PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Couples?

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 14:38
Any other couples planning on hitting the trail together in 07? My wife (Aimless) and I have been trying to get our hike off the ground for a little over 5 years now. We finally have secured someone we can trust to watch our pets... it seems like a miracle we a finally counting down to a real start date!!!!

hammock engineer
02-06-2006, 14:44
I'm not a couple, and thru hiking this summer. But check out this thread on a workshop in Columbus on Thursday.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12462

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 15:43
I'm not a couple, and thru hiking this summer. But check out this thread on a workshop in Columbus on Thursday.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12462

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately I have class and 2 meetings all on Thursday night :)

ZZXF
02-08-2006, 16:24
With each day that passes, my husband and I get closer to saying we are definitively hiking in 2007. We're both pretty burnt out with work and have been dreaming of doing the AT 'some day' for quite some time. So, over the last few months we've invested quite a bit of time figuring out how to do it without totally trashing our careers. My husband's plan of getting into grad school and then quitting his job seems pretty air tight. My plan has to be a bit more elaborate, but I'm starting to think maybe my career would be better off trashed :D . Hopefully we'll see you out there! We're currently considering a mid-February start date, depending on when my husband would need to be back for school.

Auntie Mame
02-08-2006, 20:39
My husband and I are set to do GA - ME '07. In our mid-fifties, have done a good deal of hiking over the years, and want to do this in the worst way! I have been out of the loop on Whiteblaze for a few weeks, distracted by those pesky life obligations we all want to leave behind as soon as possible. Keep posting, its good to meet folks before the start.:banana

chicote
02-15-2006, 16:34
My wife and I are planning on March 07. She's ready to start a new career and I'm due for a change. We don't have a house so everything will be in storage. I look forward to meeting you all on the trail.

HeartWalker
02-16-2006, 15:19
My wife and I, mid 50's also, will be hopefully going March 07. A lot of things to work out yet, building a new house, job,etc..But we are really getting excited about it. I am an avid hiker and she is a casual one but really wants to go with me and do this. Nice to know there will be some other couples out there. Particularly our age.

HeartWalker
02-16-2006, 15:26
My wife and are planning to sart March 07, we are in our mid 50s also. I am an avid hiker and she is a casual one but really wants to do this with me. Lots more planning and arrangements to make but we are definitely shooting for it and are very excited. Will be bringing our Flatcoated Retriever with us. Nice to know there will be other couples.

Mike & Gloria Walsh
02-16-2006, 22:07
Mike and I will start our thru hike in Feb 2007. We live in Auburn, Al. We have sectioned hiked from Springer to Pearisburg. Mike retired last year and I retire in 33 days.We can hardly wait until next year.

roxy33x
02-19-2006, 18:28
My husband and I are planning to thru hike in 07. I am currently 23 and he is 25. This has been a dream of mine since I was 19 and it has taken a long time to get our ducks in a row... so much planning!! Neither one of us are into our careers yet so we are cool with scrapping them. We sold our house five months ago to pay off debt, and we are still currenlty trying to pay off our last car, not to mention the mad cash we need to save up, its crazy!! The problem is that my husband has no real experience with overnite hiking... we would love to do a week long hike with someone this summer if any one is up for it! It would also be cool to get to know some other couples before we head out. It seems like so far away yet I have so little time to get prepared!

Aimless
02-19-2006, 20:38
My husband and I are planning to thru hike in 07. I am currently 23 and he is 25. This has been a dream of mine since I was 19 and it has taken a long time to get our ducks in a row... so much planning!! Neither one of us are into our careers yet so we are cool with scrapping them. We sold our house five months ago to pay off debt, and we are still currenlty trying to pay off our last car, not to mention the mad cash we need to save up, its crazy!! The problem is that my husband has no real experience with overnite hiking... we would love to do a week long hike with someone this summer if any one is up for it! It would also be cool to get to know some other couples before we head out. It seems like so far away yet I have so little time to get prepared!
Don't give up and keep pushing yourself to go in 2007! Aimless and I were in the same boat when we were 23... we got jinxed with a car break down then the expenses just kept adding up... now were finaly getting our chance 4 years later.

chicote
02-20-2006, 11:57

Roxy, we are in Charlotte too. We should get together sometime and talk about the hike and even do some hiking.

roxy33x
02-20-2006, 17:43
Mike and I are thinking of attending the Appalachain Trail Institute in Banner Elk, NC. It is from May 12-15 and it explors the pshycological, physical, and logistical aspects of thru hiking. The instructor is Warren Doyle who has walked the entire AT 14 times!! He claims a 75% success rate for those who have completed the corse. Since we really dont know what we are getting ourselves into, we plan to attend. There are many more workshops if anyone is interested... I received an informational packet including a list of them from the ATC.

chicote
02-22-2006, 12:03
Roxy,

Kel and I are definately interested in that workshop. could you pass the information along to us?

carolinahiker
03-05-2006, 16:55
my wife and myself f/56 m/52 are planning to go in feb 07 im an experienced hiker shes not but is very willing. Im just hopin she doesnt think im a pack mule although i do have kinda big fuzzy ears lol. email us [email protected] or [email protected]

Marta
03-05-2006, 19:15
! The problem is that my husband has no real experience with overnite hiking...

