PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best trail you have hiked in the southeast region?

mondata
10-21-2017, 13:37
Looking for an area to hike for a 2-3 day trip in the coming week. Would prefer a trail that is not going to be cover up with folks.

Thanks - TM

johnspenn
10-21-2017, 14:06
The Cohutta/Big Fog wilderness, N GA / S TN. Lots of trails, you can create your own route going as far as you want from day-to-day. Largest designated wilderness area east of the Mississippi.

swisscross
10-21-2017, 14:17
Pinhoti...mileage?

mondata
10-21-2017, 14:33
30-40 miles. I have done the Pinhoti. I was thinking a little further norther. Maybe TN/NC area. I have done some hiking in Pisgah as well.

BlackCloud
10-21-2017, 14:42
North Fork Mountain Trail in WVA hands down. And you'll have the place to yourself, I promise. Best to have a high clearance vehicle.

https://www.hikingupward.com/mnf/northforkmountain/

BlackCloud
10-21-2017, 14:43
Well actually, if you do the whole thing at once a car will be fine. If you want to hit a trailhead in the middle to stash water best to have something more.

Last Call
10-21-2017, 16:11
The Foothills Trail is under-rated. I would also consider the Black Creek Trail in Southern Mississippi.

saltysack
10-21-2017, 17:43
FHT is a nice trail with lots of waterfalls. Solid 3-4 day 77 mile trip...easy shuttle and logistics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
10-21-2017, 18:03
I don't know much about trails in Tbe SE in general... but I've been doing 2-3 day hikes in Great Smoky Mountains National Park for decades and can make several suggestions depending upon your interests.

An example loop I'll toss out is to park at either the Abrams Falls or Gregory Ridge Trailhead. Start your hike with a walk down to Abrams Falls. If you start at Gregory Ridge, it's a 3 mile road walk to the Abrams Falls Trailhead. You can expect to see lots of people at the falls (my personal favorite falls in the whole park). But you will soon find solitude went you continue hiking past the falls. After about a mile, you turn left onto the Hanna Mtn trail staring with a ford of Abrams Creek. There are two campsite along Hanna Mtb to choose to stay at your 1st night. The 2nd day, continue along Hanna Mtn trail and you will eventually cross the currently closed Parsons Branch road and the trail changes to Gregory Bald trail. 4 miles later you will arrive at your camp spot for the second night, #13, my favorite in the whole park. Once you've set up camp, grab your dinner and stove and hike the 1/3 mile trail to Gregory Bald for dinner. Most visitors to Gregory Bald are either day hikers that are usually at the bald around lunch, or hikers staying at #13 who already crossed the bald and are unlikely to return for dinner. While not always the case, I enjoyed several dinners alone at the bald. The last day, cross the bald and pickup Gregory Ridge Trail to finish the loop.

mondata
10-21-2017, 19:55
The Foothills Trail is under-rated. I would also consider the Black Creek Trail in Southern Mississippi.

Which section of the foothills trail would you recommend?

mondata
10-21-2017, 19:56
FHT is a nice trail with lots of waterfalls. Solid 3-4 day 77 mile trip...easy shuttle and logistics

Whats the best 30-35 mile section of that trail if you had to choose?

MuddyWaters
10-21-2017, 20:17
Whats the best trail you have hiked in the southeast region?

I would say you have to define your definition of "best"

Overall, for sheer uninterrupted trail, wilderness, chance of seeing bears, and some really good views, Id give the nod to AT thru GSMNP.

I saw the least people on the Ozark Highlands Trail. Except thanksgiving break when you might see scout troops, its pretty sparse Nov-mar, prime time.

Tundracamper
10-21-2017, 20:52
http://tnstateparks.com/parks/activity-detail/south-cumberland-hiking

Tundracamper
10-21-2017, 20:54
http://tnstateparks.com/parks/activity-detail/south-cumberland-hiking

The Savage Gulf Rim Trail and the Fiery Gizzard are both great. Beautiful overlooks on the rim loop. Collins loop is also very scenic.

Drybones
10-21-2017, 21:11
Roan Highlands section of the A.T.
Loop hike the Linville Gorge...some great views and rock formations
Foothills Trail

hopetofinish
10-21-2017, 21:33
If you're looking for a less traveled trail, check out the Bartram Trail. Last time out, some yrs ago, didn't see anyone for 3 days.

HooKooDooKu
10-21-2017, 21:52
Overall, for sheer uninterrupted trail, wilderness, chance of seeing bears, and some really good views, Id give the nod to AT thru GSMNP.
The problem there is that if you only have three days, there's no great choices.

You have to decide if you want to either do a short out and back, a loop where the AT is only a small part of the loop, or pay for an expensive shuttle.

Now if you don't have to be exclusive to the AT, perhaps the best way to follow this suggestion would be to park at Cosby front country camp ground and get a shuttle to New Found Gap. It won't be a cheap shuttle, buy it will be a lot less than someone wanting a shuttle from Fontana Dam or Davenport Gap to New Found Gap. Many of the shuttle companies home base is between Gatlinburg and Cosby area, so the initial pickup is just a drive down 321 to get you from Cosby.

