PDA

View Full Version : Hotel recommendation for Carlisle?

flemdawg1
10-18-2017, 17:25
Looks like there are several near the trail. Was there one you like? Extra points for a good free breakfast and near a decent dinner place.

eriksprince
10-18-2017, 21:50
Two years ago I stayed at the Days Inn about 1/4 mile off the trail on Rt 11. It was easy enough to walk there. It is a basic hotel but did the trick. They do have free breakfast. I also ate dinner at the Middlesex dinner right next door. I remember there being a lot on the menu and the food was good. I'd stay there again.
The Hampton Inn about a miles down the road is probably nicer but you might need a ride since the road can be quite busy.

Aloss
10-18-2017, 21:58
The Super 8, Comfort Inn and Days Inn, all within ~.5 MI of the trail have free breakfast. Your dinner options are most likely the Middlesex Diner unless you wana go more than a mile to the McDonald's.

Christoph
10-19-2017, 22:57
All I can say about the Carlisle area is make sure you don't run into one of the car events (there's a major car event once a month, every month). You will not get a reservation and if by chance you do, it'll be very pricey. You can Google Carlisle schedules for car events and plan around that.

Starchild
10-20-2017, 08:07
You may be better off in Boiling Springs, or Duncannon, Both are AT trail towns each with their own special charm (Boiling Springs is very nice), and trail angle good will help, Carlilse is just a illegal path to a busy highway rest stop area.

Old Grouse
10-20-2017, 08:57
Its name notwithstanding, I don't recommend the Appalachian Motor Inn. It's a truck stop. Better than nothing, but no bargain.

flemdawg1
10-20-2017, 11:30
You may be better off in Boiling Springs, or Duncannon, Both are AT trail towns each with their own special charm (Boiling Springs is very nice), and trail angle good will help, Carlilse is just a illegal path to a busy highway rest stop area.

Yeah I was going to Duncannon the next day, and I was wanting to avoid doing 18 Miles to Darlington Shelter. Haven't decided yet.

joefryfry
10-20-2017, 11:37
I stayed at the Days Inn. They are hiker friendly and I believe I paid a "hiker rate" Ask them about it. There is a "path" down to the highway from the AT on the north side of the trail bridge. It is probably trespassing, but I couldn't imagine anyone ever gets in trouble for it. I just used it like it was meant to be used.

PilotB
10-21-2017, 06:36
Allenberry Resort in Boiling Springs. Boiling Springs Tavern for all of your other needs like homemade pie and cold beer. Both worth every penny.

joefryfry
10-21-2017, 09:03
Allenberry Resort in Boiling Springs. Boiling Springs Tavern for all of your other needs like homemade pie and cold beer. Both worth every penny.

How long has it been since you looked into Allenberry Resort?

JohnAndDar
10-21-2017, 09:14
Allenberry Resort has changed ownership and has gone through extensive renovations. They no longer offer a hiker rate, per a posting on the bulletin board at the Boiling Springs ATC office.