PDA

View Full Version : GPS devices

ScottP
02-06-2006, 16:57
My thru-hike beginning in march 2006 is a fundraiser for ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease. A professional marketer and web desiegner will be helping me raise funds, and they want me to carry a GPS device so that my current position can be available on the web. Does anyone know of any such device?

K-Man
02-06-2006, 17:00
Do you mean a GPS that constantly uploads your current position to a web server? If so, this might be what you are looking for http://www.laipac.com/personal_locator_gps.htm

ScottP
02-06-2006, 17:03
Yes, K-man.

K-Man
02-06-2006, 17:04
I edited my above post with a link that a Google search turned up. I am sure there are a bunch out there....search around.

icemanat95
02-06-2006, 18:42
Those sorts of systems have a front and a back end. You've got the hardware componnet which is linked to a software back end. That piece of software is going to cost significant money, so is that mission specific piece of hardware.

Those items are intended for a commerical application. You've got a fleet of twenty couriers and you want to be able to track them through their routes. You've got 30 ambulances and you want minute-by-minute updates on where they are, etc. Often there is a significant starting cost and often the systems are sold with a minimum package of software and 10 locators with upcharges for each pack of additional locators. I wouldn't be surprised if this solution (as described in the link above) costs upwards of 2K just to get started. Could be A LOT more...it's usually a pretty good indicator when there is no price listed.

One locator and the software to back it up is NOT going to be cost effective for you.

A better option might be to get a Nextel GPS capable phone with Trimble Outdoors GPS software installed. Combines two gadgets in one package. You can call up adaily position and telephone it home to a trip coordinator who plots the position on commerical software, pops a screeenshot and posts that to the internet. It isn't automatic, but its also not going to break anyone's budget.

ScottP
02-06-2006, 23:03
What about a GPS system designed as a car anti-theft system such as this product: http://www.vehicle-tracking.com/products/3100_int.html

Cuffs
02-06-2006, 23:35
What about a GPS system designed as a car anti-theft system such as this product: http://www.vehicle-tracking.com/products/3100_int.html

I have used that system (for work) and while it looks reasonable in price, that is just for the unit. You then have to pay the service fee... It usually runs around .25cent per "ping." A ping is the signal that is sent. You can set the ping at different intervals, as close 30 seconds to about 10 or 15 minutes... Even on the long end, thats a $1 an hour... 24 hours/day... you get the idea. And from personal experience, it eats batteries like snack food! Unless its hardwired to, say, a car battery...

My .02, hope its useful...

Cuffs
02-06-2006, 23:40
Adding to my previous... as I look back, its the lower end unit... it cannot be monitored "real-time." That unit keeps track of its location, then you have to download the info to computer... I have also used this type of unit (again, for work...) and it is ok... but if you are wanting to have people monitor your acitivity, you need something "real-time."

Look into APRS, just google it, and you should get back more than enough info. Its based on Ham radio & gps technology. I use that and it works great... Lots cheaper than paying for a service. I also do agree with a previous post about a gps enabled cell phone as a viable option... but I havent seen them in action to know exactly how they work...

TJ aka Teej
02-06-2006, 23:56
My thru-hike beginning in march 2006 is a fundraiser for ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease. A professional marketer and web desiegner will be helping me raise funds, and they want me to carry a GPS device so that my current position can be available on the web.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but skip purchasing the expensive gadget. Have the savings donated to your fundraiser. Your approximate location will be very easy to guess once you get going.

ScottP
02-07-2006, 00:40
Teej, I agree, but it's the idea of the person doing the website for me.

Illinois Coy
02-07-2006, 01:14
My thru-hike beginning in march 2006 is a fundraiser for ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease. A professional marketer and web desiegner will be helping me raise funds, and they want me to carry a GPS device so that my current position can be available on the web. Does anyone know of any such device?

You probably don't need a GPS on the AT. You can be in almost any town in 4 days and do your work from there. It is doubtful that anyone tracking you will want to know your whereabouts every single day. The trail markers (blazes) are usually about a quarter of a mile apart and if you don't see one for a mile you should go back where you came from. Illinois Coy 2001.