PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Fleece

Hanger
02-06-2006, 15:14
I was just wondering if anyone else here owns a Beyond Fleece jacket? My BF jacket has been one of my favorite pieces of clothing for almost 4 years, but I have never seen another person with one. Maybe it's because it's more of a west coast company, and not that many people have heard of it. So anyone else have one?

kp9597
02-09-2006, 22:28
Love my Cold Fusion...got it at their semi-annual factory sale (an advantage of living about 5 blocks from the factory here in Eugene), was one that was made for the Navy SEALs and had a "problem" and couldn't be shipped. Had if for two years now, and after much use/abuse only "problem" i can find with it is that the loop by the tag that you would use to hang it up is only sewn on one end. I trade not being able to hang it up by the loop for the over $100 price break. Best jacket I've ever owned.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-10-2006, 09:49
I was just wondering if anyone else here owns a Beyond Fleece jacket? My BF jacket has been one of my favorite pieces of clothing for almost 4 years, but I have never seen another person with one. Maybe it's because it's more of a west coast company, and not that many people have heard of it. So anyone else have one?

I'm wearing one right now, shaking off the chill in the office. It's ok, but I doubt if I'd buy another when there's so many other brands available at reduced prices right off the shelf. They would be really great for someone who is very hard to fit.

tlbj6142
02-10-2006, 11:39
I think the biggest reason why you don't see too many of them is that softshells, in general, aren't all that useful (too heavy to use as an insulating gear, not wind/waterproof enought to be used a shell) except in very cold conditions (sub-20F). And many of the folks that do wear softshells probably don't know they are wearing a softshell, but bought the garment on looks and brandname alone (Arc'Teryx Gamma, SD, Cloudveil, IBEX, etc.).

So, BF's target market is very, very, very small. Folks that have odd size issues, or technical folks that don't care about brand, color, etc. and want to pick and choose the features on their jacket/pants. Just how many people fit into those categories?

I needed a softshell for winter trips and I seriously looked at BF. But I wasn't in a hurry to get the piece and didn't care all that much about features. I just wanted a particular fabric (Schoeller Dryskin Extreme) which they use in their Cold Play line. So, I just waited for Cloudveil to dump their gear on www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com) and picked up a $220 jacket for $90. The "same" jacket from BF would have cost me $150 (plus shipping).

I have no opinions on their product quality, but I suspect it is top rate.

Hanger
02-10-2006, 13:01
I don't have the soft shell, I have the Cold Blooded Fleece. tlbj6142, I agree with your statements on brand names, and that was a pretty sweet deal on that Cloudveil! I doubt I will ever get a soft shell simply b/c it doesn't really fit my clothing system preference when I backpack.

However, if I ever get another fleece I will definatly get another BF jacket. For the price you really can't beat what it does, unless some else could enlighten me. The Cold Blooded, is wind proof, highly water resistent (I've worn it in heavy rains and still kept dry and warm), and incredibly warm. In fact, the only complaint I have is that it is a little to warm and not as breathable as a light fleece, but that is why I opted to get the pit zips to provide some ventalation. A comparable jacket (unless purchased on sale) would we $20-50 more expensive. Of course, this is only based on my research when I purchased my fleece, and there may be some new product I haven't seen or heard of.

By the way, Beyond Fleece doesn't charge shipping on any of their products!

MisterSweetie
02-10-2006, 23:53
I would love to have a fleece that I designate where and what pockets I get, but Beyond Fleece is cost prohibitive for me. That's the only reason I don't have one.

irritable_badger
02-11-2006, 00:28
I am actually considering a BF Cold Blooded for my hike. I get really, really, cold when I'm sitting still so I thought the extra warmth would be nice. Is is not a good choice for the Trail? It seems to cover all the bases, warmth, windproof, and it fits me (i've got super long arms) but the cost is an issue if it's not the best for the job. Thoughts?

tlbj6142
02-11-2006, 08:24
Fleeces are great for keeping you warm, but they can be much heavier and bulky (in your pack) than something like a synthetic pullover (like the MEC Northern Lite Pullover (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 7481&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699079&bmUID=1139660408930), Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover (http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=500396&sku=83981&ws=false&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id=) or the DIY kit for the Kennebec (http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=mg132&subcat=Kits) from thru-hiker).

The MEC Northern Lite is currently $59 CDN. Add $5 CDN for your "membership" and you get a great jacket, or pullover, for an excellent price.

tlbj6142
02-11-2006, 08:30
I don't have the soft shell, I have the Cold Blooded Fleece.I could call the Cold Blooded is a soft shell as it does more than "insulate" having a windbloc layer. But, then, there isn't really a true definition of soft shell. Which allows manufactures to abuse the term at will.

Hanger
02-11-2006, 14:17
tlbj6142 is right that fleeces are heavier and bulkier. The Cold Blooded weighs ~24oz, which is a bit heavy. The reason I bring by Cold Blooded along in cold weather is because the extra ~24oz doesn't really matter to me when by enitre back for weighs 21 lbs. with 3 days of food. So if weight and compressiblity is an issue, then maybe one should go with tlbj6142's suggestions.

I can definatly attest to the warm of the Cold Blooded. The BF website states that it will take you down to 15 degrees, and I beleive it. I have used my Cold Blooded in the teens and with considerably wind (it is 100% windproof), and stayed perfectly comfortable. I trust the CB to keep me warm. Also, as a said early, I have yet to find another waterproof fleece. However, I would not say that the CB is the best jacket to hike in. You will get hot very quickly and end up having to take it off, even in very cold conditions. Usually though the way I've gotten around that is to leave the jacket unzipped and put my arms through the pit-zips, turning it into a vest. I'll still eventually get hot, but it's much more comfortable. For these reasons, I'm thinking about getting the Cloud Cap. It is rated for 25 degrees, it's 98% windproof, it's water resistent, and it's 7oz. lighter and more breathable.

As for price, BF jackets can get very expensive when you start adding on things to them. The base price for the CB is $135, and with pit-zips it's $150. I don't think any more pockets are necessary, as the two hand warmer pockets that come standard are huge. But you are getting an amazing, custom fit fleece for the money, that can do things that other $150 fleeces can't. BF doesn't charge shipping on anything either.