PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen upgrades

DrL
10-29-2017, 13:21
Part story, part request for ideas

I've been using the same kitchen setup for three years now. It works, but it contains an assortment of items collected over the years and it always feels like a mini pack explosion when I stop to cook dinner.

I recently added a bear hang kit for a solo hike. That went well, so I've decided to add that to my regular gear, at least when it is warranted. The bear hang kit needed some tweaking (i.e. 40 feet of 550 paracord) so I decided to tweak the whole kitchen including the adoption of an alcohol stove. I've been happy with the pocket rocket canister setup, but HEY! let's try something new.

BEFORE:

Kept the grease pot, added a Fancee Feest stove from Zelph, a windscreen from QiWiz, an 8 oz water bottle for fuel.
Ditched the pot holder. The blue cozy works just fine.
Made a large Tyvek for my food bag. To be used in combination with the green liner. Cinched shut with some paracord and constrictor knot.
Made a small Tyvek pouch for a rock bag and swapped out the 550 paracord for DynaGlide line.
Chopped my spoon in half (I forgot to take a before picture, use your imagination)

AFTER:

You'll note that I ditched the 450 ml Toaks mug/pot and bag, but haven't replaced it. I'm still looking for a small mug/cup that I can brew a small cup of coffee in the summer. In the fall/spring, I'll bring my larger GSI mug that holds 500 mL and doesn't burn my hands. Anyone know of a small (250 mL) mug that is less than 3 inches tall? So it might fit inside the grease pot?

Looks like a reduction of 5.9 ounces when you include the GSI mug.

Any other ideas? Suggestions?

cmoulder
10-29-2017, 16:14
For a warmer-weather coffee cup I use a 4.5 gram InCycle cup. They hold 8 fluid ounces right to the rim, 7 oz comfortably. It insulates like styrofoam but it is MUCH much tougher — you can stomp on it and it pops right back. It is 3.25 inches tall, however the Fancee Feest fits inside the cup and if placed in the pot on its side, everything fits.

These are no longer available but I can send you one to try. I bought a good supply of them when I read that the company was about to go under.

Your setup is excellent... the short, wide grease pot is very efficient with the FF. I use MH food bought in the #10 cans and repackaged into FoodSaver vacuum bags, so I could not use such a short-handled spoon. I use the MSR folding spoon which is long enough for my needs, although some people don't like the small size of the spoon's bowl.

DrL
10-29-2017, 22:12
For a warmer-weather coffee cup I use a 4.5 gram InCycle cup. They hold 8 fluid ounces right to the rim, 7 oz comfortably. It insulates like styrofoam but it is MUCH much tougher — you can stomp on it and it pops right back. It is 3.25 inches tall, however the Fancee Feest fits inside the cup and if placed in the pot on its side, everything fits.

These are no longer available but I can send you one to try. I bought a good supply of them when I read that the company was about to go under.

Your setup is excellent... the short, wide grease pot is very efficient with the FF. I use MH food bought in the #10 cans and repackaged into FoodSaver vacuum bags, so I could not use such a short-handled spoon. I use the MSR folding spoon which is long enough for my needs, although some people don't like the small size of the spoon's bowl.Wow, the InCycle cup looks great. I was looking for a small version of the Starbucks $2 refill cup (polypropylene), but that appears like a lost cause. Also thought about hunting the local restaurant supply store.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JoeVogel
11-01-2017, 09:28
I am so upset these cups are not available! I have been looking for the perfect backpacking cup/mug for a long time now and this looks like it would have been perfect.

Is there anything similar currently on the market now?

DrL
11-02-2017, 09:51
Is there anything similar currently on the market now?

It appears not; however, the cups might return. Dart purchased the assets including the patents and manufacturing equipment. A quick Google search indicates some activity in 2017, so MAYBE they bought it with the intention of making the cups again. Or they bought it just to protect their current business and products.

Puddlefish
11-02-2017, 10:38
I got a GSI outdoors Cascadian cup with handle, and then sawed off the handle. It nested perfectly inside my pot. 10 oz. capacity, weighed 1.2 oz. Cost a few dollars.

DrL
11-02-2017, 23:11
Now with InCycle cup from cmoulder (THANKS!). The new cup fits well and only weighs 4.2 grams. New weight savings are 8 oz.

cmoulder
11-03-2017, 05:59
Schweeeet! :D

In GramweenieLand, 8oz (227g) is hyooooge!

DrL
11-03-2017, 14:37
It was a victory for sure. Unfortunately that was my off season project... now I need to find something else to scrutinize. Perhaps no-cook coffee options.