PDA

View Full Version : GG the 2....looks like a duplex but a little bigger?

sethd513
10-29-2017, 15:09
Now This might be out of line but it looks like the new gossamer gear the two is a little large duplex in a different fabric. Little wider on the floor. Possibly more vestibule space. Different door openings (basing this off the one I bought a little over a year ago). Fly and floor seem thin and not dog friendly. My dog hasn’t even sniffed my duplex yet until I know he’s 100% ready but im digressing.

It looks cool. It’s cheaper. Heavier though. But clearly they can do this? Did they copy zpacks? I’m by no means implying gg copies zpacks. I feel like it sounds like I’m saying etowah copied zpacks copied gg copied etc with tarps but that’s just a flat material of ones choice where the user might chose to manipulate its shape one way and his neighbor another. But this is tent is a structure. And it looks just like the duplex with a few minor differences. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
10-29-2017, 16:35
More here (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/gossamer-gear-the-two/).

GG The One has been around for some time, maybe longer than the Duplex, and if somebody was going to sue somebody they'd have done it already.

I'd wager our resident tent historian, Franco, would probably advise us that both of them are very similar to something that came before and that nothing about either of them is patentable or worth patenting.

The issue for me (which I noted in the thread linked above) is the lack of mesh in the end panels of The Two. I have a Duplex and have witnessed condensation running down the walls and dripping out via the mesh.... where would it go in The Two?

Franco
10-29-2017, 17:36
That shape has been around longer than ZPacks.
Here are three tents that pre date the Duplex :

blw2
10-29-2017, 20:17
it's basically the same as the pup tent I had as a kid... which by then was a standard old design....

I wonder why Zpacks designed theirs to have the sway back look to it.....

Franco
10-29-2017, 20:23
[QUOTE=cmoulder;2177520]More here (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/gossamer-gear-the-two/).

I'd wager our resident tent historian, Franco, would probably advise us that both of them are very similar to something that came before and that nothing about either of them is patentable or worth patenting.

That kind of makes me feel old..
Funny thing is that I had not read your comment when I posted mine.
yes, as often is the case , the one some think is an original comes well after many similar designs pre-existed.

sethd513
10-29-2017, 20:42
I see... fair enough. Good point about the lack of mesh above the bathtub. I’ve seen water drip down and out myself in my tent and thought hey that’s not to bad but didn’t look close enough to this one.

Duplex was my first tent without a vestibule zipper and I thought I was going to have to add a small single piece of Velcro in the middle when I first set it up but I’ve had minimal issues with it

cmoulder
10-30-2017, 07:56
That kind of makes me feel old..
Funny thing is that I had not read your comment when I posted mine.
yes, as often is the case , the one some think is an original comes well after many similar designs pre-existed.

Very little is new under the sun when it comes to tents... I figured you would post some pics PDQ. :)

cmoulder
10-30-2017, 08:02
I see... fair enough. Good point about the lack of mesh above the bathtub. I’ve seen water drip down and out myself in my tent and thought hey that’s not to bad but didn’t look close enough to this one.

Duplex was my first tent without a vestibule zipper and I thought I was going to have to add a small single piece of Velcro in the middle when I first set it up but I’ve had minimal issues with it

I've also had minimal issues with the door panels. However I don't often pitch in very windy places. The toggle option is a very easy upgrade, tho.

sethd513
10-30-2017, 18:19
Well I love my duplex. If I went sil though I’d go tarp tent. Preferably the cloudburst 3 is on my radar for winter camping with the dog.

Maineiac64
10-30-2017, 20:41
The shape design may have been around for a while but zpacks sure did popularize their take on it with a really great set of features. It seems like someone is trying to take advantage of the recent duplex popularity.

saltysack
11-08-2017, 11:12
Well I love my duplex. If I went sil though I’d go tarp tent. Preferably the cloudburst 3 is on my radar for winter camping with the dog.

Love my duomid for cold weather with the pup....no need to worry about mesh or floor getting trashed.

poolskaterx
11-09-2017, 21:29
I will not go back to a nylon tent after enjoying the benefits of cuben, excuse me.. now called dyneema fabric. TT Notch in dyneema would be interesting?

cmoulder
11-10-2017, 07:40
I'm luvvin me some DCF most of the time, but IME silnylon Duomid is better for winter. While ice on DCF can be problematic, it sloughs right off of silnylon.

Cheyou
11-10-2017, 09:58
I'm luvvin me some DCF most of the time, but IME silnylon Duomid is better for winter. While ice on DCF can be problematic, it sloughs right off of silnylon.

Same only hexamid and Deschutes

thom