PDA

View Full Version : New Shoe Time

Gambit McCrae
10-19-2017, 08:52
Looking for some opinions on different Altra options
I have chewed up 2 pair of Lone Peaks- 2.5 and 3.0. I enjoyed the 2.5's but I enjoyed the 3.0's more.
What brings me to love the LPs is the foot box. But on this last 237 mile walk I said many times to myself, man I wish these had a little more cushion, but then again, who wouldn't want the most cushion that they could have? So below are the items I am looking at as replacements for my LP 3.0s. I am open to other brands if they can compete with the same wide toe box, but I am pretty darn happy with the brand itself so mainly looking for opinions on what is listed below

Lone Peak 3.5's (https://www.altrarunning.com/men/mens-lone-peak-35)

Timps (https://www.altrarunning.com/men/altra-timp)

Olympus 2.5's (https://www.altrarunning.com/men/altra-olympus-25)

For the LP 3.5's they come with the rock guard, however the other 2 do not so I would be interested in ideas on that since I cant seem to find the Altra Rock Guard anymore.

nsherry61
10-19-2017, 09:25
My Olympus shoes have a rock guard in them. They're great on flat ground, but with their thicker soles, I find I twist my ankles way to much on rocky uneven terrain when wearing them. They have been relegated to my daily wear, not trail wear.

I have an older pair of Lone Peak 2.5's that have a rock guard, are great on the trail, but are not padded enough for my everyday wear.

I have a new pair of Lone Peak 3.5's which seam to have enough or firm enough padding to work as daily wear shoes, but are also fantastic on the trail. I like them a lot.

As for rock guards, I have no use for a trail shoe without them! The Altra rock guards ROCK!

Finally, FWIW, Altra does sell their StoneGuards as separate pieces (https://www.altrarunning.com/men/mens-stoneguard) that can be placed under the insole of any of their shoes. I haven't tried these aftermarket stone guards, but, they might open up a whole lot of shoe choice for some people.

JC13
10-19-2017, 09:28
I use the King MTs currently so that is the opposite direction of where you are looking but I would suggest reading the reviews on the Olympus 2.5's on Altras site. It seems from what I read yesterday that there were several people who did not like the Olympus 2.5's. Apparently Altra made some changes that long time Olympus users did not like. Just something to consider.

Gambit McCrae
10-19-2017, 09:35
I use the King MTs currently so that is the opposite direction of where you are looking but I would suggest reading the reviews on the Olympus 2.5's on Altras site. It seems from what I read yesterday that there were several people who did not like the Olympus 2.5's. Apparently Altra made some changes that long time Olympus users did not like. Just something to consider.

I saw that which kinda sent me back in the direction of LP's but would really like more padding in my shoe. However, with how the LP's have treated me, I know I cant go wrong with them.

JC13
10-19-2017, 09:50
Definitely a hard call. Does REI accept used shoe returns? I know they do for defects but I wonder if the I used it for x number of hikes and don't like them would apply.

If they don't that's a $150 experiment. I do see the 2.0's for $70-80 on the internet, makes for a much cheaper experiment. If you then like the 2.0's, you would need to stock up before they are gone.

saltysack
10-19-2017, 10:00
So far I like the Timps...limited trail use thus far...toe box seems good bit wider than LP 3.5....tried Olympus 2.5 but didn’t care for them....I’m hoping they hold up better than my 3 previous pairs of LP’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
10-19-2017, 10:12
. . . Does REI accept used shoe returns? I know they do for defects but I wonder if the I used it for x number of hikes and don't like them would apply. . .
Satisfaction guaranteed for one year. To answer the question, YES. To answer it with a bit more context, yes, but the assumption is that they are being returned because the member/customer is unhappy with the product (i.e. the shoe did not perform adequately for the particular feet), not because the member/customer wants to exploit the return policy for free pairs of shoes in exchange for old used ones. So, REI does have some kind of a caveat that a product that has seen a reasonable life is not returnable for a full refund.

JC13
10-19-2017, 10:16
Satisfaction guaranteed for one year. To answer the question, YES. To answer it with a bit more context, yes, but the assumption is that they are being returned because the member/customer is unhappy with the product (i.e. the shoe did not perform adequately for the particular feet), not because the member/customer wants to exploit the return policy for free pairs of shoes in exchange for old used ones. So, REI does have some kind of a caveat that a product that has seen a reasonable life is not returnable for a full refund.Makes sense, sounds like this might be the option for Gambit then if he wants to take them for a test drive then. I would assume he would know yes or no on keeping them after one good section hike.

Gambit McCrae
10-19-2017, 10:25
Im thinkin ill shoot the gap. The timps sound too good to be true, the Olympus seems to be like walking on stalettos. Ill try my 3rd version of LPs at the 3.5 level.

saltysack
10-19-2017, 10:29
Im thinkin ill shoot the gap. The timps sound too good to be true, the Olympus seems to be like walking on stalettos. Ill try my 3rd version of LPs at the 3.5 level.

Reach out to Lint, he has been putting some miles on the Timps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
10-19-2017, 10:35
May be silly but, have you tried a thicker sock? I get a noticeable difference between the DT hiker micro crew cushion and their boot sock.

Gambit McCrae
10-19-2017, 10:57
May be silly but, have you tried a thicker sock? I get a noticeable difference between the DT hiker micro crew cushion and their boot sock.

I have 15 pair of Smartwool PhD mediums hanging in the hiking closet ready for use. lol I love my PhD socks