PDA

View Full Version : White Mountains - Tropical Storm Philippe Damage

imscotty
10-30-2017, 13:06
Just a heads up, based from what I am seeing on some FB posts, looks like Philippe hit the Whites pretty good, rivers are high and dangerous, some trees down, bridges and roads washed out. I understand that the Dry River is especially bad. Reports that Route 302 near there has been closed.

If anyone has first hand reports or photos, post them here...

peakbagger
10-30-2017, 14:16
Based on limited local reports I expect crossing the Androscoggin in Shelburne may be shut down possibly for few days. The dam immediately upstream of the bridge is currently being overtopped by the river. There is also a washout on US Rt 2 west of the North road (the AT runs along North road) with no real alternative route so it means thru hikers are effectively cut off from Gorham NH. I expect we will have a better view tomorrow over whats going on as about a third of the state doesnt have power.

Slo-go'en
10-30-2017, 16:42
No wonder I haven't seen much traffic on RT 2 today. My power flickered a few times, but I didn't loose it for good. Lots of branches and pine cones litter my yard. I would think there are more then a few new blow downs on the trails. Now that is seems to be clearing out, I should take a walk and see how the Moose river is doing.

Slo-go'en
10-30-2017, 20:13
Here's a little piece of trail near me which was flooded out by the Moose River and moved these puncheons. I haven't seen water like this since Irene rolled through. There will be trees down all over the Whites, or at the very least, lots of limbs and sticks. Oh, Mt Washington recorded 131 MPH gusts.

peakbagger
10-31-2017, 08:51
As of today (Tuesday), there is no good reliable assessment on road damage in the area (511 NH hasn't been updated). The rain has stopped so I expect various agencies are going to be out and about today. Note that much of the side roads in the area are still without power.

US RT2 is closed east of Gorham. RT 302 is closed through Crawford Notch (they were blocking traffic just south of the AMC Highland Center yesterday). Both of these highways could be closed for a few days.

I see the Rattle River Hostel in Shelburne posted some photos of some flood damage in the backyard. I have one widow maker in my yard and expect the woods are going to be full of them. Anyone planning to head up to the whites had better be prepared for "interesting" conditions this weekend.

imscotty
10-31-2017, 09:19
Here's a little piece of trail near me which was flooded out by the Moose River and moved these puncheons. I haven't seen water like this since Irene rolled through. There will be trees down all over the Whites, or at the very least, lots of limbs and sticks. Oh, Mt Washington recorded 131 MPH gusts.

Is that the walk from Durand Lake to the road? Good thing they fortified the spillway by the swim hole.

imscotty
10-31-2017, 09:26
Near the Dry River Campground (Rt. 302). (photo 'Borrowed' from others)

Scrum
10-31-2017, 09:45
The local newspaper reports that Rt. 2 is closed from Gorham to Maine border. It also mentions damage to Rt. 16 near Dolly Copp Campground. Overall it reflects that this storm was more damaging than Irene. If true, it is going to be an interesting winter hiking season.

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/local/north-country-hard-hit-times-worse-than-irene/article_d7107772-bdc3-11e7-8ea8-dbb4ae2fd40b.html

The FB page for the Rattle River Lodge & Hostel right off the AT in Shelburne (between Gorham and ME), indicates that one lane is now open. Also some wild photos of the stream overflowing during the storm. https://www.facebook.com/rattleriverhostel/

Lets hope that damage to people's homes and businesses is minimal, and that it is the trails and roads that bore the brunt of Philippe's wrath.

Slo-go'en
10-31-2017, 10:39
Is that the walk from Durand Lake to the road? Good thing they fortified the spillway by the swim hole.

Yes, that's the little walk to the lake. Which is now full again. It was down a good foot before all the rain started earlier in the week. The spillway at the Ravine house dam worked, as can be seen from the debris in the picture. There were a few other branches on the walk way too.
Here's Durand Lake:

imscotty
10-31-2017, 18:35
By Glencliff, NH...

http://www.wmur.com/article/warren-home-swept-up-destroyed-by-floodwaters/13123187

rocketsocks
10-31-2017, 20:06
By Glencliff, NH...

http://www.wmur.com/article/warren-home-swept-up-destroyed-by-floodwaters/13123187Man, that is somethin’ the video!

peakbagger
11-01-2017, 01:33
The road to the Dartmouth Outing Club Ravine Lodge washed out in multiple locations so they closed two weeks early for the season.

There is bridge out on 19 mile brook which is the typical access to Carter Notch Hut. Probably not an issue except in heavy water.

The Zealand Road is now gated adding 3 miles to the hike to Zealand Hut from RT 302.

The Little River wiped out an approach to a bridge that is used in the winter to access the Twins. The same river damaged the approach to the RT 3 bridge over the river in Twin Mountain.

The AMC Highland Center has no power and it may be awhile as they are on the end of the proverbial line. They will close this weekend if the power isnt back.

US RT2 was reopened today in Shelburne with one way alternating traffic. No news on Rt 302 south of Crawford Notch. They are stopping traffic just south of the Highland Center so I would guess that its not just one stretch of the highway that is out through the notch.

peakbagger
11-03-2017, 08:53
The trail reports are tricking in with respect to the whites and it doesn't look good. I usually look at this site http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/ and most trail reports to major summits indicate that they are impassable. Given the time of year and straightened enforcement of chainsaw licensing rules there are far fewer folks who are going to be able to legally use a chainsaw to open up trails. This storm hit western Maine and the Mahoosucs so I expect anyone hiking on the AT is going to be having a rough time.