PDA

View Full Version : Reserving Shelters

Biscuit in GA
10-25-2017, 10:59
Where can I call to reserve the shelter at Plumorchard Gap? Thanks for the help!

SouthMark
10-25-2017, 11:50
Reservations not required except in the Smokies and Shenandoah and huts in the Whites. First come everywhere else.

Gambit McCrae
10-25-2017, 12:10
Reservations not required except in the Smokies and Shenandoah and huts in the Whites. First come everywhere else.

You sure about SNP?? When I went thru there 2 years ago it was a free permit for the park, first come first served on shelters

Bronk
10-25-2017, 13:47
You should also understand that you probably won't get the whole shelter to yourself even if you show up first. You get one bunk space. If there are 4 people in your party then you get 4 spaces. Anybody else who shows up is free to occupy spaces left open. This is not like places where you rent a cabin or rent a pavilion to hold a family reunion. Its first come, first serve, space available. You will likely be sharing your accommodations with complete strangers.

Biscuit in GA
10-25-2017, 15:14
Oh, definitely! Yes, I understand, one person per slot. We just had to reserve shelters when we went through GSMNP, and I thought that might be the case here, but glad to see it's first come first served. My husband and I are packing a tent just in case, but we're hoping to shelter for most of our trip. Thanks!

Lone Wolf
10-25-2017, 15:28
Where can I call to reserve the shelter at Plumorchard Gap? Thanks for the help!

first come, first served. and no, thru-hikers do not have priority

SouthMark
10-25-2017, 16:24
You sure about SNP?? When I went thru there 2 years ago it was a free permit for the park, first come first served on shelters

My bad. I was thinking of the backcountry permits not reservations. Thanks for the catch.

GoldenBear
10-25-2017, 16:30
You CAN reserve cabins within Shenandoah NP. The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club rents cabins along their section of The Trail, including some in SNP:

http://www.patc.net/PATC/Cabins/Where_They_Are/PATC/Cabins/Where_They_Are.aspx?hkey=2f63a576-c18c-4600-9471-4111050834b7
http://www.patc.net/PATC/Cabins/Reserve.aspx

However, shelters are first come, first served.