When I first moved to Charlotte (2000) and was trying to figure out gear for this climate, I did a number of overnighters at Crowders Mtn. and Kings Mtn. Very easy to do on a weekend from Charlotte, but you still have to haul in your stuff and see how it feels to carry it a mile or five or ten. (There's a ten-or-eleven-mile loop with a primitive backcountry campsite about five miles down the loop at Kings Mtn.) Once I had worked that out, I started ranging farther afield, and going longer. This summer I'm going for the big SOBO attempt...

Good luck, folks!

Marta

roxy33x
03-12-2006, 14:06
Coulples gear...

Does any one have recommendations for a 2person tent? I was looking at the Zoid 2 which weights appx. 4 lbs. I know that tarp tents are way light but they also arent too efficient for the AT. What do you think?

Also, do you couples take one stove, or two? Cause they are kinda expensive. What route did you go?

irritable_badger
03-12-2006, 17:33
Coulples gear...

Does any one have recommendations for a 2person tent? I was looking at the Zoid 2 which weights appx. 4 lbs. I know that tarp tents are way light but they also arent too efficient for the AT. What do you think?

Also, do you couples take one stove, or two? Cause they are kinda expensive. What route did you go?

For a superb two person tent check out the MSR Fling. I absolutely love mine! It's a single wall tent with a ton of room. Total packed weight including tent, stakes, lines, and ground cloth is a bit less than 4 lbs. It sets up super fast and easy and compresses well. The design is fantastic and I can't over emphasize the amount of usable space in this tent. My girlfriend and I both fit comfortably with all our gear inside and it still has enough space for two people to comfortably sit out a stormy day in the tent. Make sure to check one out at your outfitter before you make your tent purchase.

Here's the link: http://msrcorp.com/tents/fling.asp

Blissful
03-13-2006, 14:06
Coulples gear...

We got Henry Shire's Squall tarpent that fits 2 people. I used it this weekend and it was great in the high wind we had. Not sure why you think they are not efficient for the AT? In what way? They are light, durable. I have to test mine yet in the rain, but I love the idea of the bathtub floor.

As for stoves for 2, we're probably just going to go with the alcohol stove. Just plan on meals that don't take a great deal of cooking and stuff your face in the towns. ;)

simplehiker
03-13-2006, 14:45
We got Henry Shire's Squall tarpent that fits 2 people. I used it this weekend and it was great in the high wind we had. Not sure why you think they are not efficient for the AT? In what way? They are light, durable. I have to test mine yet in the rain, but I love the idea of the bathtub floor.

As for stoves for 2, we're probably just going to go with the alcohol stove. Just plan on meals that don't take a great deal of cooking and stuff your face in the towns. ;)

I have to echo this... 2/3 person tent depending on how big you two are.. I am 6'5'' so that jumps and and I up to a 3 person tent. And the extra weight isnt bad at all because we have 2 people carrying gear and we are pretty light weight all ready.

We currently use a large tarp but are upgrading to the 3 person tarp tent for bug protection. It will add a 1-1.5 pounds but it will be worth it.

Dont worry about stove(s) worry more about yer pot! Make sure you can cook the kinds of meals you two cook when backpacking and have enough food for a hungry 2 of you. Amy and I do a 2L pot and I have a very large ti mug that I can also cook food it. Work out your system. Check ouy brasslight.com for kick but stoves with NO fuss. The guy that owns it is great and he does this because he loves it. He will help you with any questions.

One big important thing to remember is WHAT IF 1 of your couple drops off the trail... Can you carry the weight of the shared gear? Do you have back up gear to ship 1 of you from home that is lighter... very important to work out all the what ifs when it comes to couples before the trail.

ZZXF
03-13-2006, 15:04
One soda can stove is fine for both me and my husband. We use a 2qt pot and often cook 2 lipton noodles packets and a chicken packet (like the tuna packets but with chicken, you can find them at some grocery stores). We bring the mixture to a boil, transfer the pot to a cozy, and let it sit for about double the time lipton says to cook the noodles. Works great, doesn't take much fuel. Part of the benefit of being a couple is you can share gear and so carry less weight!

gravityman
03-13-2006, 15:51
We thrued this past year with a Squall 2 tarp tent. Worked like a charm. Couldn't imagine a better tent for the AT.

Gravity

The General
03-13-2006, 19:27
We used a 2 person Henry Shires Tarptent on my 2004 Tru, I dont know the model as We bought it second hand in the outfitters in Damascus, it had no floor but I used Tyvec which did the job just fine. I was impressed with its performance in some serious rain and wind, better still it was light to carry. As for cooking I also replaced my way to heavy Primus Omni Fuel Stove and this also gave good and effecient service all the way to Katahdin.