tears in the main pack body.

No fault of ULA! It was my fault for using the wrong tool for the job. I love my Circuit. It carries better than any pack I've ever had. I also purchased this one at a store, Nomad Venture's in Joshua Tree. They offer great customer service, too. After I thrashed my pack they repaired it at a very reasonable cost.
Thank you. I'm too old to attempt something like that. I guess there's Off Trail and then there's WAY OFF TRAIL.
I totally agree that the ULA Catalyst carried like a dream come true while I had it.
Cheers!
Wayne