PDA

View Full Version : Winter boots

sethd513
10-30-2017, 08:19
I’d really like to lighten my feet up this winter. For my overnights I use north face men’s chillcat 400g boots —> https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-verbera-utility

They are fine. Stiff enough for basic crampon use, micro spike and snowshoe friendly. The issues are their weight and they eventually wet out. Putting them inside the bivy or tent at night keeps them from becoming ice blocks but don’t be fooled, these boots are huge. I had to get a 14 so they would fit.

I’m grasping the concept of my vapor barrier suit and winter activities more and more each year. I’m not looking to be ice climbing all winter. We do a lot of snow shoeing, camping. A boot that could handle a set of crampons would be great. I’d also like a removable liner? I think that’s the issue I’m
having finding some warm/light. I’m fine with adding some sort of vapor barrier daily to my feet, layering socks, maybe needed a goretex sock to keep the set up light but in short, the lightest boot set up that I can get to max -temp out of. If the night temp without windchill is below -25ish Id probably stay home. Any advice would be great. Is this piece of gear even out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
10-30-2017, 09:58
Sounds like we have similar feet. You are on the right track using a vapor barrier as removable liner boots inevitably are going to be heavy. I do mostly dayhiking and have wide feet (13EEEE) so am normally stuck going up one size larger to get the width. I used New Balance winter boot NB 1000s which were a welded seam foam boot which came in widths up until last winter, they were quite light and fairly warm. As usual NB screwed with the design and came out with a new version http://www.newbalance.com/pd/fresh-foam-1000-boot/BM1000-V1.html?dwvar_BM1000-V1_color=Black_with_Grey#color=Black_with_Grey I am less happy with them as they stopped making 4E boots. I went with size 14 which is not much bigger than some of my older Columbia size 13 as NB s sizing usually is 1/2 size small. The biggest issue is that darn rubber ledge on the back of the boot which must be for some winter sport. I plan to do some research if its solid rubber and bandsaw the darn things off. One good thing with a size 14 is I do have some extra toe room for toe heaters. They are warm and my grivel strap on crampons fit well. If you use Hillsound microspikes be careful with sizing, at one point they were sized small and had a XXL size but after a year or so they upsized them and the XL is fine. I have MSR Denali snowhoes and the 14s fit the bindings.

sethd513
10-30-2017, 11:46
Peakbagger I like those boots. Good weight Savings, I personally like the heel lip as my boots have it and I know if I snowshoe in my boots without it sometimes I have to mess with the heel strap. I’m not sure if 200g would cut it though. Sometimes my feet get cold in the -temps with the 400g at the start of the trip but I’m not sure if that 400g is making my feet more damp closer to afternoon and night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
10-30-2017, 15:45
I like my Salomon Toundras. Light boots, warm being insulated with aerogel. Used them with my Grivel G10's last year with no issues. If anything, they are too warm.

peakbagger
10-30-2017, 16:36
I prefer heavy socks with VBLs if it gets real cold compared to weighing down the boot. I can swap socks in the middle of the day if need be or at night. I pick up the Darn Tuff Military grade socks and if its real cold I have been known to do the bread bag trick for a poor mans VBL. I also have acquired an appreciation for toes warmers now that I have toe room. https://www.rangerjoes.com/Darn-Tough-ECW-Mid-Calf-Boot-Socks-P8842.aspx. The Darn Tuff factory sale is next weekend and they usually have seconds of these for about $6 a pair.

Usually cold feet is a combination of poor circulation and damp feet. The circulation issue is made worse by many binding systems that compress the top of the foot. The damp feet is only solved using VBLs

The back lip could be trimmed back a lot and still have plenty of room for a snowshoe strap.

JoeVogel
11-01-2017, 08:55
I see this thread was last posted a year ago but it is about that time of year again.

I really like these boots! they are super light and they do a good job of keeping your feet warm with a decent pair of socks. Also, I have never gotten a blister wearing these.

Vivo Tracker FG

Check out the Vivo website for more details but they are a little bit cheaper on amazon.

http://amzn.to/2iHV8ml

JoeVogel
11-01-2017, 09:05
Just kidding, I'm not sure why I thought this post was older than it is lol :D

Feral Bill
11-01-2017, 11:16
I like my Salomon Toundras. Light boots, warm being insulated with aerogel. Used them with my Grivel G10's last year with no issues. If anything, they are too warm. I have had a pair of these for a few years. The insulation does not hold up, and they are not nearly as warm as advertised. OK for milder winter weather only. I know no better alternative that is light and comfortable.:(