Newfound Gap to Cosby is definitely doable in 3 days. The biggest issue is how to start, because you have to combine the shuttle with your 1st day's hike. But the 1st shelter is only a little more than 3 miles from the trailhead, and the second one is about 11 miles from the trailhead. But if you can get an early enough start to get to the 2nd shelter, it should be easy enough to make it to Cosby Knob shelter the 2nd night, giving you enough time the third day to hike out to Mt Cammerer lookout tower before doubling back to exit at Cosby campground.

mondata
10-21-2017, 22:00
The problem there is that if you only have three days, there's no great choices.

You have to decide if you want to either do a short out and back, a loop where the AT is only a small part of the loop, or pay for an expensive shuttle.

Now if you don't have to be exclusive to the AT, perhaps the best way to follow this suggestion would be to park at Cosby front country camp ground and get a shuttle to New Found Gap. It won't be a cheap shuttle, buy it will be a lot less than someone wanting a shuttle from Fontana Dam or Davenport Gap to New Found Gap. Many of the shuttle companies home base is between Gatlinburg and Cosby area, so the initial pickup is just a drive down 321 to get you from Cosby.

Newfound Gap to Cosby is definitely doable in 3 days. The biggest issue is how to start, because you have to combine the shuttle with your 1st day's hike. But the 1st shelter is only a little more than 3 miles from the trailhead, and the second one is about 11 miles from the trailhead. But if you can get an early enough start to get to the 2nd shelter, it should be easy enough to make it to Cosby Knob shelter the 2nd night, giving you enough time the third day to hike out to Mt Cammerer lookout tower before doubling back to exit at Cosby campground.

I should have been more specific in my original post. I am not looking to hike any part of the AT. I have done a good bit of hiking in the the southeast but there are always sections of trails that I forget about or have never thought about. I am taking 6 guys on a backpacking trip the first weekend in November. I was planning on doing a 32 mile stretch in the Big South Fork but I wanted to have a backup trail in case of bad weather. Things I am interested in are views, interesting geological features and plenty of water. Not so much tons of water crossings but just ample water for drinking. Also I prefer to avoid areas that do not allow fires.

Thanks for all the input so far!

mondata
10-21-2017, 22:04
Yeah I have done both of these trails and they are great. The Savage gulf can get crowded at times.

NC Hiker/Angler
10-21-2017, 22:08
Art Loeb Trail near Brevard NC is 30 miles. Fantastic trail.

mondata
10-21-2017, 22:11
Art Loeb Trail near Brevard NC is 30 miles. Fantastic trail.

Yeah been wanting to do this trail for a while. The only downside is there is no easy way to get to the north side. Takes a long time drop a vehicle then drive back at the southern terminus of the trail. Also that trail is hit fairly hard that time of year. Was there last year during the same week and they had a huge mountain biking race. The mountain biking near Brevard is insane.

red5
10-22-2017, 04:47
This is for the Foothills Trail. The very best 30 mile stretch is Laurel Fork Creek to Whitewater Falls. It comes out at right around 30 miles. You could probably add a few miles if you choose an access point before or after these two access points.

globetruck
10-22-2017, 08:36
Sipsey wilderness in northern AL is beautiful and this is the best time of year. Spring brings rain and flooded unfordable streams. Summer is oppressively hot. Call is perfect! Rippey cabin, lots of caves, waterfalls, cool rock formations.

saltysack
10-22-2017, 08:53

I cant recall trail head or parking info but I enjoyed most sections esp the first section along the chattooga river and last 15-20 miles into table rock. Try Jim for info and shuttle or check out fht website.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171022/34c473f169874d72788c820b9bd54ad2.jpg

rafe
10-22-2017, 09:00
Pinging Tipi Walter...

HooKooDooKu
10-22-2017, 11:39
I should have been more specific in my original post. I am not looking to hike any part of the AT. I have done a good bit of hiking in the the southeast but there are always sections of trails that I forget about or have never thought about. I am taking 6 guys on a backpacking trip the first weekend in November. I was planning on doing a 32 mile stretch in the Big South Fork but I wanted to have a backup trail in case of bad weather. Things I am interested in are views, interesting geological features and plenty of water. Not so much tons of water crossings but just ample water for drinking. Also I prefer to avoid areas that do not allow fires.

Thanks for all the input so far!
This stretch of the AT pretty much has everything you are looking for... great views (6 to 8 spots immediately jump to mind), geological features at Charlie's bunion and some of the sections of trail along the ridge line, and water at every shelter as well as some other places... it just so happens that this section of trail in GSMNP doubles as the AT.

One other note... come November, all the leaf peepers are gone from GSMNP. Early November is a great time to hike the Smokies. However, you would need to prepare for temperatures falling near or possibly below freezing in GSMNP high country this time of year.