PDA

View Full Version : Inflate your Neoair pad with a compactor trash bag - cool trick!

somers515
10-24-2017, 13:39
Most on this website probably already knew this trick but I didn't so I'm posting in case it helps someone else like me.

During my LT hike I mentioned to another hiker that the only camp chore I didn't like was taking so long to blow up my neoair pad. She noticed that I already was carrying a compactor trash bag and suggested I search youtube because there is a way to inflate the neoair with the trash bag. I didn't initially find it on a quick search but yesterday I was thinking about my hike and searched again and found this youtube video. I tried it out and it works great. I love that it's so simple and requires no extra gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E

Crossup
10-24-2017, 17:02
I ran across that idea posted here a few days ago. I can also suggest those not counting grams to buy a BA Pumphouse Ultra, theyre pretty handy multi use tool- air pump, water bag, dry sack, pillow, shower bag and no doubt more.

saltysack
10-24-2017, 21:07
Agree with ya...I hate blowing up the large neoair pads! I tried this several years back with compactor and nylaflume bags, I end up going back to using my mouth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
10-24-2017, 21:44
Saw this video several years ago (or one almost identical to it). I tried it, I basically had a problem trying to get a 2' hole to blow air into a 1" hole without too much leakage. I also had an organizational issue because I like to inflate my pad to place inside my tent BEFORE I pull my sleeping bag and cloths out of the liner bag to put on the floor of the tent.

So I started using a dedicated kitchen garbage bag... cut off the top that holds the cinch straps and the bag weights almost nothing. But again had issues trying to get a 2' hole to seal around a 1" hole. So I put a hole in the bottom corner of the bag just big enough to push the sleeping pad's valve thru. Then held the pad to the bag by wrapping a rubber band around them.

But I soon grew weary of dealing with the rubber bands and moved up to the NeoAir Air Tap (https://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest-airtrap-pump-kit) to make it easy to connect he bag to the pad. It only takes exercising some care to with the bag to get it to last a whole season.

My final result is a dedicated air pump easy to use and weighing less than 2oz.