PDA

View Full Version : Hammock for tall folks

billisnice
10-20-2017, 23:12
I am 6'2" what hammock works best for me to side sleep?

Hatchet_1697
10-20-2017, 23:37
In general, your height plus 4 feet, but longer gives a flatter lay. I’m 6’ and greatly prefer 11’ hammocks.

Here’s some good advice.

https://beardedhanger.com/pages/how-to-choose-a-hammock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feral Bill
10-21-2017, 01:06
I am normally a side sleeper. In a hammock I sleep best on my back. You may too. At 6'3" I plan to buy a new hammock at 11'.

orthofingers
10-21-2017, 07:09
Many like the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC for those of us over 6' tall. Depending on your weight, they make it in different strength materials with either a single or double layer construction. Double layer is especially useful if you want to use a pad under you. It doesn't shift around much. Also double layer helps keep the skeeters from biting through the bottom.

grubbster
10-21-2017, 07:26
Side sleeper you may want to go with a bridge hammock. PM Just Bill and he can answer any questions as to length.

billisnice
10-21-2017, 11:09
I tried to sleep sideways in an ENO doublenest. I could not find a sweet spot.

nsherry61
10-22-2017, 10:54
Side sleeper you may want to go with a bridge hammock. PM Just Bill and he can answer any questions as to length.

I tried to sleep sideways in an ENO doublenest. I could not find a sweet spot.
I'm 6'4" side sleeper and I hate bridge hammocks I don't find them anywhere near as comfortable as a regular gathered end hammock. I can sleep well in an ENO double-nest, NOT a single nest with my length. So, probably knowing it will take some experimentation and the first few tries might fail, is good to know.

grubbster
10-22-2017, 11:51
I'm 6'4" side sleeper and I hate bridge hammocks I don't find them anywhere near as comfortable as a regular gathered end hammock. I can sleep well in an ENO double-nest, NOT a single nest with my length. So, probably knowing it will take some experimentation and the first few tries might fail, is good to know.
Exactly, it would be best to head over to hammock forums and poke around there to find a group hang nearby. Trying several different setups is the best way to get headed down the correct path.

Hatchet_1697
10-22-2017, 12:13
+1 on Hammock Forums. Check out Dutchware’s Chameleon, 11’ with pull-outs, options you can add on as needed. I’m short at 6’ and sleep great in mine... in fact, some mornings it’s a hard decision between laying in it and getting my hike on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OutdoorsMan
10-22-2017, 20:49
I am 6'3" and sleep often (at home and less often on the trail) in a WBB XLC DL. I don't sleep as well anywhere else. The only minor issue I have is that the bugnet pushes my right foot inwards a little bit (it's head left, feet right). If I cross my right foot over my left or cock either knee a bit it's not an issue.

scrabbler
10-22-2017, 21:33
MYOG WBB clone, works great at 6'2".

jboggg
10-26-2017, 23:25
I am 6’ 5” side sleeper and the War Bonnett Ridge Runner Bridge Hammock works great for me. The spreader bars make it a little heavier than a typical gathered end hammock, but the great nights sleep makes it more than worth it to pack a few extra ounces. The built in bug net works great. I use the bug net in winter as well to keep my top quilt from falling off during the night.

Old Hiker
10-27-2017, 11:21
6'2" here.

I have an older Clark Jungle Hammock to side sleep in. Only in the coldest nights (below 25* or so) does my right knee get chilly, but I can pull my sleeping bag around to keep warm.

However, tried to sleep in it when I got back from my 2016 thru and found I was no longer comfortable with it wrapped around me, even with the CCF pad under me to spread it out. Weird.

Just Bill
10-27-2017, 12:43
I am 6'2" what hammock works best for me to side sleep?
Try the ridgerunner first if you go the bridge route.

If that doesn't work- then email me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtk124SLFEo&t=58s

jboggg
10-27-2017, 15:59
Nice video and great looking bridge hammock Just Bill! Looks super versatile. I haven’t seen a bridge before where one can lay full fetal position comfortably, much less something that would work for a stomach sleeper. I will definitely keep this option in mind for the future. Well done!

Just Bill
10-27-2017, 16:32
Nice video and great looking bridge hammock Just Bill! Looks super versatile. I haven’t seen a bridge before where one can lay full fetal position comfortably, much less something that would work for a stomach sleeper. I will definitely keep this option in mind for the future. Well done!
Thanks! Been super fun working on this one.
That's the 'Luxury Bridge' goes to 250lbs. The 'Big Guy' goes to 350+ so this was designed to have some room, lol.

Yar... consensus seems to be this is the only hammock you can belly sleep in. Though a few folks say the Amok Dramor works in belly sleep mode... that's a monster, lol.
The one in the video with Carbon Fiber Poles is about 21 ounces. Even the Big Guy is a relatively light 2lbs 4 ounces.

But the micro and medium bridges are probably what folks here might be interested in.
I'm prototyping a new medium bridge... came out at 12.9 ounces for a full sized bridge. I think that'll be more interesting than the FKT minded micro for most folks.

I've got a bad back and shoulder, so even in the comfiest bed in the world I need to change positions often... makes me think of these a bit differently, lol.

Mainly people at WB might find it exciting to see how fat I am. :banana