PDA

View Full Version : Comfort rating report

Ethesis
10-28-2017, 19:33
My wife ran a test last night of the REI garage sale gear she fit:

”Was able to try out the new sleeping bag and pad last night. It was 36 degrees out there and I was toasty warm. Was using a Marmot Phase 20 bag and a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm pad. Both were picked up at the REI garage sale for killer deals. Picked up an UL trail jacket too .. Now I just need a winter backpacking trip.”

She was actually too warm. Usually sleeps a little cold.

The Marmot works well as a quilt too.

Ethesis
10-28-2017, 19:46
Now I need to figure out which bags will let me zip together since she prefers to sleep that way.

Any advice appreciated. Feathered friends and the REI magma make it clear how to do that. Marmot’s web site was useless.

Thanks.

Leo L.
10-29-2017, 03:56
To the best of my knowledge and experience, your'e able to fit togetheronly two bags of the exact same make&model, one with LH zip, the other with RH zip.
Nothing else would work.

Ethesis
10-29-2017, 15:20
To the best of my knowledge and experience, your'e able to fit togetheronly two bags of the exact same make&model, one with LH zip, the other with RH zip.
Nothing else would work.

feathered Friends makes two bags. One LZ only, one RZ only that zip together.

But this Marmot is a sort of top zip, and appears to only be sold in one side zip so there isn’t one available that is an RZ to mate it with.

I think I’m out of luck.

I had done a fair amount of searching, etc. before I asked. I was hoping Marmot had a FF type offering that I had missed.

REI bags in this niche mate similarly. I’ve tried them out in the store.

Ethesis
10-29-2017, 15:22
http://featheredfriends.com/choose-sleeping-bag/

Quote:

”Linking BagsWe use the same #5 YKK zipper throughout our mummy sleeping bags. Therefore, a left side zip (Men's) sleeping bag can be zipped together with a right side zip (Women's) sleeping bag. Simply unzip both sleeping bags completely, then zip the two sleeping bags together.”

Ethesis
10-29-2017, 15:31
But it appears that Marmot makes lots of bags that are Liz and RZ, they don’t make any right zip down.

I guess I was being foolish hoping to find otherwise.

cmoulder
10-29-2017, 17:36
You're also going to need some straps to hold the air mats together.

Ethesis
10-29-2017, 20:10
You're also going to need some straps to hold the air mats together.
That I’ve done with a little shock cord. Easy enough. Has worked fine before.