PDA

View Full Version : Gambit’s Beef Jerky Video Tutorial

Gambit McCrae
10-24-2017, 18:28
https://youtu.be/RVkBth8RVe4

Maineiac64
10-24-2017, 20:16
Thanks. Lots of great tips. Will try your recipe soon for sure. I looked for dales sauce at costco, no joy.

Just Tom
10-25-2017, 09:57
Very cool!

orthofingers
10-25-2017, 11:10
Good advice about how to slice the meat vs. grain orientation. For my marinade, I use a bottle of soy sauce and a half bottle of liquid smoke. Or, you can use low sodium soy sauce but, like you, I think the regular soy sauce makes a better jerky. I don't worry too much about salt intake when I'm exerting myself.

lesliedgray
10-26-2017, 12:51
Good advice about how to slice the meat vs. grain orientation. For my marinade, I use a bottle of soy sauce and a half bottle of liquid smoke. Or, you can use low sodium soy sauce but, like you, I think the regular soy sauce makes a better jerky. I don't worry too much about salt intake when I'm exerting myself.

I can't find Dale's either.. good to know of another marinade recipe.. what else do you add besides liquid smoke and soy? Any other spices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
10-26-2017, 13:15
here is a dales option online: Dales Seasoning
(https://www.google.com/search?q=DALES+SEASONING&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjjLng5I7XAhWEHZAKHaTFDVAQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=604#spd=7029018008675068557&spf=1509038040853)
Another good liquid marinade is Allegros (https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=allegros+marinade&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir_JL-5I7XAhUCFJAKHbhUADsQBQjpAigA&biw=1280&bih=604).

^^Links above to buy both online^^

methodman
10-26-2017, 13:50
Try Walmart. They carry it online.

methodman
10-26-2017, 13:51
That is both Dales and Allegro.

RockDoc
10-27-2017, 23:35
Dale's is not a healthy product IMO. Soy, corn syrup, sugar, MSG. No need for those. Borderline toxic.
Why not just use pepper, garlic powder, and salt?

Really, I make jerky all the time with no sugar. It tastes like meat, not candy. How it should be...

orthofingers
10-28-2017, 04:58
what else do you add besides liquid smoke and soy? Any other spices?

No. Just a bottle of soy sauce and half a bottle of liquid smoke but you could add whatever tastes good to you.

Believe it or not, I first heard that recipe from an infomercial with Ron Popiel (Yes, that Ron Popiel of the Popiel Pocket Fisherman and a hundred other infomercial products.) while he was selling some must-have cooker, smoker, broiler, dehydrator table top appliance.

one word of caution: when dehydrating this recipe indoors, the liquid smoke makes the house smell like a campfire. SWMBO "prefers" that I dehydrate jerky out in the garage.

lesliedgray
10-28-2017, 11:13
No. Just a bottle of soy sauce and half a bottle of liquid smoke but you could add whatever tastes good to you.

Believe it or not, I first heard that recipe from an infomercial with Ron Popiel (Yes, that Ron Popiel of the Popiel Pocket Fisherman and a hundred other infomercial products.) while he was selling some must-have cooker, smoker, broiler, dehydrator table top appliance.

one word of caution: when dehydrating this recipe indoors, the liquid smoke makes the house smell like a campfire. SWMBO "prefers" that I dehydrate jerky out in the garage.

Good tidbit about the smell... thanks.

swisscross
10-28-2017, 14:32
Dale's is not a healthy product IMO. Soy, corn syrup, sugar, MSG. No need for those. Borderline toxic.
Why not just use pepper, garlic powder, and salt?

Really, I make jerky all the time with no sugar. It tastes like meat, not candy. How it should be...

Dales is nasty stuff, Beyond salty. No idea how it has become so popular here (made in my home town) or elsewhere. The family attempted a restaurant a few years ago, it failed.
I prefer peppery marinade for my jerky.

Gambit McCrae
12-04-2017, 16:30
Gambit just bought a jerky gun...This will be used to make the "ground beef" Jerky often seen commercially vaccum sealed with a stick of cheese...As this is one of my favorite trail snacks, the beef stick and cheese combo so I am very excited to be able to recreate this as a homade version now for hiking trips :)