PDA

View Full Version : Capsulitis of the second toe

cmven
10-24-2017, 17:26
I was diagnosed with capsulitis of the 2nd toe a few years ago. I reduced my long runs, and day hiking didn't bother me much. Recently did a ten day backpack in the Sierras as a shakeout hike for my 2018 thru hike. My toe/foot was so painful, I was taking 3 or 4 naproxen every day. I know I can't do that every day for 6 months, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with capsulitis and can recommend treatment or what type of doctor to see besides a podiatrist?

orthofingers
10-25-2017, 11:31
If it is truly capsulitis, some type of NSAIDs are probably your best bet. If you're not confident with the answers you got from the podiatrist, maybe go see an orthopod and maybe also talk to a gastroenterologist to see what your better options would be for a 5-6 month thru hike.

Suzzz
10-25-2017, 14:48
and maybe also talk to a gastroenterologist to see what your better options would be for a 5-6 month thru hike.

I don't know much about capsulitis but I'm curious to know how a gastroenterologist could help. Is it related to digestive problems?

rocketsocks
10-25-2017, 15:49
Could be da gout!

Seatbelt
10-26-2017, 12:17
Could be da gout!
I was thinking this as well having had a round or two with it. Diet corrections/adjustments helped me.

rocketsocks
10-26-2017, 15:23
I was thinking this as well having had a round or two with it. Diet corrections/adjustments helped me.I didn’t know this till pretty recently, but gout can affect the ackles and knees as well as the toes and feet.

orthofingers
10-26-2017, 22:36
Sorry for the confusion. I recommended the gastroenterologist to give you advice on which anti inflammatory Rx and what dosage schedule would have the least GI side effects when used for an extended hike.

rocketsocks
10-27-2017, 03:30
Sorry for the confusion. I recommended the gastroenterologist to give you advice on which anti inflammatory Rx and what dosage schedule would have the least GI side effects when used for an extended hike.
Gotcha, good call. I’ve had good luck with the cox2 inhibitors like Bextra. Vioxx they pulled off the market.

Suzzz
10-27-2017, 17:36
Aaaaaaah! Makes sense.